Florida Boaters Alert!
2288,1316,and several other bills were rolled into 2 bills,HB955 and HB989.
These 2 bills address many boating issues in Florida such as construction and funding of ramps and marinas.They were passed by the legislature and have gone to the Govenor to be signed.The environmental extremists are fighting this signing and we ALL need to take the time to write him in support of these bills.Time is short! Here is more info and an easy way to respond;
This is from the Marine Industries Association of Florida.
Urge Governor Jeb Bush to sign HB955
Working Waterfront Legislation
House Bill 955 addresses a major issue facing Florida today, preserving public access to Floridas waterways. This bill is important to the State of Florida to protect the $15.7 billion generated by marine industries in this state and its 180,000 jobs. This bill has been a work in progress for two years and is the first step in protecting public access for future generations. House Bill 955 includes the following provisions relating to Working Waterfronts:
1. The bill prioritizes the need to recognize the benefits generated by marinas and other working public waterfront businesses before they are lost to future generations.
2. House Bill 955 defines recreational and commercial working waterfronts.
3. While requiring coastal communities to encourage the preservation of recreational and commercial working waterfronts in their comprehensive plan. It also encourages expanding the Waterfront Florida Program within the Department of Community Affairs and providing funding.
4. HB 955 requires the Department of Environmental Protection and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to study the current uses of state parks and identify possible opportunities for recreational boating within those parks.
5. The bill also recognizes the importance of our waterways for engaging in commerce.
6. Establishes a tax deferral program for qualified recreational and commercial working waterfronts by providing much needed relief for escalating waterfront property values.
Please take a few moments of your time and fill out the following email to Governor Jeb Bush asking him to please sign House Bill 955 into law!
Urge Governor Jeb Bush to sign
Marinas & Boat Ramps Legislation
House Bill 989 relating to Public Marinas/Boat Ramps/DEP
is going to Governor Bush for his approval and needs your support! Please take time to read this message and email the Governor to let him know that you support this very important piece of legislation!
House Bill 989, Public Marinas/Boat Ramps/DEP, by Representative Stan Mayfield is a very important piece of legislation dealing with public access to Floridas waterways and does the following.
The bill amends Florida Statute 373.118 relating to General Permits.
Requires the department to adopt by rule one or more general permits for local governments to construct, operate, and maintain public marina facilities, public mooring fields, public boat ramps, including associated courtesy docks and associated parking facilities located in uplands.
Exempts a facility authorized under this permit from the development of regional impact if it complies with the comprehensive plan.
The facility must comply with manatee protection plan and must obtain Clean Marina Program status.
Limits the marina or mooring field not to exceed 50,000square feet over wetlands and other surface waters.
Facilities permitted under this law must be constructed, maintained and operated in perpetuity for the exclusive use of the general public.
The effective date is July 1, 2005.
The bill also contains the FWCC legislative package for 2005 including changes to the Boating Advisory Council. The other FWCC changes of interest to MIAF are the additions of boat access and working waterfronts to the responsibilities of the Council for recommendations to FWCC.
Please take time to email Governor Bush the following letter respectfully requesting his favorable approval of House Bill 989!