STV dreamer

BEST RIVER ROCKET PROPS!

New to the RR and want to know what those with RR's are running for props.

General daily use prop, top end prop and drag prop.

Currently have 3 I used on my ProComp...14.5x30 E.T (Tillman) bought from J. Morris, 14.5x30 Cleaver(now lab by Merc) and 15x32 Cleaver (merc lab).

Any of the above I should keep or all of them.....what would be a great addition?

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

Rich, have you been out at all yet?

How many rpm are you comfortable with turning your drag prop? That will help with the advise.

Last year when I first had it and put on my motor w/20" mid.....so not very well set up and not fully comfortable. Basicly ran the 15x32. Willing to turn it to 8500-9000 for short bursts.

The 20" was high and the Alien cowl probably didn't do the boat any justice......I've been told it would probably affect boats speed.

Also put in a light Odyssy batt., 260 cowl (which I think is lighter) and drag mid (not sure if its lighter) and I've been on Jenny Craig for a few weeks laugh.gif

Stv dreamer, I always liked the 24 and 26p drag copys for everyday runnin. I had good luck with both props from performance propeller for one person use. At 9200 plus rpms I ran a best of 109 gps on my euro. 104 with the 24p. Let your motor spin man. It wont hurt it. The big props are good for top end but thats it. Other wise ther useless. Just my .02

Kurt

Paul ran a 14x32 Cleaver on your boat and it ran nice and fast. 120ish.

I agree with Kurt, have heard great things about the Performance Propeller drag props.

GPI is having success with Hoss props for good all around cruizers. (28P).

Note: all these props are less than 14.5 dia.?????

The real Yamaha props have a better holeshot that the copies, but the copies run better on the lake. The Yamaha props are cast in a fairly poor material that allows them to flex more giving a better launch, but flex a bit too much for everyday use. The older style Yamahas are not the same as the new ones. There have been 3 different generations that I know about, with the earliest being the thinnest and a slightly different alloy from the rest. These tend to be the bst for racing, but tend to crack easily in lake use.

If you are going to be lining up along side of someone pretty regularly, a good 24p Yamaha is hard to beat, but it will need to be worked.

For good lake use a 26p Yamaha copy from Performance Propeller is a great prop. Steve Tillman's copies also seem to work fairly well.

For a bit more top end, a 28-30p ET or RE-3 would be my choice. Light River Rockets seem to like the RE-3 a bit more than the ET - less bow "hunting" at speed. See if you can try one of each. I have a Chopper that has been cut like an ET (the original ET's were re-cut Choppers), that is a great prop.

A 30p Merc Cleaver is a fantastic running prop. The 4 blades are a lot of fun. The 32p will allow several more mph on the top end but it can be a but quirky to drive on some boats.

Well worked SRX 27p props are a lot of fun as well. The 29p will require a bit more work than the 27p.

I have not run any of the HOSS stuff modified like Randy suggests. But I am thinking about ordering one to try.

The big deal is to find a prop guru that knows how to bend and work a prop for an STV. The difference in a stock prop and one that is worked (correctly) for your set up, is night and day.

I hope this helps.

I have a performance prop drag wheel...It's a 28 as I recall...Tim does good work

on these props...The first thing I did was cut myself while walking behind the

boat...They have some sharp edges...Performance does 3 and 4 blade drag

wheels and I've heard the 4 blades work well...Also you can get the higher

pitch wheels whereas Yamaha only goes to 24 (I think)...Haven't been on the water

much lately but when I get out I run the perf prop drag and am very happy

with it...Just my .02

Wayne, Hoss props work good on just about everything. They have been around for years and I guess people want to try the "prop of the moment" and pass the Hoss stuff by.

Back when I was doing a lot of lake ridin/racin, we all graduated to 15x28 Merc cleavers done by Jeff Titus in Florida.

David Berry bought about half a dozen props from a guy getting out of boating. One of them was a Titus 15x26 Merc cleaver. At that time, lots of us had Hoss props, some were running Yammies, no body would use a cleaver cause they slipped too much for play racin from a punch.

Well, after about 3-4 weeks of David kickin tha livin shit out of everyone, Titus's phone started ringing.

The guy is an absolute magician with a cleaver, his stuff looks like no one elses and runs that way too.

BTW, they feel sweet on a STV, cause that is what David had. I ran mine on my Mirage, lots of tail lift and as much bow lift as you wanted, sweet driving and fast, fast, fast.

ER

The Yamahas are currently available in 22p, 24p, and 26p.

They used to be available in 20p and 28p as well - a few are still around.

Galen,

I have a couple of older Hoss props. I just don't have any that are like the ones Randy has mentioned.

The Hoss and Propco units were great props on my old Lazer LTV - what a ride that was.

I have heard a lot about Titus's work, but have never run one of his worked props. I know he works a few drag props for some of the guys in this area.

RICH,

I Have had good success with the Jabofo 2 Blade Slingers by Jimi Jabofo from Bomphock., QC. biggrin.gif They are excellent for drags, and Top end as one blade is 22 pitch and the other 34 and depending what trailer ball hitch it is worked on the diameter can vary from 12 to 15 blink.gif

Seriously You have some good props alreadythere is no better starting point then getting what you have and getting them all checked for pitch, rake angle and diameter then having them balanced and blueprinted.

Harold at Markham Marine can assist with those items

Thanks Mr. Tripp... alot of great info. I love these forums.

My ProComp came with the 15x32 Cleaver and I've ALWAYS found it to be my favorite and most forgiving prop....never seemed to get outta whack on me. Speedmaster had my 30 Cleaver labbed at Merc for my PC, I assume it should run OK on RR. Hopefully I can be running this weekend. smile.gif

There is a 24 True Yamaha I found, just back from performance propeller...I'm gonna add it to my collection for some Drag fun. (unless Ya'll think other)

Anthony, you can be the test pilot for those props rolleyes.gif

Procomp, I'm looking to get well beyond 120 this year.....or I'll sell this one too and buy one thats a gauranteed performer.....not like I haven't driven a distance to Minnessota before.....HINT, HINT. Faster, SAFELY of course.....I'm not foolish. I enjoy LIFE too much to get stupid.

Dreamer, you have the new mid and guages ready to go for this weekend!!! holy crap, we need some of your motivation over here, one or maybe 2 of about 9 boats is ready for the water!! I hope to be in 2 weeks, still waiting on my lower unit to get back from Titus, and then get the gears put in it.

RPM, it is all part of my master plan, your boats are not going into the water till mine is done.

Dreamer you have some good props there, that 14.5 X 30 from mercs lab is hard to beat....... do NOT fool with it..... just run it.

Try Tim at Performance Propeller for a great lake prop, did Blake show you his Blades for Barney? His lake prop has 120 in it and from a 30 mph roll will KILL a Yamaha 24.

Jims old prop will work well too. The cleaver is a nice peice, but I think you will like the prop from Jim the best for everyday use. Just keep an eye on all the blades for crack.... sometimes you have to look and feel them.

You have all the peices of the puzzel to get that 120 mark. Don't give up so fast, the 120 mark is not something that is easily broken, most won't see it. Setup and seat time are key.

With the power you have, low 120 should be in the bag.

Before you sell it, a trip to Wallys to have the bottom blueprinted would be money well spent.

RT

I've been in the shop till midnite for a week just buffing and polishing the snot out of everything. Even learning myself how to do touch up gel work....3 tiny spots.

New gauges and CF dash should be in about a week and its gonna look real good.

Gearcase should go on Sat. morning along w/ cleaned injectors and fuel plumbing.

Race115 is the guy who has done a LOAD of work on this thing. I just get in the way and drink his beer. His shop is equipped with everything.....I have a Sears 295 pce tool kit thats been opened twice. I needed to see how this stuff goes together and Brian knows his way around it like the back of his hand, so I watch and learn. Thanks Buddy smile.gif

RBT - you firestarting feces stirrer, a 26p Hackney SHOULD kill a 24p Yamaha from 30mph on. But out of the hole.....in a drag race......

The 26p Hackney (Performance Propeller - Soddy Daisy, TN) makes a GREAT lake prop. A 26p Yamaha on the other hand.......

Rob wouldn't know a good 24p Yamaha if he sold one to a friend. By the way, thanks. I bet I see 120 with it before BARNEY sees 120 with the 26p Hackney. wink.gif

HEHE Thanks Wayne,

Those Hackney props are awsome. I am going to order a 26 three blade and a 26 four blade for the SRV.

I am getting hard to work on Barney tonight, it will be a few weeks yet and the long brake in process for all 24 rings.

Dixon runs my old cleaver for lake dragging....... I think I want that one back, I wish sometimes I never sold any of my stuff.

RT

on the Cleaver you sold - I think Dixon said something about cold dead hands......

RPM - you KNOW Rob can't count, don't you? Ask him how many bearings he uses on the wrist pins. ANd how many times he counts them.

re rings- sealing and pistons- I would say that I have an inside line on that info-- as for counting the wrist pin bearing-Rob learned the four count rule from me!!!

paul smile.gif

Phil....done in 3-4 days...$160 cash for flow/clean and new filters and testing. Came back with a chart and all were up about 2-3.

So, from a stand still drag start the 24 Yammi is the better of the 2 out of hole to finish, but rolling start the Hackney has more balls to run.