AnthonySS

Attn GPI re: Merc Cleavers

RANDY,

I recall that last summer we had a discussion regarding old Merc Cleavers Vs New Merc Cleavers.

You verified that there is a difference and that older Merc Cleavers where preferred. You then took an edge of paper and set it to prop C/L and aligned it with the blade tip to verify what an old and new style cleaver is. Can you share that useful verification process with us again and enlighten us on the preference for older Cleavers.

THANKS in advance

This is an old style

post-6-1116600658.jpg

Due to my huge "before memorial day" work load, I haven't posted on this thread. Anthony, I'll try this weekend as it will be a long post..

Randy

Awesome...I will look foward to the reply...ENJOY your weekend...I just got back from our long weekend (5 Days) and even had the "bus" out

I have a break in the action so here is my take on the cleavers and some other things going on around here.

The old cleavers (including the VC cleavers) from mercury are my favorites because the rake angle was set right in the middle of what Merc had been trying. The early "low rake" cleavers were just to flat for the new generation V6s of the day. The in-line 6s needed the low rake to spool up as the "high rake prop hooked up harder and carried the boat better. As time went on there was a change to the cleaver line. They got thicker and were based on a 15" diameter blade form. Whatever happened they never seemed to run as good even when cut down to 14 1/2 or 14". Sometimes when prop technicians add diameter to the prop form they move the blade out from the hub. When doing this it changes the blade form just enough to screw it up. (sometimes it can go the other way) The original 14 and 14 1/2 REAR LOADING HUB cleavers are my preference as they always run best. Not the most durable but the numbers are always there. Anthony's prop is of the first front loading hub vintage and a great prop. It was made BEFORE the "new" version.(15" casting)

On a different note: I have done some testing of my boat and the new T3 generation Triton props. This is the latest chapter in the Triton evolution and I think we have a perfect prop that is very versatile wheel. I have a 14 1/4x26 and 14 1/4x28 that I have now run some serious tests and comparisons on. I did'nt go for brute top speed but general performance. My STV RR has some pretty potent power but before when running 26" props and stuff the rpm's always were high but the speed was always a lot less than a 28 or 30. Blade drag to run the same speed we always thought. I now have a 26 that runs numbers like my baseline 28 (T1) but wow does this thing punch. The tests were from a 20-25 roll and a little past 1/4 mile, 3/8 mile tops. (any further and you've beached it) The little 26 would run past 10000 up to 10200-10400. Mid 120s for speeds. The 28 would run just about 9800 in the same distance and about 5mph faster. Not as much punch though. The 26 was really fun to drive as it just pulled so hard.

There is a new prop that Dave is working on. "project SPP" is loosely based on the old merc "offshore" prop that was so fast when we could get them. We will have some of these at the Ally 50th rally. If anyone is going be sure to try one along with the new T3 Trtion. There are a pile of people going and not everyone has an Allison. I'm bringing the STV and John Iverson is bringing his Triad V21. BTW we have a T2 Triton on the V-21 and it was 4-5 mph faster with much better punch than the lightning ET we were using up until that test.

You guys may wonder why I'm so hung up on Dave and the Hoss props. He is the only prop guy that 1) knows what he's talking about 2) is open to suggestions or changes that I might want to try 3)makes a great product already 4)is willing to try some things that don't work to get to the ones that do. To many times I've asked for a prop to be made by someone only to not get what we needed. Dave is willing to work for success rather than make claims and shoot from the hip.

Hope this is of some interest over the holiday and I'll be back out tomorrow if the weather holds.

Randy

Excellent info...RANDY...THANKS...when we get an STV again it will be nice to check and play with some of those Tritons.

Hope you guys are having a nice long weekend smile.gif

Yes the Tritons work very well on STV's. I tried an old 14 x 28 Triton that was 4mph faster than my Merc real ET28!

Year's ago the claim on Hoss Triton Props was that they wasted no energy on Bow or stern lifting, they where just maximum foward thrust props.

Is that claim still true?

The props still have some lift. The originals did too. Not as much as a chopper but much like a et or yam prop. We were playing with the rake angles and have found a pattern that works. The original tritons were mostly 14" diameter and when run super high gave the illusion of no lift. They just needed to be run at the proper height to take advantage.

Randy

Dave's props are amazing. Anything that tops a Lab ET by 5 mph GPS gets my vote. My boat really likes the T2, I can't wait to try the T3.(hopefully this weekend).

I'm super busy today but I will post the results of all the testing and the "new" props we got to try. Hope you can bear with me.

randy

tis the season, very curious if one of the hoss props is the way to go. I am running a 98 euro with a freshened Jay Smith 2.5 carb. All this talk of a hoss, definitely goes against conventional wisdom, but we are running tunnels arent we. I would not knock the et, I have it to be a really good preformer, but The Merc Gurus will always push you toward labbing, and the cleaver. ph34r.gif

Hi Fellow STV Owners!

I'm not new to hi-performance but a proud new owner of 1996 Euro with a 225 Pro Max with 1.87:1 Sportmaster lower (all immaculate). The engine height puts the prop shaft approximately 1" above the bottom of the boat. I don't have access to a GPS speedometer (yet), the mechanical Medallion says top speed to be around 93 mph. I'm currently turning around 6600 RPM with a 14x30" Merc Chopper. The package came with a Mazco RE-3 29", turned around 6800 RPM. I'm wondering if a Hoss Triton 1 will help with the porpoising issue that's encountered between 70 to 80 mph. My goal is to find a propeller/set-up that will limit or eliminate the porpoising. Any suggestions?

rolleyes.gif

CHARGER 18,

Thanks for stopping in...sounds like a really nice rig...The Mazco will probally be a beert prop then the Chopper.

You'll need 14.5" of diameter and don't be disappointed...but the porpoise will only go away with seat time and as you learn to drive thu it.

Its a trait on all boats like this.

There are articles on bored on how to over come the porpoise...check them out in the Library Section.

Yes ceertain props will assit with driving thru the porpoise...I have no experiance with the HOSS tho.

If you get a chance to try a Hoss Triton then PLEASE due. I tried a 14x28 Hoss and it was 3mph faster than my Mercyry ET28. As for the 70-80mph bounce the best to do is drive through it and then drop the speed back to around 70... and just cruise by everyone else.

On the hoss prop, are you talking the stock off the shelf product, sold to the general public, or are we talking going the next generation like the one Randy was talking about. I am all for a prop coming out of the box, tweeked and ready to roll specifically tuned for an STV.

Here's a picture of the Hoss 14x28 which was faster than my ET28. It belonged to my friend who since sold the prop and as far as I know it's from the mid 80's. Maybe Randy can add more info. But I can tell you this prop "ROCKS"! Has little steering torque, ran best with propshaft 1" up. Now a funny thing was he also had a 14x30 which didn't run as well overall.

post-1-1120010309.jpg

As for the Tritons in question, they are my favorite "all around" props. I like the way they carry and handle. The Gen 3 Tritons which we have just completed the developement on are better in about all respects from the original (which is pictured). Stronger, quicker and faster on the big end. But....the "pie plate" prop protos I ran for the first time 2 weeks ago are so incredible it's hard to describe. The 28 punched like a 26 but pulled hard to top end. It handled better than any prop I have ever run..anywhere. It was 1-2 mph slower on top than my Gen 3 Triton but the midrange was soooo much better. (and my Gen 3 stuff is very good) Dave is preparing a second generation "pie plate" for me to test that we feel will run 2-3 faster on the big end but keep the punch. These props will hit the market in late summer-early fall. Couple more tests but Dave is on to something big. (Tony Brucato tried a couple and ordered 3!) (one of every size) I have some world-beater Tritons now...but some even better things are coming. He's taking orders but can't complete them 'till fall (pie plate props). The G3 Tritons are out now.

Hope this is the info your looking for..

Randy

Will the G3 be good on all STV's....Light and heavy and with motors from stock 200's.

My Example would be like a Euro with a 200 HP...what do you think? I guess we just need to try

Anthony,

They seem to work good on about every boat we've thrown them on. We did run on the low power stuff and it works better actually. Even the 30's punch good.

Wayne, I've been getting all mine cryo treated and race prepped (lab finished?). They have been running $880 the way I get them. There are many variations and the cost follows that. The square hubs are more for instance. Call Dave at 918-479-5167. He can give you the low-down.

Randy

Maybe I can tell you how they run on a Euro.

Hint, Hint, Randy!!!!

i have a pro comp with a 2.4 200 and i am looking for a prop for it .right now i have 30x14.5 lab cleaver that i borrowed and it pulls 6400 with that .so i was going to look for a lab cleaver but i would like more info on these props.how would it be against the cleaver?