RPM Racing

best plugs for 280 with drag elec.

What plugs are you guys using? I have heard to use any of the following, Champion QL77CC, QL77JC4, and L16V.

What works best? the 280 has a 849849 box set up for the 280 and a 56lb psi fuel system. Timming will be 25' at WOT.

Been using NGK BR8HS which is the replacment for the Champion QL77CC

At the Ally 50th rally, (which I gave rides at 120+ to whoever wanted to) (faster than anybody there..he he) I ran a champion plug LG505. It is a gold pladium tipped plug they special build. Much like a L77JC4 but fine wire tipped and using a copper spacer instead of a crush washer. This plug was first used in the OMC F1 V-8 and I've been hording them ever since. Some test data from our prop tests there. 24 hoss triton=10800rpm 26 triton=10200rpm 28 triton=9800rpm This was with 27cc heads and the motor low on the jack with it pretty rich. Lake boat setting so to speak. I ran a new prop called a "pie plate" and it was a world beater. The 28 punched like the 26 triton I had but ran great top end and at under 10000. It shows so much promise so Dave is going a head toward producing this prop. I will have some prototype ones running shortly. It worked good (better) on every boat we put it on.

Randy

1:87 gears when I boar around on the lake. They punch better than the 1:75's laugh.gif ! I gave a former F1/F2 driver (one I raced against way back when) a ride on Friday(ally rally). We ran the 26 and he said after the ride it was the hardest accelerating boat he had ever been in. I thought wow....but it does pull REAL hard. The set up as I have it now will not pull huge top end numbers but it's WAY more fun to drive. The fastest pull on Thursday was 131mph. But it gave 125 mph rides with two of us, so I guess I like the overall package better. And the short runs (3/8 mile or so) are way easier on parts.

Randy

I can vouch that the boat pulls hard, I took some video while riding in the boat and will be posting some later this week, when Randy stabs the gas the camera always jumps towards the sky. A very cool ride indeed. biggrin.gif