STV_Keith

Hydraulic Steering

OK, I think it's time to step up to hydraulic steering for my boat. I'll need a side mount setup. Want a good head, but something that's not so heavy as to crack the dash in the oceans we have out here.

Are there places that sell a complete kit, or am I best off piecing together parts from here and there? I've been told the Sea Star Pro helm is nice, and so is the mayfair and Latham rams.

What are you guys running? I want a system that holds a center, unline the baseline Sea Star setups I've seen. Also, adjustable ratio is nice - like the Capilano helms, but that's too heavy.

Suggestions?

a capilano helm wouldnt fit under the dash of my euro without

mods. a seastar pro helm will not work with a side mount un-

balanced cylinder. (one that pushes more fluid one way than the

other.) i used a sea star 2.4 helm with a mayfair side mount

ram. it worked excellent. but the wheel will not center back.

good luck.

matt

Is there a quick release feature on any of those helms so that once you find where center should be (again), just release, center the wheel and let her rip?

As far as I know none will center again on it's own. Also since there is some internal hydraulic slip you want to get a steering wheel with 3 evenly spaced spokes. I purchased mine from http://www.surplusunlimited.com/ and the current price is $860

Don't think you will get it to center..That's why you lose

the button trim and have tp go to the turn indicator types or foot

controll types

my euro with the side mount ram and the 2.4 helm

was about 4.5 turns lock to lock. if you go with a

helm that is too small it will take you 6-8 turns

lock to lock. thats not real responsive unless youre

driving a barge maybe. if you want youre steering

wheel in the same exact place each time you better

stick with cable.

Several guys I know use the Sea Star helm with a side mounted Latham or Marine Machine cylinder similar to what you would find on an offshore type race boat.

I have this set up on my boat and absoutely love it. There is no "slip".

The wheel does not go back to center after a series of turns, but I do not see this as a problem. A wheel with spokes at an equal distance from each other is nice, but not absolutely necessary.

If you are used to trim buttons on the wheel, you can do it one of 2 ways. Get a Cordless Rotary Trim type wheel, Rex Marine has a nice set up. It will run about $600.00 for everything. I have also seen guys use the "turn signal" type switches and they work good.

I have also used trim buttons on the floor and this is the simplest and cleanest deal.

The side mounted cylinder is, in my opinion, the safest steering system for our type boats. Very stout and few areas to fail.

Cruising and having NO wheel torque to fight is way cool.

ER cool.gif