Guest dma251

reproduction cowling question

Guest dma251

Does anyone make a decent quality fiberglass reproduction of the 95 style 2.5 cowling? My plactic one has all kinds of heat bubbling on it.

I want a brand new one, but don't want the Merc plastic kind, but will the fiberglass cowl bubble?

I like the 90's style better then the Alien type.

It sounds like you are looking for a reproduction 260 (or early drag) style cowl. The 260 type has 3 rectangular depressions on the front sides of the cowl. The later Drag cowl has 2 rectangular raised areas in the same place and is about an inch longer. Both types use the same lower pan cowl.

I know that for the 260 style, there are several aftermarket sources - Triad Powerboats, Eagle One, even "Alaskastreaming" on S&F has a mold.

I don't know who can build you an aftermarket Drag style cowl, but I am sure there are sources available - I just don't know of any.

I would suggest that you post this question over on S&F as well.

Guest dma251

Thanks Wayne. I posted it over at S&F and they kicked it over to the "Parts wanted" section. No big deal....

Triad makes them? I didn't realize that. Do the fiberglass cowls have any drawbacks, like bubbling or excessive weight?

Triad does build them - when they have the time. They also build an Alien type as well. They are as light as the stock plastic ones, but stronger, stiffer, and hold up much better.

The problem is getting them to make them - usually in the off season. But I know they have a couple of Alien style ones built now. I am trying to get them to build a 260 style one now, but they are pretty busy these days.

Guest dma251

That's good to know - unfortunately my cowling plans just got put on the shelf until I can find another lower unit. My CLE is in a bad way so now I get to find out what high-performance boating is REALLY all about - buying parts!

Damon,

How bad is the case? Can it be salvaged by replacing a few internal parts?

If you need another gearcase, these would be my choices:

Torquemaster - Have a nosecone put on and follow the work on the modified gearcase thread on this site.

Sportmaster - Run it stock or follow the mods on the thread mentioned above.

Sportmaster with nose cone - with mods.

All three of these cases use the double bearing on the driveshaft that many of the CLE's did not have.

If you are going to buy a used case, MAKE SURE you know how hard it has been run, how well it has been cared for, and what kind of shape the skeg is in. STV's are hard on skegs.

Just my .02