Brandon

Ocean's 2.5xs powered Euro

I am really curious on seeing how the Euro will handle 500+# on the transom...not in speed, but handling...keep us posted...will it be available for sea trials?

Thanks Brandon

I am really curious on seeing how the Euro will handle 500+# on the transom...not in speed,  but handling...keep us posted...will it be available for sea trials?

Thanks Brandon

Anthony,

The 2.5xs only weighs 450lbs so it shouldnt be all that terrible.. Yes the boat will be available and posted for sale as soon as its finished and dialed in.. I'll keep you guys posted on the performance of the boat...And yes their will be test drives for anyone very interested in the boat as well biggrin.gif

I wouldn't think it would be any different than hanging an Johnnyrude on the back.

450lbs??

Weigh one, it will shock you how far off they are. I do think the boat will handle it fine, but you'll need the 1.62 gears to have any sort of regular prop for it. I've played with a few of these engines and they absolutely HATE to be rev'd. Big props or big gearing to keep it just over 6000 is what it will take.

Just an FYI

Randy

dry.gif According to Mercury's web-site, the 2.5 xs weighs in at 505 lbs. ohmy.gif

That's with a 20 inch mid. section and a sportmaster gear case. blink.gif

It's a big one for sure !!

Bruce. smile.gif

And, unsure.gif the 505lbs is with the hood off. I still think it will be OK and if it's a little tail heavy (happy) he could always take off the set back. It might need some adjustment but we are headed down that road with the new motors so might as well find out now.

Randy

I am really anxious to see how it runs too.

Randy, do they not like to be revved in the stock configuraqtion only and for that matter, can they be modified? If that road is somewhere in the future, just curious if there are any mods for these motors.

The main deal is the Motorola fuel/ignition controller. This coupled with the low port layout give the motor a lot of grunt but not high rpm capability. On the boats we played with the best performance came by lugging it down to just above 6000rpm. It "falls off" the pipe quite abruptly. It is what it is, so trying to mod the thing with all the electronics and big flywheel etc. to me is not the first thing I'd do. The way of thinking on the set up needs to change and the results are pretty satisfactory. The running quality is nice and overall, while not like a 2.5, better than most of what we'll be stuck with in the future.

Randy

Also, as of right now it would be highly expensive to modify one. Imagine throwing all the ignition/fuel control away, buying 260 style electrics, a PCU, an intake to put the injectors in, and then a port job. You still have a big center, heavy hood and a 3 litre gearcase. Would be easier to just build a 2.5 out of parts. This is why I feel the XS motor fills a different type of buyer and not so much the hard core guys.

Good Discussion guys...THANKS,

My concern is there going to be a setup capable of allowing the Euro to get the tail lift it needs to fly flatt and fast with the 500+ pounds on the transom....

...thoughts ?

...so this might be a nice 95 mph wonder for toting the family around the lake but is it going to get down in the "Hunch" to get to 100mph...it will be interesting....

also don't the early 300PM weigh less? or is the 469# claim on the generous side too?

My 300 Pro Max weighed 498 lbs and that was without the cowling and the trim pump.

I think that Euro will run great, if I spent the time I could figure it out, BUT we used to run the 2.5SS motors 7" back ( plus the 2" in the mid ) and the Euro ran great, Even with the extra 200 lbs, it will be a lot closer to the transom than the old motors....... meaning I think you CAN get the balance to be pretty damn good.

RT

Anthony,

Honestly I'm guessing that the motor will need to be put directly on the transom. I've been in a couple STV euro's with too much set back and they never ran right. The extra motor weight might act like this. There was a 300 Pro Max up here on a Euro. With the motor on the transom it was semi OK. They tried it with 6 inches and it ran like V-21. The tail would never fly and it even dropped when in the rough. It will be an experience setting it up and if they keep going with the experiments they'll get it right. 4 blade maybe?

Randy

Yeah...good thoughts Randy...a 4 Blade on the transom might be the ticket.

Thanks for the info on the 300 RT

We might have to put it right on the transom... right now it has 6" of set back... according to the dealer mercury hand book the 2.5xs weighs 450lbs... that might be a little off im sure..(if that is the case its only 75lbs heavier then a 280) but we'll have to try some stuff out.. most likely gonna throw a Hoss 14 1/4 x 30 and stick with the 1:87's for now and see what happens, we'll just have to take it from there..might run great like that.. who knows...but i agree with Randy, perhaps the less set back the better in this case.. I'm tryin to get the boat in the water tomorow night.. not sure if thats gonna happen were swamped with work over here...

That's the cool thing about this site...there is enuff experience and valuable information that will ease every new learning curve on the STV...

keep us posted Brandon and play safe...we're all very interested

Hey Brandon;

I don't know about anyone else,

but the suspense ph34r.gif is just about killing me !!

Have you got more photos and/or performance numbers on the

2.5xs - Euro yet? (No pressure) biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Bruce. smile.gif

Yeah c'mon Brandon we have given you enuff time biggrin.gif

Are you looking for some test pilots or something rolleyes.gif

If you need test pilots Brandon............have I gotta deal for you !! biggrin.gif

I can reluctantly take some time off work rolleyes.gif and

come over there and help you out. laugh.gif

I know I'd have to put alot of things on hold for the time being,

but that's just the kinda guy I am !! blink.gif

I could even pick Anthony up on my way and you could put us both on

that job. huh.gif

Always willing to help out whenever I can. biggrin.gif

Regards,

Bruce. smile.gif

haha Thanks Bruce.... I'll be posting some pics on info soon...

hey' I'll be around wed night. I want to take it for a ride. we'll get it going for sure

There will be a feature on this boat on ScreamAndFly.com by monday, it will have all the info and our evalutation of the package smile.gif