STV200XS

Charger STV's

Is there anybody that can provide any history on the Canadian built Charger 18' STV Tunnel V's?

Were these boats built from an original STV mold or were they developed by Charger and built in Canada with permission from Summerford?

I looked at quite a few boats and ended up with a 1998 Charger STV Tunnel V. I did look at one that the owner said was an original Summerford.

Some of the 18' Tunnel V's have STV on the side and some have both Charger and STV.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I currently run one and yes they were built from authorized bought molds from Summerford...

This is a 1988

A 1998 would may have been built by Ray Staas

post-6-1124902719.jpg

OK,

Charger was started in the earily 80's, I think aroung 80-81 ( me being a 74 model am going from my sources.... who were part of this ). The boat that they started with was the 18DL charger. The bottom was designed by George Linder but did not come with a deck. At the same time Championship Marine was under licence to build the Challenger 21 in Canada. So they took a 21 deck and placed it over an 18 and made the deck mold off it. This boat won the 81 and 82 Canadain Mod-vp championships. Back in thoses days racing was ALIVE and well in Canada. As time progressed Charger built the SK version.

Then somehow an oppertunity came about that Ted Greguc ( who had raced Chargers ), and shared the same building ( Charger and Speedmaster Marine ) and was now racing STV's in the states ( after a breif time in a Stoker, where he won Havasu ). These were the heydays and Roark was building a log of different generations of Raceboats. As he progressed and developed new models and the old became obsolete he sent the molds here to canada to be built under licence to Charger. Hense STV by Charger.

The Molds that came up, were the 20 Mod-vp and Vee bottom but without the SRV deck mold ( that came at a later date with the Pro Comp Ski deck mold and the Drag bottom ), the 18 STV needle nose ( derived from the laser) and the 19 STV pickle fork, known as the sprint when built by summerford. Depending on the year of the boat depended on how good it was. The first ones ( around 87 ) were the best, and after 89 ( the economy blew up )they started to get worse. They really cut back the quality of materials. But it should be noted that they did not use the same quality that Summerford did. These were production boat, not race boats.

The 18 will not run much over 93 mph..... reguardless of power, the sponsons CANNOT expel the air fast as it intakes it, the Laser version that is a lot lighter would go faster but was always on the verge of blowover. The 19 I have heard rumors of 105+ but that isn't what the real ones will run.

Don't get me wrong, they are fine boat, just not the monsters the real deal is.

The newest boats ( not built by Charger ) are CRAP, the 18 must weigh 1200 lbs.

Hope that helps

RT

ROB...Thanks for your Input.

Something I appreciated about the CHARGERS where some of the factory options and Standard equipment.

They had neat features like...Stern Light Holder, Big Knee braces, rear seat prop (like a hood prop) with holder, etc.

Optional equipment was like: foot trim with Large dead foot rest, for passenger too, Foot Throttle and They even had there own steering wheel with remote trim on all 3 spokes, Kill switch, Jack plate, etc.

Lots of quality wiring too....

The boat is built like a tank and they are good runners

OK -

Then -if I read this correctly - Most of the early Summerford molds are in Canada at Charger. The 18 foot LTV and the 20 foot LTV (both race and bass decks) are still at Lazer in TX, and Triad has the ModVP, ski, and their deck molds.

Where is the "Drag" hull mold. I have heard rumors of it being in Canada and in a couple of other places.

CHARGER only got the narrow cockpit Laser/STV 18 foot MVP...Yes the the original Drag Hull and ProComp Ski Deck are also her in Canada.

The old Chrger/STV molds might be a liitle tuff these days

Charger also had the bass deck for th 18

So Charger has the V hulls NOT the mod V hulls?

I know the molds at Lazer were left out in the weather for many years. The last i heard, smeone was talking about restoring them.

Charger has mostly

mvp

18' MVP LTV/STV)

19' MVP (sprint)

20' MVP (STV) and V

Charger has mostly

mvp

18' MVP LTV/STV)

19' MVP (sprint)

20' MVP (STV) and V

The 18 foot you mention, is it a V hull, a tunnel V, or the MVP hull? All were run in Mod VP at one time or another.

As far as I know, Lazer owned the tunnel V called the LTV, and Charger had the 20 foot tunnel V (the better of the two in my opinion - IF it was kept light in lay up).

WAYNE,

Charger had the 18 MVP (round nose STV/LTV) with narrow Cockpit Deck

Charger made ther own 18' Bottom derived from Linder's Design like Rob mentioned.

STV also had the 20 MVP hull which they did make a few and then that hull and deck where sold to Charger

post-6-1124907373.jpg

ANOTHER NOTE...around 1978 the known Charger 18 SK, appeared as a boat called an MC Product 18.

All I can think is MC stood for Mike Canzano who became the owner/manufacture of Charger Boats.

We need to scan some pics of the Charger Brochure for some clarification....I'll try to dig one up

CHARGER 18 STV

Picture shows large knee braces, rear seat prop with tether, check out custom tank too for EFI motors and paltforms from battery and trim pums

post-6-1124907987.jpg

Foot Trim and Dead Foot, Foot Throttle

post-6-1124908177.jpg

Wayne,

the 18' needle nose is a tunnel (mod-vp ). The same as the Laser, BUT it was built at Summerford...... with the race deck and then at Charger. The cockpit is similar to a river rocket inside.

RT

Rob,

Thanks, I was just trying to clarify whether it was a Charger design or the "needle nose" STV that I know about. OR 2 different 18 foot boats.

Thanks Anthony as well!

I should mention, there there was a second bottom design with a very similar deck that DID not come to Canada, this was a better boat, accelerated much better and had more in it safer at top end. It is picked up via lifting strakes on the inside of the outside sponsons. Good runner, Motion ( now of offshore fame ) built a few of these.

Also we shouldn't forget the Charger 20 TV which was raced in 85-6 that was an inhouse design... not a great one, but I liked the look.

RT

Good point on the TV...we need to get some pics of that up too...cool boat...like you said.

Where Anderson's (Motion) Mold from Summerford or Laser?

Anthony, the molds the John Anderson has came from Motion, who got them form Summerford/Laser This is the bottom with the strakes, a much better runner than the Charger version. These molds are still at Quinns Marina in the barn with all the old Checkmate molds ( all the old Checkmate molds were also sent up here, and they were built as Panthers, apparently we are a dumping ground for old molds )

RT

Cool info ROB,

Who owns the Motion Mould...Quinn's?

Spaeth should buy those too..and he would have molds for one of the finest boat lines around...wonder how the MacPherson's molds are?

Thanks for all the information.

The STEALTH boats is the exact same as the Charger STV is it not?

I saw one at maximum Marine in Port Perry last year.

Was that between Charger building the boats and Tempest getting the moulds?

I am 90% sure that John Anderson ( the Toronto Maple Leaf ) still owns them, but he may have forfeited them for storage. You never know. The Stealth/Motion/STV/Laser is NOT the same as the Charger STV. There are subtle deck differneces and big bottom differnces.

As for Speith, they are worthless to him. Unless the boat is over 20' you cannot legally build them without flotation. That means it has to float level with it's maximum rated power and full load of passnegers. These boats would have to be 50% full of foam for this to work. As such boat over 20 are all that interest him. He will build boats for special people only that are sub 20'

As for the molds that Dave McPherson has, ( the Pro Comp Ski deck, and Drag bottom ) I am sure they are in fine condition. But I sure as hell wouldn't want one.

RT

THANKS ROB,

Yes good point on the sub 20's needing flotation

19 STV - Old Sprint mold with some deck mods

post-6-1125335717.jpg