Sign in to follow this  
h2ostv

280OS:Silver Dust on burnt exhaust below snout?

NEED ADVICE: I just ran my 2004 280 on the weekend and seemed to run fine. Though, when I pulled it onto the trailer I noticed just a few spackles of silver dust where the offshore exhaust exits on the housing tip where you get the burnt exhaust residue?? GOT ME WORRIED. It just wiped off easily and wasn't like a shavings. I pulled the plugs which all looked blackish on the base with the tips a light brown. With a flashlight, the piston heads shiney, and clean in the center with some blackening around the outside edges. It been running rich and throwing enough smoke. It idles okay. I don't have much wrench experience on the motor but just a few basics. What should I do next and what should I look for??? Loose tuner?? powerhead scoring?? Would appreciate feedback!!! I was going to pull the heads off.

I would pull the heads, you have o-ring heads so be carefull when you remove the heads and you can just reuse the gaskets. If everything looks fine in the cylinders I would proceed to a leak down test, you should have very low leakdown numbers if the engine has low hours (WELL under 10%)

I told ya, pull the heads! By the way, we've got a leakdown tester hear too.

Hope its blown up as I could use a winter project! LOL Just kidding. Call ya later in the week.

blink.gif Pro-comp. Must have have been that 115mph pass?? Ha!! Here it comes. Be nice now!!

When do you want me to drop off the rig at the Lab-lite shop for inspection. Sunday sounds good?? But, really, if there is some time in the next few weeks, I wouldn't mind doing a little wrenching with your help. I"ll buy the beer and you just tell me what to do if your shop's open for business. Yes, I'll buy, already have a tab running for a bottle when I dropped your keys in the drink last year. Let's not go there?? It just wouldn't seem right if there wasn't some parts, powerheads, and motors in your garage this fall. Never mind winter. I'd hate to see to bored.

Brian

blink.gif Pro-comp.  Must have have been that 115mph pass?? Ha!! Here it comes.  Be nice now!! 

When do you want me to drop off the rig at the Lab-lite shop for inspection.  Sunday sounds good??  But, really, if there is some time in the next few weeks, I wouldn't mind doing a little wrenching with your help.  I"ll buy the beer and you just tell me what to do if your shop's open for business.  Yes, I'll buy, already have a tab running for a bottle when I dropped your keys in the drink last year.  Let's not go there??  It just wouldn't seem right if there wasn't some parts, powerheads, and motors in your garage this fall.  Never mind winter.  I'd hate to see to bored.

Brian

I'll call you tonight. Sunday might work if I don't head to the lake to close things up and take the 22foot tunnel out of the water! smile.gif . Don't worry, I have lots of junk already that needs to get out of the garage for winter. 2 motors and the Euro are all going outside soon.

Brian, if its from going 115 mph in a Euro you might be throwing a curveball at B-rad.....or speedball for that matter laugh.gif

Brian, if its from going 115 mph in a Euro you might be throwing a curveball at B-rad.....or speedball for that matter  laugh.gif

Nevermind, he might not have a powerhead when he comes to pick it up! LOL Funny how things can go missing! smile.gif

B-RAD