gearcase

euro

One skeg failure at 100+...fatality

One mid section let go at 110+ ...barrel roll and guy walked away with serious bruising

One skeg failure at 100+...fatality

One mid section let go at 110+ ...barrel roll and guy walked away with serious bruising

=2 not so good. any one else got any info, i know that at that speed there's to many variables just looking for some feed back.

No, but I once came around a bay in the early spring and noticed the bay was dark in color. About 100 feet out at 110mph I realized it was ice. The bay had not totally opened up and the thing had an 'island' of black ice on it about 1/4 mile across. My first reaction was to turn but after realising that would be bad if I hit it sideways, I straightened it out and up on the stuff I went. Stopped in about the middle, I looked around to see if anybody saw me. Nope, coast was clear. The ice was too crystalized to stand on so I figured since the damage was done with the skeg and prop, I started it up and chewed my way across the thing and back into the water. Drove to the trailer and loaded up expecting the worst. Surprisingly, just the speedo pickup was bent. Not a scratch in the prop or the case.

Moral of the story is: the STV is pretty stable even when put in bad situations. :lol:

Randy

I know 2 people that had skegs break right off at 100 and both of them were fine and the boats were fine. Boats spun out and that was about it, new gear cases and back on the water.

WOW Randy...that must have sounded interesting...a 19' Ice Crusher :blink:

More Grusome photos after the mid section failure

Pink crashed out one looks like this now. So they are also very rebuild-able

post-6-1130334498.jpg

post-6-1130334772.jpg

Kurt G,

I always thought that picture of your boat was nasty, 'till I see the picture that Anthony just posted. Now that's a wreck! How's the guy's body look after that.

Randy

RT can elaborate on the guy that went thru the pink Euro...he was there

Another pic of the gearcase - less boat :o

post-6-1130338530.jpg

Oh I was there holding the radar gun when we got the driver with no boat at 109.

He had nothing more than a cut ( small ) on his leg. The next day he looked like he had gone a few rounds with Iron Mike.

I am suprised that boat got fixed, that deck was the second one, after the CLE on it broke and wrecked it the first time.

There was almost nothing left to salvage as you can see. The bottom had the braces punch through the sides. The motor hydrauliced and tossed a few rods, and the battery did a nice job of electrosis on the rest.

Oh I was there holding the radar gun when we got the driver with no boat at 109.

He had nothing more than a cut ( small ) on his leg. The next day he looked like he had gone a few rounds with Iron Mike.

I am suprised that boat got fixed, that deck was the second one, after the CLE on it broke and wrecked it the first time.

There was almost nothing left to salvage as you can see. The bottom had the braces punch through the sides. The motor hydrauliced and tossed a few rods, and the battery did a nice job of electrosis on the rest.

Thanks for the replys GPI on ice thats unreal ill try to avoid that. kurt G did your boat sink?

Reading this thread and seeing the pictures, it just reminds me that things really can happen. Not that I did not know that already, but the stv is such a stable platform, once you get the hang of it you can get a false sense of security at sick speeds. Glad you were ok kurt, that picture is scary.

Wear your lifelines and check your equipment before you run.

Wear your lifelines and check your equipment before you run.

Good reminder....safety first

:)

I broke the skeg off of a CLE at mid 95 or so.....boat hooked and threw my buddies girlfriend under the deck of the Procomp....a real eye opener.

Being only 2nd season in the boat I realised you don't run used chit and bought a new Sporty.

Good point Rich regarding used gear. Yeah starting with fresh equipment is very good idea.

I Blew a Skeg at about 60 and it only felt like the boat blew-out so the STVs are very forgiving in the 60mph range. This was moded Case...I won't run a case that has heat applied to the Skeg again...it will fail eventually

SMs can break to...this one was moded tho

post-6-1130425556.jpg

post-6-1130425744.jpg

They all fail. Stock or not, it is metal fatigue, and the aluminum that merc makes them from is CRAP!. Consider that the skeg stays straight and the back of the boat moves around, it is slowly trying to work the damn thing off. We replace the housing every second season.

We also mod our cases, and in theory are stronger as the skeg is shorter.

RT

Bear with me here.

THE Skeg should not fail if it is structurally adequate. Adding heat to the skeg will remove tensile strength that cannot be put back into the skeg and that can reduce the service life.

Yes shortening the Skeg does shorten the cantilever length to the anchor point at the Gear Housing and in theory should lessen the deflection of the Skeg. The greatest deflection will occur at the distance farthest away from the anchor point. In this case the end of the Skeg.

If the Skeg breaks it really has over-deflected and so there are a couple of factors that account for this. But the bottom line is the skeg was not structurally adequate to sustain the load on it. So we need to know what sort of pressure the Mercury Skegs where designed to sustainhave they tested the Skeg at a pressure, from the result of getting your STV into a sideways skid at say 80 MPH into a turn? I have to do some research on water pressure but 100 mph of wind translates to 25 PSF of windI wonder what that translates too in water pressure at 100 mph. (Is Jim Boat Around)

Also bear in mind that a well setup STV will have very little load on the wheel that can also translate to very little load on the SKEG. The greatest load is always under acceleration when all the forces are in theory getting hooked up. Thats why I am not a fan of hydraulic steering cause it can overcompensate for a poor setup that isnt directly proportional to what you feel at the wheel. Its the same poor setup that can put added forces on Steering bolts too.

If someone can get me some dimensions of the SM Skeg and the alloy I can run some numbers to see where it becomes structurally inadequate in PSF. Because to solve the Skeg issue we may need to look at designing more structurally sound Skegs and not always looking at going faster Skegs.

Anyway this is getting to be a good topic for discussioncomments WELCOME

What does RP have to say?

:D

When trying to go for the 140 mark I had experienced what I call 'rudder flutter'. We figured the skeg was moving, more on the lower part than up near the torpedo, and causing the boat to 'wiggle'. Since we have experimented with removing the torque tab wedge on the bottom and progressively increasing it towards the torpedo. This being that the skeg is more stable (stronger) near the bullet. Well two things happened, 1) the wiggle went away and the boat takes a better set allowing me to go to speeds I couldn't get to before. And 2) we no longer crack the skegs under the bullet and have skeg failures. It is just down to lever arm, the end of the skeg has more than near the torpedo. If you lever the thing hard enough over and over it will break. We just 'lightened' the load on the end and have the part nearest do most of the work. We surmised that the torque tab was digging a hole in the water that could not be 'filled' back up quick enough hence, the flutter. Like an airplane wing that is in a stall or has too much angle of attack. Same theory, different application. If you fly a plane hard enough to have a flow shear on the wings, they eventually come off too.

Randy

RANDY,

That makes very good sence...add more wedge to the anchor location ( near torpedo), which also inturn leads to strengthening the skeg...I like it

Post some pictures please.

Not sure on Cryo...that's a freezing process correct...? so that would tell me that if a Skeg has been heated and the molecules have dispersed, as a result the Cryo will just freeze them where they are...so I don't think that will add back to the Tensile Strength of the alloy.

The tab on my skeg and RT's has been modded like Randy describes and has been changed in shape a lot compaired to stock, all I know is the boat tracked great, very straight and no torque, the case just wants to run straight, never a blowout, and no hopping like everyone talks about at 75-90 or whenever poorly setup STV's hop.

Cool...let's see some pics of the mod...THANKS