fish

Tuner Question

Has anyone tried a land and sea tuner? I bought an offshore mid that came with a land and sea tuner on it. I just put a fresh 260 on my boat and cannot get it to turn over 72-7300 rpms. Could it be my tuner? would it be better to use the merc 260 tuner?

It has an analog box, and was supposedly a ros motor. I can't really tell what the numbers are on the back of the box other than 1150A and something illegible after that. The boat turned a 28 RE3 and 28 cleaver 72-7300 and did not get much past that. I put on a 30 RE3 and it turned the same rpms and then would not do much more. It sounds a little rich, but it seems like it is more than that. Also weird that the rpms stop climbing at just over 7k no matter what prop, but the motor is really strong up to that point.

I am thinking that the tuner maybe is not letting it wind up all the way, but really have no idea. Can the tuner have that much effect on the motor? Am I looking in the wrong place? I know a digital box would be better, but funds are tight and it was all I could do to get this drop on.

thanks for any thoughts,

fish

Its not the tuner.

Here is the deal about tuners, if you bought, built or whatever the absolute perfect tuner for your motor/boat/prop and I mean the absolute best tuner possible and ran it for a while..............then took it off and ran NO tuner, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference. That is how much difference I have seen in tuners messing with them since the V6 merc came out in 1976.

Sounds like your ECU is one of those that goes full rich at around 7500 rpm. I would say that is the deal with your 260.

Save the money you would spend on tuners and get a PCU or similar ECU. The proper fuel curve will give 10 times more difference that that perfect tuner.

INMHO

ER B)

I have seen them limp like that too with dirty injectors, a call to Brucato or Brendan Power would not be a bad idea also.

Dirty injectors......yes, a very good possibility.

I use Kinsler up Detroit way. They will flow test the injectors "as recieved" and give the results, then clean and re-test, also giving you those results. This is VERY helpful when trying to diagnose a problem. I trust Kinsler more than anyone else in the area of fuel injection. Almost anyone that answers the phone there is pretty smart and very helpful.

ER B)

thanks ER and firestarter, I appreciate the responses. I was also wondering if it was the ECU but I was not aware of a 260 ECU limited at 7200 which is about all I am getting. There is another ECU on its sister engine (came off a boat with twins), I will see if I can borrow the other ecu and see what happens and start looking for a digital box. Glad it is not the tuner, now that I think about it, it really does not make sense that the tuner would limit different pitch props at the same rpms.

BTW, The injectors were sent to brendan powers when it was rebuilt so I think they are good to go.

Thanks again,

fish

I am assuming that I have either an a32 or a36 box since it is an older offshore 260 and does not have an external tpi. if this is true, shouldn't it have an 8200 rev limit on it??

LINK TO BIGHAMMER ECU CHART

11350 A27 Early 2.5L Analog ECU used on engines with external TPI and external Speed-Limiter (Rev-Limiter) modules. (6)

A29 2.0 / 1994 N/A 39 11500 A45

A45 2.0 / 1995 2615 56 11150

A46 2.0 / 1995 2615 56 11150 A28

A53 2.0 / 1995 Service Only 2613 / 2650 56 9250

A40 2.4 2514 39 7700 821559A1

A32 2.5 Offshore Race / 1994, N/A 39 8200 A35

A36 2.5 Offshore Race / 1995 2509 39 8200 A32

A48 2.5 Drag / 1995 2511 39 11500 A38

A63 2.5 Drag / 1995 + Up 2719 / 2796 56 11500

A33 S3000 / 1994 N/A 39 9250 A52

A47 S3000 / 1995 2508 / 2522 56 9250

A52 S3000 / 1995 2508 / 2522 56 9250 A33

A61 S3000 / 1996 2717 / 2776 56 9250

A65 2.5 PROP / 1997 2622 56 8600

A49 2.5 EFI / 1996 2510 39 7750 A37

A62 2.5 / 1996 7750 Digital ECU with internal TPI. Similar to the A49. (6)

is there something that may have been adjusted on the ecu to limit it to 7200? Are there other analog ecu's that i am missing? sorry, these are probably dumb questions, just trying to figure out why i am still the slowest on stvowners :D

Have you hooked up to a Merc ECU test box to see what the fuel number is set on?

Maybe someone set it real high.

I have owned and sold a few of these motors thru the years and before I sell em, I usually turn the ECU up to 105-108. If the new owner wants to lean it down, thats his business.

If you dont know, its worth checking into.

ER B)

sounds like fuel delivery to me. if you know the injectors are good and clean, make sure the filters are the same, and the fuel line is 3/8. I would try a different ECU first off.

Evin Rude, do you have the contact information and pricing for Kinsler to clean and test injectors? Any advantage over having Tony do them?

Evin Rude, do you have the contact information and pricing for Kinsler to clean and test injectors? Any advantage over having Tony do them?

I dont know anything about Tony.

Kinslers only business is fuel injection. Racing stuff is where they make the dough. I dont know what I paid last time for a flow test/clean/flow test, but it seemed reasonable.

Anyway I have used those guys since the '70s with nothing but success.

Here is a link........................

http://www.kinsler.com/

Good luck!

ER B)

Have you hooked up to a Merc ECU test box to see what the fuel number is set on?

Maybe someone set it real high.

I have owned and sold a few of these motors thru the years and before I sell em, I usually turn the ECU up to 105-108. If the new owner wants to lean it down, thats his business.

If you dont know, its worth checking into.

ER B)

ER, I have not done it yet but I will see if I can find someone with one to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion and all the advice.

Casey, my tach could be off but I ran right around 10% with my last powerhead andyesterday (with the 260) it ran 99.4 with 30p re3 at about 7300rpms. At this point I will check anything though, thanks.

RPM, the filter, fuel pump and lines are all new. I am going to get a fuel pressure gauge though just to make sure I am getting what I think I am getting, and I will double check the lines to make sure they are 3/8. Thanks.

Thanks guys,

fish

If you don't have a 2.5 mid/exhaust plate/tuner and you have one from say a 150, that can and will hold you back. I am sure this is not the case.

RPM, if you have a fuel shortage, you will burn down.

RT

...........if you have a fuel shortage, you will burn down...................

REALLY????????????????????

I seem to remember something like that happening, not long ago either.

LOL

ER :rolleyes: