IwAnNaBoAt

How Fast?

I originally wanted an Activator 22, Now I am thinking a Triad 21. Here is where I am at. I can not decide between the Activator, Triad 21 or a Euro. I am thinking that the Activator will be a bit less peppy then the other offerings, but a lot more fun in the rough nearby (Great Lakes, Bigger Lakes in MI). A Triad or Euro will be peppier and faster on my smaller inland lake. The triad gets the nod just for the simple fact I think I would rather have a V.

So how would a Triad handle the rough? 2-3 foot swells?? I know it won't beat the Activator or Superboats, but can one still tool around in the rougher water if necessary? What about cruiser wakes?

How fast with a 225 PM ? What about an Optimax?

I know 100 seems to be within reach with a 260 or 280.

I would like 85mph for now, can upgrade later....

The activator will probably take anything I could dish it but would be a bit less fun on the calmer water I will see more of.....can you see my dilemna?

Any thoughts guys?

:D There's lots of Triad V-21 owners here, IwAnNaBoAt.

They're probably consumed with the Christmas season.

Give it a couple of days.

They'll pass along lot's of great info to you !!

Good luck with your purchase, the V-21 is a great choice.

Regards,

Bruce. :)

Edited by I Am Canadian

mine seems to be ok in the rough stuff up to about 3 footers if there isn't too much of a gap, I hate to take mine out when its rough (thats just me wanting to keep my equipment top notch). I wish the lake closest to me had only 3 footers.

Mine bridges rollers and waves very well. It will get you thru that stuff when you "have to" without a problem, but I definately wouldn't take a V-21 thru 3 footers on a regular basis. I just don''t think they were designed for that kind of punishment. In fact mine has leaked like a sieve thru the rubrail since the day I brought it home. It was either like that from Triad, or the trailer ride from the factory to Minnesota jarred something loose. You'll like how forgiving and easy it is to drive compared to other pad-v's.

I am anxiously awaiting the purchase. Currently waiting on my insurance lady to get back with me. What kind of learning curve should one expect? My only pad V experience has been in a 50 MPH Four Winns and a 50 mph Hydrostream Viper :D Other then that I have spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a ski boat or a dual engine hydrodyne. (Lots of competitive waterskiing) Should I be able to expect full speed runs during my first summer?

I had a similar ski background to yours (small world). The V-21 is much more of a rush to drive than those tugboats are. If you are used to flying a Viper on the pad you should be fine. I had a 2.5 on a Valero before my Triad, I found the V-21 even easier to drive and needing less driver input/correction. Stepping up to a 21 foot hull with the longer running surface made handling at high speeds much better for me. A V-21 with a dialed in set-up has got to be about the easiest triple digit pad-v I know of. You'll be fine....ENJOY!

How much setback is on the boat now? What year is the boat?

1998 it's scott tharpes boat from S&F. I think it has about 8 inches, but I would have to look back and see. He originally was selling with out power but knew of a PM 225 in the area and is going to rig it with that. Looking for 90mph or so with that. Of course I will have to learn the hull and probably won't see that for a few months or so.

Cool, thats a very nice boat, where are you located? I am not too far from Scott and will be taking my boat to Triad around the middle of January. I promax should run good on the boat faster than you are thinking, Jason Smouse is running around 90 with a 150. Setup is key, thats what I am working on now :D

I know that boat too,Scott sold his other triad to a friend of mine in MD,it has a carb 200 on it and will run mid 80s and it was heavier than the one he has now,like chummy said set up is key. I have a 96 with a 260 and 10 in of set back,mine is one of 2 or 3 others that were built up light according to Wally,so I have to run with some weight on one side when I am by myself,with all that said, you will like the way these boats perform and drive good luck!!!

Gary

well hey 90+ is good too. I am waiting to here back from the bank right now. Mid january eh? I probably won't have everything wrapped up with him to go down and pick it up that quickly. I am from MI. I have a cousin in GA somewhere, It's near ATL and starts wtih a D or an L I can't remember I so I will prolly stop off there on the way home.

When the factory opens on the 16th call Robin and see if she knows of any for sale, thats how I found mine.

Heh, I sent her an email. Wondered why I hadn't heard back yet! Thanks Chummy I appreciate it.