hamalin

What Happened to the 2.5 Racing Engineers

I have been trying to find out what happened to Mercury 2.5 racing engines. Are they still available? Nothing on the Merc website or other websites I have visited.

I have been trying to find out what happened to Mercury 2.5 racing engines. Are they still available? Nothing on the Merc website or other websites I have visited.

Unless you find a dealer with a new 280/300Drag/S3000 in stock, you are out of luck. You can buy them in pieces and build one, but no more complete motors.

My dealer bud told me as of Jan 3 2006, you wont believe the price increases that are coming on parts for these motors. The already overpriced parts are going up like 50% MORE.

Unreal.

ER B)

I heard that some performance shops like GPI will build a number of motors as ER suggested, but everyone is holding their breath for the f***ing that mercury might have around the corner for parts. There are some guys like Andy driver (DCI on screamand fly) who have been buying up 280's and drags, but I think they are to make sure he can continue to compete in drag racing with mercs, probably not for re-sale.

It should be an interesting couple of years with mercury supposedly making the debut of something (not a 700lb 4 stroke shrimp) at Miami in 2006, the 2.5 race motors no longer being available, and Bombardier taking steps to fill the Hi-po market that it would appear (at least to me) merc is turning its back on.

Wonder what that will do with the value of the current 280's? Maybe I should keep mine vs selling it this year?

I think no value, I'll give you $100 and be up there tonight to pick it up :D JK Larry

Seriously, it is anybody's guess. If merc has something big to offer in feb at miami, then the value might go down a bit, if not, then probably it will be more valuable. I have no idea but hopefully someone does about what the timetable is for the bombardier offering, but I am sure it will be an awesome motor when it comes out. Whether it will be comparable to a drag or a 280, who knows, but I am sure it will be quiet, clean, and good on gas :D But, if you like the 280, you may as well keep it until you know for sure if there is something else you might want, at least that is what i would do.

Wonder what that will do with the value of the current 280's? Maybe I should keep mine vs selling it this year?

I am not sure. I doubt it will go down much but the deal is, anyone looking to buy a complete motor will probably be aware that if it breaks it will be really big $$$$$ to repair.

I do see the cost of used parts going up. I have several repairable 260/300 blocks that I am keeping for that reason.

ER B)

I know that Mercury is going to make another production run of complete F1 and Champ engines in the next couple of months. But this is on the 12 inch racing midsection. I have heard that the Drags MAY be included. This means that powerheads and parts will be available. These engines will include the rubber coated reed cages, the late style rods, and the pistons/short wrist pins like are found in the Drag engines.

The prices will be higher.

I am waiting on more information on what BRP is doing with their newly announced "racing" program. This could be VERY interesting!

My STV may change powerplants if BRP release something with true potential. If BRP can't do it, it can't be done - their technology and experience is light-years ahead of Mercury. Mercury has dropped the ball, and is pising on racers and customers alike.

About merc stoping production, I wonder why they don't continue to build them for foreign markets, like Canada, Europe and Austrailia. There is a market for them here....... and hell if you are nice enough I would even sell them back south.......... hehe

RT

About merc stoping production, I wonder why they don't continue to build them for foreign markets, like Canada, Europe and Austrailia.

I think you got a great idea. I just bought a car built in Canada. Free trade and all that stuff.

ER B)

Jeeze ER I figured you would be buying Jap or German by now!

ER paying his money for a jap car, that'll be the day.

You Canadians SEEM trustworthy enough to build ER a car..................I did buy the 7 year 100K mile warranty though. (I guess your not THAT trustworthy).

LOL

ER B)

About merc stoping production, I wonder why they don't continue to build them for foreign markets, like Canada, Europe and Austrailia.

That would assume that Mercury had a buisness plan that had some kind of interest in their consumers or racers. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!!!

....I wonder why they don't continue to build them for foreign markets, like Canada, Europe and Austrailia.....

Because the bean counters say those markets are a tiny slice of an already tiny slice that's shrinking.

I'm really curious, does anybody know how many 2.5's (Hi-Perf) were being produced annually during the peak years? I'd love to see these numbers. If they are what I think they are, it doesn't take a very good calculator to see why the costs are headed where they are.

Cliffy,

Less than 100 units worldwide. Pretty pathetic huh. I was told by someone in OEM marketing that they were in fact going to sell them in Canada etc. but they hatched a deal to meet the total emission quota and the plan was dropped on the last week of June. The '06 model year took effect in the first week of July. go figure.

Randy

Dont know man... The world may be coming to a end. First I have to quit snowmobileing because it doesn't snow anymore. Now Merc is killing this sport to. It just sux man. WTF.. BS.

ER, 7 year 100k....... that sounds like a Chrysler...... Damlier.......... German.

I can tell you I have had it with American Cars ( including the ones built in Canada ).... there is a reason there sales numbers are falling.........

Wayne, Nice to have you back. As for me thinking, you should know better than asking that. I for a momment thought that a multi national company like Brunswick would have at least something scribbled on a napkin for a business plan.

Even the few motors that are produced, there is no way they are loosing money, the tooling has LONG ago been paid for, there is NO development, and the marketing mileage has got to have some goodwill attached.

RT

Even the few motors that are produced, there is no way they are loosing money, the tooling has LONG ago been paid for, there is NO development, and the marketing mileage has got to have some goodwill attached.

Obviously they're not LOSING money. But when the revenue factor (ie. volumes) is only 100, no bean counter in ANY major corporation would stand for that, no matter the profit margin. My point is the volumes don't justify the manufacturing involvement, let alone the development. And I suspect they never have. What made it go is that at one time Mother Merc valued the exposure the racing brought them and thus, justified the production even though the volumes didn't support it. They apparently no longer see any value in that exposure.

ER, 7 year 100k....... that sounds like a Chrysler...... Damlier.......... German.

No, Dodge, as in Al Bundy type.

I love my Fords, they are very good cars. Problem with the current offerings is, other than the Mustang, FoMoCo just didnt have anything with any power, especially in a 4 door. You know how old folks like 4 doors.

ER B)

ER, you should get a Civic, think of all the pimp parts you could make that little mofo.

They are so bad ass, all ya need is a hammer, punch and a coffee can to do the exhaust and a few supplies from HomeDepot to do the ground effects and wing, BANG, you got a Ferrari killer.

Oh, I forgot the Monster Tach and sub woofers.

LOL

ER B)

what ticks me off, is like me and alot of folks that have just gotten hooked on go fast hot rod boats only a few years back and now its getting shut down because mercury decided to drop the hipo line of motas, and now when we do need parts your gonna have to be freaking rich to keep going. this is bull, why did mercury decide to just quit building the 2.5s instead of trying to make them epa legal? im sure if they tried, they could do it....

Edited by merc326