W. Tripp

A strange lesson learned anecdote

Several years ago, I was buying Alisyn two-stroke oil in 55 gallon drums. I always filter and check the fuel and oil I place in all of my boats, and especially my drag boat - looking for water and debris.

One day in testing, I found something that I have not wanted to mention, but it made a noticeable improvement in power. The fuel and oil were mixed in the 5 gallon race jug and checked going into the boat - nothing different.

The testing session was very good, I picked up 1.5 to 2 tenths of a second over the testing that morning - even though it was now considerably warmer. When pumping out the remaining fuel at the end of the session, the fuel was milky. This meant that the fuel had water in it, not much, but enough. I mixed up another batch of fuel with a new quart of the same oil (but from a different source). The passes showed that I had now LOST 1.5-2 tenths and I was back to where I was earlier that morning.

Confused, I went back to the shop. The common denomenator was the oil. So I pulled a sample from the drum - it looked normal. When I mixed it with fuel it still looked normal. When I shook it for a long time and let it sit for a few minutes, it turned milky.

I used this oil in my lake boat and again noticed that it made a small but noticeable improvement in power, but that it turned slightly milky.

The drum of oil had built up a small amount of condensation inside each time it was opened in the hot and humid Southern summer, and the synthetic oil had completely absorbed it. But how much water had it absorbed?

I drained the drum if the last 2 gallons of oil and placed it in a large pot and put a tube on the lid. I placed the pot on a burner on low heat and ran the tube under cool water to condense the water as it evaporated. And I collected the water in another jar. It turned out that the oil had absorbed a bit more than a tablespoon of water for each quart of oil.

Since then, I have run Alisyn oil in my lake boat with 1 tablespoon of oil in each quart (added to the oil not the fuel). What I have found is that it makes a small but noticeable improvement in power on higher compression levels, and even a little on a stock 280. There have been NO changes in the wear of the bores or the internal parts after several seasons.

The water acts like a small amount of compression while adding detonation resistance - just like water injection.

Something to think about.

True story, This week I was talking with the old timer that owns a local gas station. We were bs'ing about gas prices and such, he told me a story of a customer he had years ago that would come in a buy odd amounts of gas. like $ 1.57 or $ 1.32 worth of gas. the customer did this for weeks. finally the station owner( Bill) asked the guy what he was doing ?? The customer said he was doing some gas testing, and milage testing. He then made Bill promise not to tell others, and then showed him under the hood. Bill descibe to me a plastic box filled with cotton, with hoses connected to the intale manifold. The guy was puting salt water into the box and pulling it into the intake below the carb. he said the he had great results in milage increase. he claimed to also do this with diesel.

well, this could be just BS, or a crazy story like the 200 mpg carb, but interesting.

Lance

why was this guy using salt water VS straight water ???

"Trade Secrets" :D

THANKS Wayne,

Yeah it is pretty inevitable that in our sport, Ocassionally your going to get some water in the mixture. Just think of even the condensation that can occur just within you fuel tank.

Also I have had to gas up during the rain at times and pouring oil into a funnel in which the rain goes in too.

I never noticed any improvements but have noticed NO harm done.

I think screening oil is good practice too....you'll be amazed at what debris is in your high dollar oil :blink:

water injection kits were available thru the 1980 for 4cycle motor. it was the only way i could run my 1984 motor home on the low octane gas we now have. jet engine also use water injection for take off power. with dfi 2 cycle motor it maybe time to look at again. really lower low octane knok

Once again amazed Wayne. Thanks,

fish

Now fish, don't start dumpin' water into your fuel tank ;)

LOL, I am a pure sugar in the tank guy myself! :D