fish

Charging Problem? SIMONize it!

First of all, let me start by explaining that racing/Hi-Po motors have vvery small (16mp) charging systems...

I have been going back and forth with solutions to the charging on a 260. I hate having to hook my battery up to a charger every night (either bring the battery in or run a cord from my room) at boating events. I also was jonesin for some tunes in the boat but new I could not run a stereo with the 16amp stator for too long.

Choices: add an additional battery and an additional 40-50lbs somewhere in my boat, or go with the Simon alternator for v6 outboards. http://www.screamandfly.com/home/evaluatio...lternator_1.htm

at first I was leaning towards the second battery, but in reality I would still have to charge them each night, but now I have two to charge, and really did not want the extra weight. I called Eric Simon after reading the article in the link above- man does that guy know his stuff. Long and short, I got the alternator kit spent about 20 minutes (including 5 minutes on the phone with parker), and it was on and running. That thing is a freakin work of art!!!!!!!!! All the parts were perfect and even included a little bottle of loc-tight. I even got him on a Saturday afternoon on the phone to double check something. just bolt on and go.

First class guy, first class product, first class support. Thanks Eric, this thing rocks!!!!!!

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3189210988708266654

the kit...

IPB Image

one more pic after I installed it...

IPB Image

Pretty slick invention that for sure not to mention the workmanship. Nelsoncat put one on his ProComp last year too and really likes it.

Looks good Fish, enjoy the tunes!

thanks procomp, it really is an impressive piece of work. I almost feel bad putting that purty thing on my old motor... almost :D :D

The only bad piont is you have to have the alien cowl.

true, but I already was using an alien so it was no big deal for me.

Yes the SIMON kit would be very cool to have if you had the dough and the rite cowl.

Yes it was very tiring , I used to go the way of the two battery method ...it was work casue as you said...more to think about and you need access to electricity. It was key though especailly for drags when you do a lot of milling and on and off alot on the key and just short runs

Very cool. Could you notice any loss in HP or performance?

none so far. I ran it for the first time at blingfest this weekend and it easily took me over 100mph in less than ideal conditions with a girl, 2 coolers, tools, and a spare 5 gal gas can in the boat. I think it already paid for itself though. I went out early Saturday morning, turned the key to make sure to motor would pop off. I guess I did not turn the key all the way off and got distracted because about 1 1/5 hours later I went to launch and put a few things in my boat and I heard my fuel pump running. I was not even sure it would start. Fortunately it did, and I ran it all day Saturday and again on Sunday without having to mess with a charger. I definitely would not have left the dock Saturday without putting some juice in the battery after my bone-head move with the ignition.

I am going to try running it with the belt on and then off to see if I notice any difference back to back. I will let you guys know what happens.

fish

I put one on my Euro Ski last season and it works perfect. I live about 30 minutes from Simon. So, I was able to just go and pick it up. I got back last night from the river which was my first trip this season. Over off season I put in a big system and really put the kit to the test. I can say that even after running the tunes full blast for three hours at the sand bar it lit right up and always showed a full charge. The kit is bitchn. My trip came to a hult on Sunday evening when an ear broke off my prop. Freaked my out at first. Didn't know what happened. I thought something was wrapped around the prop. I jumped into the water to take a look and saw an entire ear missing. Tripped me out. So, if someone has a good 26 Hoss for sale let me know I need another one. Anyone know why that may have happened?