Sign in to follow this  
Scott in MN

Evaluating setup changes

What do you guys use to check if your setup change improves your time? I have been told that using an accellerometer in a boat confuses it and it won't work properly. I recall Wayne stating that water in his oil gave him a couple of tenths in his testing. Are you using external timers for your testing or do you have something on board? It seems not prudent nor accurate to be clicking a stop watch with one hand when you are trying to drive with the other. Even if the absolute numbers are not accurate I just need the comparative numbers to show improvement or not. Thanks, Scott

Guest dma251

What do you guys use to check if your setup change improves your time? I have been told that using an accellerometer in a boat confuses it and it won't work properly. I recall Wayne stating that water in his oil gave him a couple of tenths in his testing. Are you using external timers for your testing or do you have something on board? It seems not prudent nor accurate to be clicking a stop watch with one hand when you are trying to drive with the other. Even if the absolute numbers are not accurate I just need the comparative numbers to show improvement or not. Thanks, Scott

What are you trying to evaluate? I use a Digatron digital tach w/recall, a GPS speedo, and a water PSI gauge. Those instrumetns will tell me everything I need to know. I am not sure how the pros are figuring elapsed time, but for most people out to have fun and dial in their setup, the above tools are all you need.

(oh yeah, and a measuring device attached to your jackplate helps, too - for recordkeeping)