Instigator

MIAMI DAVE GOES 117 IN HIS PRO COMP!

Well, I didn't go out today for lack of a spotter boat, so Saturday it is.

I've got a great brand new stock ignition I've been wanting to put on a powerhead. Split Rapair no-limit packs, V4 flywheel, etc.. We were running the single pack setup at first and had no problems turning 8600. But that Rapair pack was big bucks. The nice thing about the Yami setup only costs about $600 to do unless you have to have somebody do it for you. It's actually cheaper and easier, and a cleaner installation. And lighter. MSD is about $2500, and I see no advantage for the money.

I have an aversion to spending big bucks to do this boat thing too. We started with a block that literally came out of a dumpster. At this point I think I have about 3500 in the powerhead. The only reason it's that high is because I wanted all new sleeves, pistons and bearings.. And that powerhead has won passes in both FBI Pro Lake Racer and ODBA Pro Carb. I agree that you don't need to spend to get a motor that will haul ass.

I agree on not spendin money,thats the nice thing about runnin the stock stuff u can pickit up for peanuts and mod it yourself.The most expensive thing on my rig is the spormaster,and thats was bought mainly for safety(big skeg/ratchet/no epoxy).Back to the ignition, the yammi is ok but if i was to go with another set up IMO a 12v system is better than a stator powered system that has voltage/curent varying with rpm. Now that the automotive industry has finally gone to distributorless individual coil systems there is alot more to work with.Dave

Great video gary, i have never seen it,that thing was on rails perfect set up.Takes way more balls to run a v at those speeds than a tunnel.Dave

If I may...................

Going as fast as you can with low cost is always good. For lake riding, you guys have some great ideas.

Deal is, with the crowd jphii is trying to run with (ODBA), you gotta do what you gotta do if you want to win. You might win a pass or two but the overall win is tough as hell to get unless your rig will really march.

As far as really marching, in my experience, you gotta turn a looper 9500-9600 with a riteous prop and gearing to be competitive in your respective class, no matter which class you choose.

You also need to have 200+ pounds of compression in order to get the boat to slam hard off the start. With this combo of compression and rpm range, the factory style ignition (no matter who builds it) just dont seem to want to get the job done as far as I have seen.

The Yammie stuff seems better, though no where as potent as the Merc's 2 step stator deal.

The MSD has its drawbacks ($$$, no charging system and complex) but once done, it is pretty rugged, makes a hell of a fire and will go to 11K RPM or maybe more even with 250-260 pounds of compression. About the 11K......I seen it on a Merc, but I know Bush has turned a looper that high on the dyno.

I guess the deal is, a sharp knife is a hell of a good weapon in the right circumstances. But sometimes, only a belt fead weapon will do.

ER

I know what your're sayin ER, and I know that right now I'm not quite there yet to win in ODBA. A pass is one thing, a round is a whole nother ball game. I'm at the point where we're close. That;s why a new powerhead is going on for Kingston. That one has turned 9200 many times, and it's not getting screwed with except for a refresh.

Since this current motor doesn't seem to like going over 81-8200 most of the time I think that as hard as it pulls from the lights I may be in a much better postion to win with the new 9200 rpm motor. Wayne Taylor really helped me on my setup last weekend and this thing can really launch hard now.

A Merc stator & ignition setup was on the boat when I bought it, but I know nothing about it except that it wouldn't turn over 7500.

I'm trying to do what needs done, but it's tough when you don't have an assload of money to toss at it. I'm so close to Doc Tripp right now it's pissing me off that I can't get around him. I haven't run Hardin yet, but that boy is really fast. Tony Mayes was really haulin too till he broke at Wetumpka. I think he might have had the fastest boat out there last weekend.

I may have the new motor ready when I run the Doc on 18 July at Plymouth. I hope so, so I can see how we're looking for Kinston.

And BTW, I should have listened to you over the winter, tossed the carbs, and gone MAD. But doing things the hard way seems to be so much more fun, and I wouldn't be having this grudge match all season with Tony if the carbs were gone. Doing it the hard way is so much more fun....

E.R.,

All good points.

I know you need compression to drag race and I also know that does goofy things to what are otherwise fine ignition systems.

Was talking to Stoker @ Jasper one year when he tuning for Danny from out west and he was turning I think 9400 w/stock ignition (I think) w/I believe 175 lbs.

Dave was descrdibing the advantages of the Merc ignition to me same as you just did.

Well I went out yesterday hoping to match Dave's run but it wasn't gonna happen with all of the idiots out there. Hit 105 a few times but evry time I tried some stinkin wakeboard boat would throw up some big rollers. Gonna try again today.

Was the same down here went to the keys got the crap beat out of us, my tach needle broke, I dont think i ever passed 70.Be careful all the 2 time a year boaters are out this weekend.Dave

Yep, yesterday was about the same as Saturday. I hit 105 a couple of times, but couldn't wring it out. Still had some fun though!

Yep, yesterday was about the same as Saturday. I hit 105 a couple of times, but couldn't wring it out. Still had some fun though!

We did the Ohio River this weekend.

Stayed on a buddies house boat, private dock, 50' from a ramp!

We did 160 miles in two days.

Made one run 34 miles from the house boat to the next town down river for lunch. Ran three abreast @ 80 - 100 for the whole way.

Finished yesterday with GPS runs past the house boat with a video camera on the roof of the house boat. I went 101, my buddies 2.4 powered Alli went 99, and my buddies 300X powered Miarage went 111.

Pretty freagin incredible weekend.

Hey Instigator,

I just noticed that you are from Columbus. If you ever feel like playing in some new water, I boat at Seneca Lake, which is just south of Cambridge, Oh. About an hour east of Columbus. Pretty decent size lake, but I've got the only fast boat on the lake and it gets a little boring sometimes with nobody to play with.

Do you have any details on the Buckeye Lake deal? My motor was down last year, but I would like to make it this year.

My e-mail is mark@ntwonline.com, drop me a line if you ever want to give Seneca Lake a try.

Hey Instigator,

I just noticed that you are from Columbus. If you ever feel like playing in some new water, I boat at Seneca Lake, which is just south of Cambridge, Oh. About an hour east of Columbus. Pretty decent size lake, but I've got the only fast boat on the lake and it gets a little boring sometimes with nobody to play with.

Do you have any details on the Buckeye Lake deal? My motor was down last year, but I would like to make it this year.

My e-mail is mark@ntwonline.com, drop me a line if you ever want to give Seneca Lake a try.

Hey Mark,

I know the lake but have never been on it. I get out that way every week or so for work.

The Buckeye get together is just something that pops up from time to time and usually starts by me mouthing off about going there :) Fun place to play, neat areas to explore but gets rough for the little boats on the weekends.

Gary,

Did you get your boat fixed and running?

Let me know how you are doing.

Dennis

Yep, done and running.

Going to Shreeveport La (June 16 - 18), for N.Chapter By-U-Boyz run and then hopefully back down to Fla. full time by mid Summer ;)

Gary

I'd like to get down there for the NC rally but we have a race on the 18th in Plymouth, NC. I need the track time to get ready for Kingston.

Hey Guys , heres a pic of a 3.0L omc donk , mad efi mid with a sporty, It was on a 19 ft Lab boat here in Oz that ran 93Mph with two skiers, 116 as a boat... Big Bore carbs, 140 psi, Custom Kt Marine Inlet Manifolds, Rod slots and Porting by Kt Marine...

Just modified a Merc shift bracket to bolt up to the OMC block , Cut and shut the drive shaft to change the spline and it was on... :)

IPB Image

Hey Guys , heres a pic of a 3.0L omc donk , mad efi mid with a sporty, It was on a 19 ft Lab boat here in Oz that ran 93Mph with two skiers, 116 as a boat... Big Bore carbs, 140 psi, Custom Kt Marine Inlet Manifolds, Rod slots and Porting by Kt Marine...

Just modified a Merc shift bracket to bolt up to the OMC block , Cut and shut the drive shaft to change the spline and it was on... :)

IPB Image

GORGEOUS!!

Buttttttt....93 w/2 skiers?? I knew you guys were a bit touched down there but 93 :blink:

Post more shots if you have any. Would love to see the boat.

Actually, I am a huge fan of Ski Racing! Neat shit!!

Do you guys run oval course or Marathons?

here in Oz that ran 93Mph with two skiers,

sick pupppies :D

that's balls!......no in the hell way for me pal......i'd look like one of those desert spider's that ball up and roll down the sand dunes. :o

what the hell are ya'll thinking

best of luck man and be safe.

btw awesome looking motor :)