hampdawgg

question about STV boat

I inherited an STV racing boat and am looking to sale it. I really have no inclination on how much to sell it for or how to go about selling it. Here are the stats:

1992 STV

12.5 ft length

13 ft hustler trailer

Johnson Formula E motor (75 hp)

polished stainless steel prop

built by summerfield racing in June of 1992

1 owner boat

only driven 1 or 2 times a year for roughly 30 minutes per run

sharp, in perfect condition, lime green and white

garage kept with cover

have pictures but didn't have them handy upon finding this site. Will post pictures over weekend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The boat is located in nashville, TN.

this is a really dumb question, but what is the capacity of that boat? can an adult drive it or is it for kids? Cool boat no matter what.

fish

BTW, here is the pic from the other thread:

IPB Image

:D Very cool boat Justin !!!!

:blink: Why are you getting rid of it ............. looks like a keeper to me !!!

It can't weigh much more than my lunch ........ It must go like a scalded cat. :o

I can't imagine that it would be hard to sell,

but best of luck with the sale.

If the photo is recent, it looks mint !!!

Some lucky buyer will have a blast in that boat !!!

Regards,

Bruce. :)

He sent me about 8 pics, and I'm waiting for a couple more. It ain't no kids boat! :o He says it will run about 90 :unsure: but that Formula E Johnson (from what I've been told) only puts out about 60-65 at the shaft. I want it 'cause it'd be like having a Mini Me to my Mirage :D

He sent me about 8 pics, and I'm waiting for a couple more. It ain't no kids boat! :o He says it will run about 90 :unsure: but that Formula E Johnson (from what I've been told) only puts out about 60-65 at the shaft. I want it 'cause it'd be like having a Mini Me to my Mirage :D

LOL, it does look like a mini me... :D:D Very cool boat!

LOL, it does look like a mini me... :D:D Very cool boat!

Looks like an SST 60 boat.

APBA class designed to be an entry level tunnel boat class. Very, very fast. Seems like the Kilo record is somewhere in the high 80's to low 90's. (definately not a toy)

"Formula E" is that engine w/a shorty mid, a race gear case (as opposed to the hi perf version that should be on that one), expansion chambers, methanol etc, etc. and mounted to a 3 point hydro.

Here is a better pic of the engine

cool motor!

15" mid w/a 50 HP (2 cyl) gear case

not sure I've seen one with "Formula E" stickers on it??

Mostly "Stinger"s.

For the old OPC class that motor was designed for would have been "Sport E" I believe.

Here's the rest of the motor pics. Tell me about it Gary.[attachmentid=2172]

And another:[attachmentid=2173]

And another:[attachmentid=2174]

And the last one:[attachmentid=2175]

post-985-1149362634.jpg

post-985-1149362718.jpg

post-985-1149362751.jpg

post-985-1149362778.jpg

104.46 MPH

Class 05290 - FEH Sunday, March 9, 1997 Record Type KILO

Location OROVILLE, CA Driver CHEYNEY STREET Owner CHEYNEY STREET

Boat PURPLE SCREAMER Hull Type KAR-A-PEL Engine MEYERS-EVIN.

above is the Kilo (straight away) record for that motor with pipes, porting and a race gear case.

50 cu.in. 3 cyl looper

Formula E 49.9 c.i. Unless listed in Formula E rules. Manufactured as a service engine and associated carburetors mounted on any unit of "R" dimension of 1.850 inches. Exceptions are the Mercury MK75 6 cylinder, Mercury 650 xs, and Mercury 4 cylinder 62 c.i..

60 and 62 cubic inch 4 cylinder 650's are allowed. 90-100 mph

above is tech rules

the factory used to build a modded version call "Mod 50" for tunnel boat oval course racing back in the day as well.

MiamiDave has a version that is a 75HP (strongest 3 cly they released) Stinger of above.

they currenty run a class called "SST 60" which is very similar but a more current version of above.

I have heard reports of 115 HP and up in modded form.

here's SST 60

SST 60

Using a 14 foot tunnel boats and OMC's 56 cubic inch three cylinder engine. This engine uses the production full shift gearcase with a nose cone. This powerful little package with racing propellors will run speeds in competition of 80+ mph.

Minimum Weight 800 lbs.

Record Speed Record Holder Year

Kilo Straitaway 94.118 Greg Jacobsen 1989

4 lap ¾ mile competition 63.250 Roddy Foreman 1998

3 lap 1 mile competition 69.471 Todd Bowden 1990

4 lap 1 ¼ mile competition 70.685 Brad Collins 1990

3 lap 1 2/3 mile competition 71.828 Howie Nichols 1999

So that one looks like a stock 50ci looper? Sounds like there is some serious potential there. Send me your email and I'll send you all the pics he sent me (quite a few). I've got a question for you too.

Joe

Thats bad to the bone,wish someone would get it right with chambers on a v6.I believe 1977 was the last year for screw type power packs and open iron coils,that cowling looks much later maybe an older powerhead.Gary the other 3cyl i have says sport E.Dave

Thats bad to the bone,wish someone would get it right with chambers on a v6.I believe 1977 was the last year for screw type power packs and open iron coils,that cowling looks much later maybe an older powerhead.Gary the other 3cyl i have says sport E.Dave

notice in the tech rules above that they allow the Merc 60 and 62 inches to be competitive :)

one of the last races (kneel down) I was at I watched a guy run a OMC in F-E and "educate" a guy chasing him w/a 4 cyl Merc.

the Johnny would pull him 3 or 4 boats out of every turn!

Always thought one of those on a good running 3 point might be the ultimate play toy! 104 Kilo record in mod form which has internal limitations and is gas only ;)

huhhmmm?

:D Very cool boat Justin !!!!

:blink: Why are you getting rid of it ............. looks like a keeper to me !!!

It can't weigh much more than my lunch ........ It must go like a scalded cat. :o

I can't imagine that it would be hard to sell,

but best of luck with the sale.

If the photo is recent, it looks mint !!!

Some lucky buyer will have a blast in that boat !!!

Regards,

its an adult one seater. Yeah the boat is extremely light. You can lift the front of the trailer up with one finger. Yeah the boat is in fantastic shape. Garage kept with a cover on it its entire life.

:) Congrats to the new owner ........... very cool boat !!

Would love to see some photos of that boat in action on here !!

It is a cool bote...I talked to the builder today since I had some questions concerning the handling and such ..Roark says his company built maybe 20 of these boats and he figures not to many are still up and running...The boat was designed for a 50hp motor for some race class... he could not remember the class..It has a lot of foam floatation in it and is designed to float upright (nose pointed up) in the event it rolls over or blows over...It has two weird shaped holes in the nose that allow the hull to flood in the event of an accident so the boat will float as it is designed to...Has a 5 pt harness and is built as a capsule type race boat..designed to keep the driver in the cockpit if wrecked..trim is on the wheel (2 buttons) for down and on the floor for up (with the left foot)...Supposed to be stable into the high 80s and into the 90s..Of course to much trim can change all this...This bote has a 75 hp johnson with a formula E mid and a racing gearcase on it so Roarks design limits have been exceeded...He allows it ought to 'run pretty good' with this set up...Came with a really cute cleaver prop and I guess what with the pilot sitting so far front the cleaver gives it some bow lift..battery and fuel cell is amidships right behind the operator for balance I suppose...Has quick disconnect steering wheel which comes in handy for getting in or out...Only thing lacking in the design that I can find is there is no place for a beer cooler...even with the cowl removed there isn't much room...maybe behind the battery :lol: Once it's on the river we will take some pics...I really wanted to preserve this little boat and at the same time maybe have a little fun in the process..as far as restoration...well it dosen't need any...even the trailor is in mint condition...the diamond plate steps aren't even pitted...later

Cool little boat. If i was designed for a 50 horse motor It could have neen a SST45 boat. It's about the size of one. The SST45 did run in the 80ish range. What Dia + pitch cleaver did you get with the motor?

Mike

There's no indication of the pitch on the prop...Looks to be 20 or 22...Has a small ding on one of the blades so I am going to have it worked at which time we will see what the pitch is...It has Performance Props etching on the side but no pitch number

post-307-1151503412.jpg

:D Thanks for the update Joe !!

:ph34r: Looking forward to seeing some action photos ........ keep us posted !!!

Regards,

That motor is a 49.9 cu engine and it is around a 78-80 and has the old style ign and carbs on it.It could be a 75hp or a 70hp engine.The first thing to do is dump that old ign and carbs and put the primer 75hp carbs on it and the newer ign system.We raced those engines on deltas and voodoos in the 80's and they ran them on tunnels in se class and they ran 70's to 80 but they are fun to drive.