Eurotrash

Is my Rocket heavy?

I weighed my boat today. I took it to the local landfill so I don't know how accurate their scales are but here's what I have for weights.

Boat&trailer 2260lbs Some of the carpet in the boat was wet.

Trailer 680lbs Aluminum with wet bunks.

So I have 1580lbs with semi wet carpet, 1/3 of a tank of gas, anchor, 4 Merc life jackets, and a few ropes. Of course the motor was on the boat with a prop installed.

This is a 4 seater 96' Rocket with full carpet and factory foam flotation that comes well past the back seat, something I've never seen in an STV, well at least not in the 3 other ones I've owned.

The reason I'm asking this question is because this boat doesnt preform well. I can only get 105 out of it so I don't know if the boat is heavy or the motor is weak?

Thanks,

Paul

post-358-1151614616.jpg

post-358-1151614740.jpg

Well Jeff and my Euro weighed in at 2156 lbs with a steel trailer, give or take 20lbs. I'd say its heavy. Start digging my friend....................

Your boat looks to be heavy, but not a lot.

Gas and oil weigh 6.25 pounds per gallon.

Wet carpeting can weigh up to 20 additional pounds.

A standard lay-up River Rocket has a hull weight of approx. 750 pounds and weighs 1325-1350 pounds fully rigged.

My fully rigged Kevlar Euro weighed 1402 pounds with hydraulic steering - about 50-70 pounds less than most. Hull weight was right at 800 lbs.

My Kevlar River Rocket weighs 1187 pounds fully rigged (about 40 pounds less with the race fairing installed) and had a hull weight of 576 lbs.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the numbers Wayne, that what I was looking for.

The bunks on the trailer were not wet when I weighed the boat and trailer so I'm going to add 10lbs to the boat (1590) and figure 20lbs for the gear and I'll guess 63lbs for the gas. So to round things off I'm going to say the boat is 1500lbs rigged.

Now I need to get rid of 150lbs to put this thing in the 1325-1350lb range. All I can really do is dig out the foam and pull the carpet and hope the foam is soaked, but I would be surprised to find it weighs 150lbs. I'm about 190lbs and the boat is over weight by about what one passenger would be, but my 99' Rocket would run 115 with two aboard so I'm thinking the motor isn't as powerful as I was lead to believe.

Paul