themax

New member needs advice Thanks

Hello STV Owners Club,

My name is Brian and I live in Peterborough,Ontario.I just found out about this club and all your knowledgeable members on this board. I need advice on what current STV's are worth so I don't pay too much.

I see that Anthony SS lives near me as well and appears to have an STV Charger.

I owned a 1987 Charger STV tunnel V type with an old Merc 225 and it would run 85 all day long.I had the boat for 8 years and sold it to a friend.I was forced to sell it 5 years ago and I'm looking again.

I found one just like it here in Peterborough with a 200 GT Johnson recent rebuild from Warren at Gannons Narrows Marine who has a great rep as an OMC guru.

The boat is a 1987 but the top gel coat is checkered a bit.The bottom is brand new looking and you can tell that the boat is never left in the water.

The owner lives two blocks from my house and I have been looking at it in his driveway for years.

The boat has a bullet nosecone,low water pickup.hydraulic jack plate,double cupped Spinelli 32,extended trim rods, and the prop shaft support has been drilled and pinned.The boat runs 93 mph single and 90mph with him and myself at low fuel.The owner is asking 10,500 CAN and I may get it for 9 to 9500.The boat is cream grey with dark blue stripes.If I buy it,does anyone know what a two colour gel coat would cost on the top deck.The owner suggested Hot Knots for the work????

If anyone knows of a lower dollar STV under 15,000 CAN please call.

Thanks for any help

Brian

705-876-0400

HEY BRIAN,

Welcome to STVowners...YES we are virtually neighbors... :) we should hook up and run the Otonabee once you get your rig.

As you are aware the Charger 18 STV is a decent ride, so good luck on the purchase. Warren has been in the businees for a long time and yes he has worked on few OMC over the years. That Charger sound like it is at the limit with those speeds that that is pretty awesome. That one sonds familar to , I think the guys that owned at one time, his last name was Woodside (? or something like that).

John Spaeth (705-484-0407) or Rob Schythes (705- 437-1815) are two reputable guys that can do the work for you.

I would check with both of them re: thier schedules and go from there.

Here is pic from Squirrel Creek a few weeks ago.

Good Luck with the boat and keep us advised

HEY BRIAN,

Welcome to STVowners...YES we are virtually neighbors... :) we should hook up and run the Otonabee once you get your rig.

As you are aware the Charger 18 STV is a decent ride, so good luck on the purchase. Warren has been in the businees for a long time and yes he has worked on few OMC over the years. That Charger sound like it is at the limit with those speeds that that is pretty awesome. That one sonds familar to , I think the guys that owned at one time, his last name was Woodside (? or something like that).

John Spaeth (705-484-0407) or Rob Schythes (705- 437-1815) are two reputable guys that can do the work for you.

I would check with both of them re: thier schedules and go from there.

Here is pic from Squirrel Creek a few weeks ago.

Good Luck with the boat and keep us advised

Hello Anthony,

You are correct.The boat belongs to Jeff Woodside and it is definitely running on the ragged edge of what I suspect is the boat's limits.

I am just starting to learn about the other types of STV's and I would like to be able to speak to some experts like yourself about them.

I need a cheaper boat this year under 15,000 CAN but will be able to buy new or newer all set up next year.

I would appreciate a phone call and any references to help me to learn more.

Thanks

Brian

705-876-0400

Call Paul Kryskow at Top Gun Marine, he has a very clean Charger STV with a rebuilt 2.5 merc that you can have within your budget.

If I recall it has Gaffrig Gauges and is in VERY good shape. It will be a lot quicker than the one you are looking at. And the deck is not checkered. That would be VERY costly to fix........ seeing as I live in John Spaeths shop...... I sadly would know.

RT

sorry TopGuns number is 905-775-0862, his name is Paul

........ seeing as I live in John Spaeths shop...... I sadly would know.

RT

NOW, If John could only get you to WORK there or pay RENT there, then he wouldn't be supporting his OTHER child :P

Call Paul Kryskow at Top Gun Marine, he has a very clean Charger STV with a rebuilt 2.5 merc that you can have within your budget.

If I recall it has Gaffrig Gauges and is in VERY good shape. It will be a lot quicker than the one you are looking at. And the deck is not checkered. That would be VERY costly to fix........ seeing as I live in John Spaeths shop...... I sadly would know.

RT

sorry TopGuns number is 905-775-0862, his name is Paul

Thank you so much for the referral.I will call Paul tomorrow.

I am also anxious to learn the performance differences between the various bottoms and types of STV's such as the Euro types and River rockets etc.

Thanks,

brian

Hi there Brian i also live near you on scugog and i have a stv pro comp with a 260 .There have been afew in the trader this year but i think you should look at the one Paul has,he is a good guy to deal with.but RT and Anthony are the guys you want to talk to, i think they know of every stv in ontario.

There are 2 bottoms by Charger, but they are easy to tell apart, as both have different decks. One is the 19 needle nose, the other a 19 pickel fork. Boats from Charger are heavy, but in most cases decently built. The newer boats are Junk and even heavier.

Realistically the Charger STV 18' is only a low 90 mph boat...... it cannot go faster. It is a great learning boat, and a lot of fun to drive, still one of my favorites.

The 19' pickle fork is avaliable from both Charger and Summerford. The summerford being a lot lighter and better built. ( STV sold there old molds the Charger, and the right to use the name ). The 19' STV/Charger is known as the sprint bottom, it is faster than the needle nose and is quite capable of running in the teens... not the charger version as they are too heavy.

Then there are the Pro Comp's, Pro Comp Ski, Euro, and River Rockets. There are 4 bottoms seen under these boats ( sorta ). There is the SKI, The hybrid, The roundt round or mod-vp, and the drag. The hybrid was really only under Pro Comp decks, and the Drag was only under rocket decks. The only bottom here to run from is the drag. It is kinda dangerous.

Otherwise the inverted vee bottoms as they are commonly referred to are the current best bottom in the business. There are so far capable of 151.5 mph as proven by Mike Dixon, but commoners run in the 120's regularly.

That is the coles notes version.

Trikki, I pay rent........ every fricken time I go there. I swear I feel like I am paying him an allowence.

RT

Jeeze, I need to proof read these things!........ oh well sorry for my spelling/typing.

RT

THANKS ROB,

I hope you have that responce saved somewhere cause it gets popped up several times a year. :)

BRIAN (ChargerSTV) feel free to call me over the weekend.

905-342-9339...or even if you feel like coming for a drive...I don't venture far from Rice l. most weekends.

The Charger at Pauls sounds nice...any pics???

Say hi to the Woodsides...I have not seen them in some years...I was good buddies with a freind of thiers (Doug Black)

BRIAN115 - How is the PCS liking the 260 :)

[

BRIAN115 - How is the PCS liking the 260 :)

Good Anthony it is just broken in and i still have low comp heads on it.i want to change the heads and chip and i will see how it does.but it still runss 100 the way it is no problem.

hopefuly everyone can get out for a run soon

Thanks Firestarter for the comprehensive education which is invaluable to a newbie like myself.

Thanks Anthony.I will call this week.

What a great bunch of people you guys are!!!!

Yeah that PC looks good on the cover of the trader..unfortunately (for me) the trailer is not a selling feature :blink:

BRIAN, (ChargerSTV)

Thanks for the call last nite...sorry I missed it.

Shoot me an email with your number so I can call you back today, THANKS

anthony.santocono@alcoa.com