coinboy

my river rocket

yup that is it

hey coinboy I still have a chip and regulator if you are interested.

got some other questions for ya too, non boat related.

RT

Thanks Fish you Euro,s not to shabby either

Hey Rob im still intrested in chip and reg.. also need some info on rebuilding my 2.5..

Thanks Chris

what do you want to do the the motor as far as a rebuild, it is really easy!. a few tricks no big deal

im not shure ,

i have a 2.5 under a 100 hours ,

but it has side pin pistons,

should i replace the pistons??

YES, IMMEDIATELY.IT'S NOT A MATTER OF "IF", BUT "WHEN" THEY WILL COME OUT. YOU CAN PUSH IT TILL IT NEEDS NEW RINGS, BUT IT MAKES ME NERVOUS KNOWING THE DAMAGE A SIDE PIN COMING OUT CAN DO

I MISREAD THE PART ABOUT THE PISTONS.YOU DON'T HAVE TO REPLACE THE PISTONS, JUST GET THEM TOP-PINNED. JOHN MAHRLES IN CALI DOES ALOT OF THE TOP REBUIDERS PISTONS. I'M SURE THERE MIGHT BE OTHERS, JUST WOULDN'T WANT TO GIVE A NAME I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR PRODUCTS & WORK

I MISREAD THE PART ABOUT THE PISTONS.YOU DON'T HAVE TO REPLACE THE PISTONS, JUST GET THEM TOP-PINNED. JOHN MAHRLES IN CALI DOES ALOT OF THE TOP REBUIDERS PISTONS. I'M SURE THERE MIGHT BE OTHERS, JUST WOULDN'T WANT TO GIVE A NAME I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR PRODUCTS & WORK

Thanks for the info 280Triad

. thats what i thought i was going to hear.... top pin it is then!!! peace of mind ;)

Coinboy, here is my take.

First, to have someone top pin a set of warnout pistons is nothing more than a money grab for the guy that is doing it. I have never had a side pin failure, and none of my friend have either ( some in the older 2.4's ). The reason we have never had a fialure it the motors were manintained. When the ring lans and skirts are beat up it is time to replace the pistons...... not repin them.

If you want another 100 trouble free hours put new pistons in the motor. Like Alex said you CAN do it through the front half, but with the amount of hours you have, you really need to check the bearings, crank, and measure and hone the bores. If you have small rods they should be checked for cracks.

RT

Matt spill it!

I have heard stories, but never anything concrete about him having a failure. All I know is that if your pistons are worn enough to have pin issues, the skirts are WAY past there service life.

RT

coinboy- I would stay away from top pinning old pistons- I may have a set of used factory top pinned pistons- give me a ring on your rebuild

thx. Paul

416 949-8865 cell

Helmut had a set of sid pins top pinned. it looked like the pistons were

corroded real bad around where the old pins were after running the

pistons for some time. actually looked like the were eaten away.

of course it was because they were run too lean. amazingly the new

merc top pins didnt do that at the same fuel setting.

Helmut had a set of sid pins top pinned. it looked like the pistons were

corroded real bad around where the old pins were after running the

pistons for some time. actually looked like the were eaten away.

of course it was because they were run too lean. amazingly the new

merc top pins didnt do that at the same fuel setting.

Thanks alot guys

goin to give paulb a call in the next couple days hear he realy knows his mercs

I half wonder if burning the old pins out some how weakens the aluminum

of the piston in that area. Either way, it is just a band aid patch, things only

have so much life in them.

The EDM shouldn't hurt the pistons, I only take issue with taking something that is worn out and trying to pass it off as ok to run. I also have not figured out how you can "weld" a new pin into the piston without superheating the crown of the piston to form the weld. As he states the piston never exceeds 100 degrees...... to me that means there is no weld.

I would only ever run new OEM pistons or like some of us have been doing, run single race pistons ( but they also get swapped out after about 50 hours ).

RT

I don't totally agree with everything.Yeah if the pistons are worn out,out of round,etc.yes, get the new top-pinned pistons. If there is nothing wrong with them,I wouldn't throw away perfectly good pistons for the sake of getting new pistons.I have seen side-pinned pistons wreck the sleeve with only a few hours on them.It was a horrible design to begin with.Mercury still won't acknowledge the flaw,yet for some reason, they redsigned their pistons beginning in 2001 for top-pins.I know quite a few people that sent their perfectly good pistons to John Marles to get top-pinned, & haven't had the slightest problem with them. I don't know the process he uses,but for a couple hundred dollars you don't have to worry about the sleeves or pistons with proper maintenance.Like I said, this is just the experiences I have seen & heard.I'm sure there are people who have had bad experiences with everything,everywhere if you look hard enough.just my .02