Techno

Prop choices?

I'm planning on getting a 260 sometime this season.

Since Spinelli is in town I was thinking of getting a prop built from them.

What props are you running and suggest.  I don't care about draggin since that is far too short.

I would like to get top end but it might be conceivable to give a little for better acceleration.

I was thinking about something like a 32" cleaver?

TECH,

If you are Going to be talkin to the Spaghetti Bros. , I would get them to build you a Low Rake 14.5" x 30" Cleaver...for best all around perferoamce.

Your 260 will likely spin around 8K and get you into the 1Teens. A 32 is doable but they tend to be hi-rake and not needed for bow lift on our STV's

Techno,  I think your 260 will be fine turning 32 merc cleaver, I got one on a 94 pro comp going 126mph @ 8500rpm with 31cc heads, spacer plate, diamond tuner, a do it yourself exhaust cav. clean up, on 93 octane and an analog A17 brain.  Make sure it's 14.5 dia.    Fred.

Is Spinelli still making props? Read from ?Powerboat magazine? that they were closing. Or has someone bought the company?

LJL

I am not a huge fan of Spinilli cleavers. A good Pro Comp with stock 260 power will easily run 115+mph, If you want to accelerate, get a 30, if you really want to go fast get a 32. I would stick with the merc cleavers.

RT

I stopped in last summer and they were making them then, maybe something has changed since then.

Why don't you like the spinellis?  I assume its because you've run a bunch of props

On the merc should it be labbed or just stock?

TECH,

For Cost effectiveness , I would suggest, You find a "solid'And Sound" Merc Cleaver too. Blanks are great if you can find one. They are usually cheaper and can be easily modified cause they have a lot of "Meat" to carve.

If you ever find a 14.5" x 30", I would be happy to send you a copy of my blade blue-print. I done the same service for some others and it has worked well on our ProComps, sub 18' V Streams, a Stoker and Know a Virage.

Then you can send it to repuatble prop shop to do their magic.

Spinilli cleaver slip a lot and really have no Jam, I am not a huge fan of the Mazco's either.

A raw cleaver is a real pig. Get a lab, or like Anthony said a blank and get it worked.

One you get a good one (mine won the Mod-vp world championships) and I will NEVER sell it. I can tell you their is a reason it won too, as it is 3mph faster and handles better than any other 14.5 X 30 I have ever run.   They are like gold.

Dennis Cavanaugh can build you a cleaver at merc (you can send him a used one, and I think it is $75 per blade to do the work.-----He knows how to build a STV Cleaver.

RT

Techno,

It says in the magazine, that Spinelli Bros. was expected to close it's doors in December. The owners were retiring and trying to find a new owner. This is pretty much everything I know about the deal..

LJL

Firewalker,

Yes, they previously did close the shop for the winter. I think they did props only 7 months a year. You can read the Spinelli news from Powerboat Mag's website. Powerboat It's right on the front page. Now they (Spinelli) are closing the shop, if they can't find a buyer. This has to be an old news from October or November since they are writing that Spinelli should be out of business in December. So, does anyone know did Spinelli close their doors, did they find a buyer or will they continue to sell props?

LJL

Dear LJL,

THANKS for informing us about the Spinelli situation. I actually hate hearing about closures like this, cause it sounds like they ran a decent business and catered well to thier customers. But after 30 yrs, you can understand their need to retire.

If I lived closer, It might be good business to buy.

thread has been inactive 10 years, anyone have anything to add? et, offshore ,& other blade types that have been tried? 3 ,4 ,5 blade designs ? my favorite spinelli got hurt last year , tiny crack ,it's fixed but aint quite the same.has a good holeshot & decent topend & handles well.been a good allround prop.

More than likely a cleaver will give the best top speed, but it is not good for much else. I just picked up a BBlades Blaster, 30, 4 blade. Should be great out of the hole and get me to 110 with my 260. ET props are very popular as well on our boats. I will be testing a Merc ET 28 as well. I will post results when I can.

yea i've got the cleavers covered, 28p,merc & a 32 hill ,both run & handle very wel for what they are designed for. Lucky,very interested & the bblades report , been searching for a 30 et for allround as i lost my last one when i broke a propshaft a couple years ago .believe it or not i hav a slightly modded 24 chopper that is great for short bursts around the lake ,but i wont stretch it out too far past 8000 or so.

Wow ...nicelooking Euro...Thx for sharing :)

woops,just saw description on reader rides, should run great with 260, still want to know bout different props ,especially bblades,,