fish

Setback Question- How much and why?

after reading some threads on the numbers keys dave is putting up with his RR 3 seater and having his motor bolted right to the transom, and looking at some pics of dixon's boat from the top end run that had a jack plate, I was just wondering what you guys are running and why the difference? Prop, driver weight..what between two really good running stv's? I know one was running a speedy and one a sporty, but would that make that big a difference in setback?

please list boat, power, setback, best prop, speed/rpm and anything else pertinent.

Here is mine:

1996 Euro, approx 800-850lb hull

30et

stock 260

8100rpm- 109mph

6" setback

driver weight 235

sportmaster 1.87

Figured I need at least 6" to counteract driver weight, maybe a little more.

Driver weight, is the factor on how much setback you need, but don't think that there should be more than 6".

Driver weight, is the factor on how much setback you need, but don't think that there should be more than 6".

Thanks Larry, this has just got me thinking. Didn't helmut run something like 8"? I was also wondering if I moved back more than 6", if that would give me more natural bow lift, thereby allow me to run less trim, and go from the ET (with a little bow lift) to a cleaver. Let the setback give me the bow lift, run almost no trim, and the cleaver give me some stern lift getting more of my boat out of the water.

Good topic Fish. Wish we had some responces. From years of reading I think we will find that big #'s are put up with the motor on the transom, and as far as 9+" back. The combinations are allmost endless. Wish I had some info to post, but I havent been wet in a long time.

Come on guys, post what ya got.

Lance

Helmut ran 4 1/4
-you were correct, but i think the last year he had the

boat he added 2" more in spacers. ill talk to him later today, i will post again on it.

Fish, see if you can bump the engine height a little and borrow a 30/32 cleaver. Its easier then adding setback. The cleaver will give you lift to maybe run flatter versus using additional setback as leverage. Just a thought in agreeing with what you basically already said.

All I know is Helmets was one of the most impressive Euro's so follow his lead. Sounds like he had 4-6" setback on his, a sportmaster up high, a big cleaver, a lot of room. If I recall he may have had a hydraullic jack and the motor ended up being real high after a top end run. Maybe Matt can post better details.

The STVs I've run with up here have usually had 6" of setback and run around 110-112 with 260's.

Too bad Phooker is such a pansy and doesn't string his out! LOL :lol: Just kidding bud. SKI PROPS RULE! :P

260's should run in the high teens on a euro, around 120 on a pro comp and over 120 on a rocket. If you can't... your set up or driving needs help.

Setback is a funcion of which hull you have, and how much power......... and lastly your hull weight vs your motor weight ( this is more rare )

RT

Helmut's secret set up tip: he would run the jack plate up till it ran out of water pressure, then bump the down button once.

It almost sounds too easy.

I have Randy Pierson’s 2004 RR and am also very interested in setups. When I got the boat it had 4” of setback and the only props I could run on the boat were very low rake props. So I decided to bring the motor in closer and bolt it directly on the transom and it helped but I still need to run very low rake props with no cup. I haven’t had a chance to spend the time I need to learn to drive one of these and that may be why my numbers aren’t as good as I’m told they should be. My slip numbers seem out of line to me at least when I compare them to my Allison’s.

280/260 electronics Brucato ECU

28 Hoss came with the boat

113.7 at 9000 rpm

1.87 titus mods came with boat

Driver with gear on about 178 lb

Too bad Phooker is such a pansy and doesn't string his out! LOL :lol: Just kidding bud. SKI PROPS RULE! :P

My Hi5 runs great with 6" setback. :P

I have not rigged any euro's so for me to say would be guessing, but these hulls have a lot of setback built in the hull the riverrocketts i have rigged witch are quite a few all ran better with no setback except one it needed some extra setback because of it's weight but for all the rest they ran better with no setback driver weight on setback i don;t think is really that big a issue the boat needs to be balanced properly i weigh 225lbs and all the rockets i have riged ran fine on the transon. my ligthing i just sold for exsample ran 127mph with a bone stock 260 powerhead my current triad ran 122.1 with a stock bridgeport and is going to run over 130 with a stock 280 powerhead and all on the transon the euro's are alittle heavier than the rockets so they will like setback but i would try to keep it close as possible and run a large dia like a 14.5 to 15 the larger the dia the more sternlift with a cleaver and thats what these boats need are sternlift they have plenty of bow lift so if you lift the stern and flaten the boat they start to go.hope this helps thanks keys dave

Keys Dave, what about propshaft height on a 560 pound RR for all around use. Where should the center of the propshaft be in relation to the center-pod? Thanks for the above information it is helpful.

Keys Dave, what about propshaft height on a 560 pound RR for all around use. Where should the center of the propshaft be in relation to the center-pod? Thanks for the above information it is helpful.
For all around setup and everyday running i like my motor around 1 1/4 above the pad that is with the motor trimed level to the tip of the bullet and a 30 et the boat will handle great and run real good on top end. the reason mike dixon runs a setback is for other reasons as he run different gearcase's sometimes he runs a xr case and sometimes he runs a speedmaster and he has to be able to move the motor height for the different case i think that is why he runs a setback not for any speed advantage with the speedmaster you have to run the case higher and if it is bolted solid to the transon it is alot of work to move it a 1/4 in.when i get done with the testing on the q-shot i will probally look for a euro to do some experimenting with but for now i am still working with the q=shot. by the way warren duke just got his new prop and was testing and ran a personal best today at128.9 with a stock 280 so i am going to have to break the 130 mark to get him. stay tuned my prop should be here monday thanks keys dave

260's should run in the high teens on a euro, around 120 on a pro comp and over 120 on a rocket. If you can't... your set up or driving needs help.

Setback is a funcion of which hull you have, and how much power......... and lastly your hull weight vs your motor weight ( this is more rare )

RT

So your saying I should be running 120.

I have a 91 pro comp, 91 260 stock, foam still in the boat

6'' set back

driver weight 220lbs

CLE lower unit 1.87 gears

28 pp prop

115 mph unsure of the rpm it was the first time I ran that fast in this boat.

I believe the boat can run faster, but I haven't tried another prop yet. Also what engine height should my motor be at.

RT

So your saying I should be running 120.

I have a 91 pro comp, 91 260 stock, foam still in the boat

6'' set back

driver weight 220lbs

CLE lower unit 1.87 gears

28 pp prop

115 mph unsure of the rpm it was the first time I ran that fast in this boat.

I believe the boat can run faster, but I haven't tried another prop yet. Also what engine height should my motor be at.

my buddy freddy goes by pro comp 260 runs i think a 93 procomp with a 20in bass mid mounted to the transon at 1 1/4 in and a stock 260 and he has been running 124 to 126 depending on the day for about 8yrs it is very inpressive to see.he also runs and 14.5 32 cleaver the pro comps do run good but i just don't like the looks of there cap like the riverrocket the best.and think the mvp deck are probally the fastest deck but are not very nice to go to the beach or ride around in for very long at least not down here in the heat. thanks keys dave

Keysdave I cannot speak for Dixon, but the 12" seems to require a it of setback.

The 75lbs or so off the transom makes it leave hard but makes it tricky in the midrange. The setup window seems A LOT smaller.

I have run Euros with 0-8", I liked 6 best as it was the only way it ran well with passengers, something you don't have to worry about in the rockets. On my Rockets I ran 4 total, 1 3/8 up with a 30 clever and a 260 at 122, I never really tried for more.

RT

man this is a great site. Great info and suggestions, thanks guys. I will mess around with the height this week before the top end runs, and try a couple different props. Also might get a tip or two at the top end run ;)

Thanks again for the replies, lets keep this going with what and where you are running.

Thanks a ton,

fish

95 river rocket single seat mvp bottom around 600-650 lbs i think it could be more or less? 2.5 carb motor don't know true hp but will spin over 8g's bolted right to the transom cle lower with the water pick up's level with the bottom of boat. boat likes the cleaver's 14.5 28-30pitch would like to try a 32-34 one of these day's, never did a top speed run but was over a 100mph with a lot more to go.

dan

95 river rocket single seat mvp bottom around 600-650 lbs i think it could be more or less? 2.5 carb motor don't know true hp but will spin over 8g's bolted right to the transom cle lower with the water pick up's level with the bottom of boat. boat likes the cleaver's 14.5 28-30pitch would like to try a 32-34 one of these day's, never did a top speed run but was over a 100mph with a lot more to go.

dan

CLE'S i have found that these boats run better with a sportmaster or any other case besides a cle unless you put a nosecone on it i think the cle is to short they seem to run 4to 6 mph faster with a sportmaster.keys dave fish i will see you at the top end runs this weekend a look at your setup and give you my advice. also i talked to pete with the person triad he is bringing it down to the keys this april and i am going to help him with his setup and get him running so stay tuned for news on that also thanks keys dave

hey matt,

hanging in their, just recovering from another back surgery. i'll try to get some pic's up later.

dan