ProComp

skeg question

Well I tagged rock this weekend and had to modify my stock CLE skeg. Will this shape effect performance below 100 mph? Also, any input on how to properly shape the leading edge as its pretty thick? Was going to just shape and feather it by hand with files. :(

post-70-1182135875.jpg

if it were mine i would get rid of that annoying point and do this. just a suggestion.

post-70-11821358751.jpg

I'm not opposed to doing that I was just thinking why take off more skeg then I have too. If there are handling issues or something etc I will for sure. It would kind of like what they call an ALLY CUT I guess.

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else?

Sure freaked me out when I hit it. Was only going about 30. Must have been a sharp one as it appears I kind of skipped off it. Lousy thing is I know its there and its usually marked I just thought I was far enough over.

I have been told that the angle of the skeg's leading edge and trailing edge affects the lift characteristics of the gearcase, so be careful when changing it.

Yeah that is a tuff one to take Brad...not sure what to say other then proceed with caution as most of us enjoy the handling characteristic of the fat skeg.

Brad, here is another mod you may want to chew on. if the skeg is full length you can trim the bottom 3/4"-1" or even with the bottom of the wheel. ive done it to mine without any issues and i've been to 126mph. those skegs are real thick.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm gonna try it like this first. Was looking at my buddies sportmaster and my CLE skeg seems way thicker? Thought the sportys were? His is the same shape as mine too however he has a welded torque tab extending further back.

Thanks again!

Love the black and white. My buddys sporty is pretty much identical as is mine now.

126 eh, impressive. B)