ProComp

Steering Set Up Options

Lets see and hear about some steering options.

I know some of the Eastcoast guys run a side ram hydraullic system. I'd like to see some pics and find out what kind of money that system is to install. Matt?

Can you still buy a new dual opposed cable steering system for a side steer STV?

Anyone running wing plates, cables and pulleys on a side steer?

RBT, RPM - any pics of what you guys went with?

imco is the best deal. a system without their stainless lines and thru hull fittings is 1300. thats ram,pin, and plate, and the mounting bolts.

you can get a seastar helm, the 2.4 for around 400, and get a set of new lines made for about 100. it's alot of money, but at the speeds we

run i dont want to trust my life with a 5/16" bolt. its dangerous enough, without that to worry about. guys will spend 5000 to hop up their

engine and think nothing of it. i guess cause it doesnt make you faster it gets overlooked.

good luck,

matt

Thanks buddy, how about some pics when you get a chance. I'm thinking that will be the winter project.

If you stumble on some good used stuff please let me know.

I would have to say after owning and driving all the different options I would never have anything on a rocket other than the cable and pulley steering set up. The feel in the wheel is really nice and you can feel what the skeg and prop is doing all the time.

Brad you can put a cable and pulley set up in a side steer, Ken Medendorp has it on his Rocket with a 12" mid.

If you want to go to cable and pulley I have almost everything you need to do it. I have a set of front pulleys mounted to angle aluminum that bolt through your bulkhead and I have the cable tie backs and the cable clamps, and I have templates for a 15" and 12" wingplate for a STV. All you need is the steering shaft and front drum to wrap the cable around.

Let me know what your plan is, the cable and pulley set up is the best in my opinion on a fast boat.

Just to clarify in my post above, I have not driven a boat with the side ram hyd. set up, but I have owned 2 boats with the sea star hyd steering and never really liked how there is no feel in the wheel, I would assume the side ram to be the same?

I agree Rob there was no handling problems, the boat takes a nice set, there was a speed problem as we were only going 90, I kept waiting for you to drop the hammer :P

Thanks for the feedback. I found a good post that Lance started on ScreamandFly. Sounds like hydraullically you can run a 2.4 SeaStar helm with an IMCO side ram cylinder, wing plate, and tilt pin.

I hear ya on the "FEEL" thing Phil and will let ya know for sure if I go that way.

This would be a winter thing and I am considering coring the center sponson on the Rocket as well.

I agree Rob there was no handling problems, the boat takes a nice set, there was a speed problem as we were only going 90, I kept waiting for you to drop the hammer :P

LOL, sounds like mine however its me waiting for the motor to take off! :lol: My buddy Paul keeps asking me how mine handles and I keep telling him awesome, like its on rails and then we remember were under 100 so it should. :rolleyes:

I do seem to notice that the ModVP does seem to slow down smoother then the SKI bottom as people have said.

coring your center sponson it a great idea, at the same time I would tie in the transom instead of leaving it open like that.

RT

I hear ya but with the help of my buddy Riverman, the core should be a piece of cake as he just did his Viper with materials supplied by Spaith and coaching from Spaith. Finishing off the back will not be so easy. Its purely cosmetic too as this transom is tuff.

What's wrong with running the entire Sea Star set up? I have been getting closer with the set up on my Euro and was planning on putting on the Sea Star unit when I get it perfect. What are the pros and cons to the side ram or the front mounted ram? Is there a preference? If so, what? Thanks for the feedback.

From what I understand the side ram uses much larger (stronger mounting hardware). It mounts and steers from the exhaust plate versus the tiller/steering arm so you don't have to worry about tiller arm issues or what some feel a rather small single bolt going through the tiller/steering arm.

Nothing wrong with the whole SeaStar, the side ram system is just another step up.

PS - love that Euro!

What's wrong with running the entire Sea Star set up? I have been getting closer with the set up on my Euro and was planning on putting on the Sea Star unit when I get it perfect. What are the pros and cons to the side ram or the front mounted ram? Is there a preference? If so, what? Thanks for the feedback.

there have been deaths and serious injuries linked to the seastar syst. you can do a search. at least 1 death in my area last month linked to seastar in a euro. my allison bass has it and handles great at 100mph but it's not the safest syst.

i also may need to update components on my river rocket as they are getting old and dry rot(pulley and cable). this will be something i will address here for help and advice.

Death, WOW! That's serious. I guess those words can change a guys mind about a product. In that case is there a complete set up that you would recommend for the Euro (death not included)

ProComp, thanks for the complement!

sea star pro is around $800, and still relies on that little bitty 5/16" bolt attatched to the tiller arm.

side mount is close to $2000, the plate is held on by four to five 3/8" bolts, and i dont think the pin or

ram have anything less than 1/2". the cost difference is why most stay away from the side mount.

as stated above, the downside of the hydraulic steering is you dont have nearly the feel of the boat anymore.

Hey Matt, that yellow Euro from Canada is heading to PA, buddy of yours?

I also hear Herb Euro is heading here :) (not me)

STVMATT,

So, what do you think the best set up is? Taking into consideration safety, boat feel and ease of turning. Thanks