ProComp

Steering Set Up Options

http://www.byuboyz.com/forums/showthread.p...ighlight=killed

read this if you have any questions about the 5/16" bolt. it's a sad example.

Read that thread and found this:

Dual same side cables with the one arm. Whats left of the bolt and nut still on the tiller.

So does the dual same side steering use only one arm to connect the cables to the tiller arm? RC51, that's your setup, right?

yep, one arm, one bolt.

Agreed then, that I wouldn't call safe. The dual opposed setup like I have has 2x the number of bolts and attachment points.

yep, one arm, one bolt.

Agreed then, that I wouldn't call safe. The dual opposed setup like I have has 2x the number of bolts and attachment points.

any one using a renalds racing stering yoke on there sea star set up. i bought and installed one on my euro with the sea star stering it bolts to the adapter plate on both sides and then to the tiller arm wth a ARP bolt and nylock nut. if tiller fails its still attatched at the adapter plate. botls up like a wing plate but not with the ram ect.

yep, one arm, one bolt.

any one using a renalds racing stering yoke on there sea star set up. i bought and installed one on my euro with the sea star stering it bolts to the adapter plate on both sides and then to the tiller arm wth a ARP bolt and nylock nut. if tiller fails its still attatched at the adapter plate. botls up like a wing plate but not with the ram ect.

anyone else using this renalds racing stering yoke??

The yoke is the weak link once you have eliminated the bolt problem, if this fails you are screwed. The 1/4 peice of Aluminum from Renyolds will fold like a peice of paper if the tiller breaks, it is a false sense of security.

RT

The yoke is the weak link once you have eliminated the bolt problem, if this fails you are screwed. The 1/4 peice of Aluminum from Renyolds will fold like a peice of paper if the tiller breaks, it is a false sense of security.

RT

firestarter thanks for your reply i hope it is stronger than you sugest though. have you seen one in person. i think it may be stonger than you think. of course i like the lathem ram wing plate set up the best just havnt done it.

yes, many of them. It is 6061 aluminum, good stuff......but not enough. It is an improvement, but the bottom line is this area is weak after the bolt issue has been solved ( sort of solved ).

Here is the Merc Bolt infor and picture of the double bolts on the steering yoke with an opposed set-up

post-6-1185477852.jpg

post-6-1185477870.jpg

post-6-1185477974.jpg

I have used the "y" bars as some extra insurance on the last few rides. We made them from 1/8" SS which is 3 times stronger then Aluminum...no failures to report ...so far...also these rigs were 80 mph rides - not 100+

Yes inspections per outing are required and just a reminder to if you do a lot of trailing...stuff shakes apart on the road often more then on the water too.

Also set-up - set-up...a fined tuned machine won't hardly have any load on the wheel thus hardly and steering load at the motor either

post-6-1185478386.jpg

post-6-1185478465.jpg

If the tiller breaks I don't think any of the other stuff matters. If it breaks between bolts? What if it just breaks off?

If one of those bolts do break does this plate turn into a pivot? A pivot on the remaining bolt or is there a physical blocking to it?

I mean it looks like the 2 bolts are still just a single bolt.

I seem to remember a type that looked more like a sleeve than a Y plate?