fish

Did A little prop testing today

I went out today to run the euro before the jungle run this weekend. Decided to take a few props with me; 2 new to me props that I have not run but wanted to try. THIS IS BY NO MEANS SCIENTIFIC, just some results generally from three different props running on the same boat, hot and humid as hell, 3/4 to 1/2 tank of gas. Euro, ski bottom, stock 260, 20"sportmaster w/1.87 gears. I decided to make the control rpms 7300 since that is where I hit 100 with the euro and the ET, and there were some lake lice on the lake throwing some random wakes.

First was my control prop: 30 et 3 blade. As mentioned above, 100mph @ 7300rpms. This is still my favorite prop. Also ran this first, so the tank was closer to 3/4 full (boat was heaviest with this one).

Second prop: 4 blade 28 ron hill ET copy. 89.4mph @ 7300rpms. I did not expect much from this prop. I wanted to try a 4 blade and love my et, so I figured for the money, even if it sucks I have a stump cutter for runs when water levels are low. I was pleasantly surprised at first. Steering torque was less than real 3 blade ET(expected since it was a 4 blade) and I liked not having to fight the steering wheel. I found I needed a little more trim, not sure why. Prop was quick and responsive and carried the boat pretty well. However, I began to notice a vibration; not a big shutter, but definitely noticeable especially over 5000rpms so I decided time to take it off while my LU is still in tact.

third prop: 3 blade 30 hoss triton: 98.5 @ 7300rpms. I liked the prop and have heard good things about them, but I did not like it as much as the ET. I am sure some of it has to do with not having the same amount of experience driving with the hoss as the ET, but it did not carry the bow well IMHO, and had more steering torque than the ET. Additionally, this was the third prop and the tank was down to close to 1/2 tank so the boat was the lightest when I ran this one; still slower than the ET.

like I said, these are not scientific and the props are not all the same size.. just my observations with three props. I might try to get together 6-7 different boats this winter when the air is cooler, less boat traffic and all run a bunch of different props just to see what happens. I will hopefully have a real 4 blade et by then.

Is a ET prop the one that looks like cleaver but has rounded tips?

yep, here is a bit on the ET from the mercury site including a pic. http://www.mercuryracing.com/products/prop...rs/chopper2.php

I got to run with a couple other euros this past weekend. Both were running mazco RE3's(I think 30's). Euro Scott has a 280, 20" 1.87 sportmaster, and had just gotten his prop back from a prop shop reparing a crack. Tom Foleyhas a 260, 20" 1.87 sportmaster, cracked his third RE3 this weekend and is pretty much done with them. The RE3 was my favorite prop until I got my ET (the RE3 is a bit slower and more steering torque), but still use it when I have a couple people in the boat or a lot of stuff. IMHO, it has more bow lift than the ET and works better despite greater steering torque when the boat is loaded down.

i also have a cracked 29 re3. it's a sad such a good wheel won't make it.

Did you mean 89.4 or 99.4 with the Ron Hill...yes this cool info THX

Did you mean 89.4 or 99.4 with the Ron Hill...yes this cool info THX

Not a typo, 89.4 is correct. tons os slip or the 28 bought is really something less, but the speed and rpm's were correct.

I agree piroque, it is too bad. There is a thread on S&F talking about the RE3's and some of the folks seem to think the props under 27p hold toogether better, it is just the larger wheels that seem to crack. I cannot say one way or another as mine are 28 and 30 and have not broken yet. I do not run them much though, so that could have something to do with it

Thanks for the clarification Fish