SD Mikey

Trim indicator on 260

Ok Im use to looking at the trim gauge and not having to turn around and check the roost. I have a gauge in the dash but it has never worked. I don't even see anything on my 260 that would read trim. Does it have any kind of trim on it? Do I need to install one of those brackets?

Ok Im use to looking at the trim gauge and not having to turn around and check the roost. I have a gauge in the dash but it has never worked. I don't even see anything on my 260 that would read trim. Does it have any kind of trim on it? Do I need to install one of those brackets?

I would install a stainless marine mech trim. I am not sure if there is a trim indicator in the 260 or not, but the merc gauges are not reall acurate IMHO, the mech gauge is.

I used to have to turn around and look at my rooster tail to know if i was in the ball park then go by feel. Lost a few pairs of sunglasses looking back, and a couple of times I got a little more trim that I was planning. I still think feel for the boat is the best, but I like being able to glance at the dash and know what ball park I am in with out having to take my eyes off where I am going (my gauge is actually at the highest point in my faux windscreen).

What do you need accuracy for if your in the ball park? :unsure:

The sender is just a rotary resistor located on the port side at the rams top pin. The screw slot turns it. Whether a 260 had one or not shouldn't matter since it probably has the plate and screw for putting this thing on. If you don't have one on the engine then this is why your gauge don't work. :lol:

I'm biased against the $700 don't know what it reads indicators so I won't say anything more. You do need the bracket, gauge and cable though if you go that route.

It was just so nice to be able to trim it the same every time with the gauge and never have to look back. With two people i can feel it but when I have 4 big people and 2 coolers and a EZ UP its harder so the gauge would be nice. I looked on my 260 and dont see anything that is near the rotating clamp area that would sense the trim.

Are you serious or kidding?

A bit of both. If you just want to be in the ball park then the merc thing is ok.

The spot I'm talking about is clearer in the picture? I don't see why a 260 wouldn't have it since its how you install the rams top pin.

4l5zf69.jpg

#1 is the location, since my pin isn't in you don't see it. This is with the cover off.

#2 is the trim\tilt switch.

The way it works is the rams pin is pinned in place, it rotates with the ram.

go with the mechanical guage if you have to have one. the merc analog guage system is slow to react [ but faster than the smart craft system] . the mechanical is right now but wont read tilt. jay smaith has on for 125.

You need the fork gadget on the OB.

The cable

The mechanical linear gauge

This don't go for $125.

Although it looks cheaper than the livorsi set.

Or should I use the word less expensive :P