ncjoyota

stepped sponsons

I have a 1986 STV sprint bottom boat.. and it has steps on the sponsons @ the back 4 or 5 feet of the boat..

the other day I was riding with some fellow speedboaters, and one of them took interest in my boat imediately after he noticed the stepped sponsons... and tried to buy it on the spot....

he told me that I didnt know what I was sitting in... and told me to let him know first when I decide to sell it and get a newer boat...

so my question is, what is the big deal with the steps in the back of the sponsons??

I realize that when the boat is flying, less surface touching the water would be better.. making the steps an advantage..... But he said it was a rare boat..

help me realize what it is exactally that Ive been riding in these last few months.

Ill get some pics up as soon as I get my camera home from work tomorrow.. (ok here are some new pics)

Joe

post-3794-1192309079.jpg

The only one that I know of with stepped sponsons was the drag bottom. Not sure what year they were built, but there were very few boats. Maybe yours is something different. Post some good picts, and im sure someone else will post lots of info.

Lance

fast phll had the same boat as me

thats the exact same boat I have... same everything.. paint hull and all

those are the steps Im talkin about...Ill take some better pics right now

post-3794-1192308974.jpg

What's the advantage of the steps? Does it handle/drive any different?

Ive seen a bunch of these boats that didnt look like they had steps at all. But it dosent seem that rare to me... I have seen 3 that do have the steps so far..

it dosent seem to turn that well, but it does really well in a strait line. it flys really well and level

heres 2 with no steps

post-3794-1192586670.jpg

post-3794-1192587079.jpg

Joe the last 2 boats you put pictures up for have a different bottom, they have either the SKI or ModVP bottom and not the sprint bottom. Every Sprint bottom I have seen has the steps, I had one and did not like it, used it about 5 times and sold it.

If you can get good money from someone who is a fan of them and you can afford to step up to a ski or modvp bottom procomp do it.

i would think the steps would be to keep the sponson from diving while turning. they would force the sponsom up.

We have a 1994 model with the steped bottom but doesnt seem to look like what you guys have, I could be wrong but havent looked at boat in a while, I know boat doesnt like a bunch of trim or the motor to high . Jeff

In 1986 Roark designed the pickel fork-- sometime in 87-88 he redigned to the bottom you have (sprint). thenn in1989 late he went to the ski bottom(big inverted v to the front) then he redigned to the mod vp(small inverted v & turn fin) 1994 he built the drag bottom which is the boat on the lift. the drag bottom is totally different from the sprint. its steps are futher forward among many other difference. Wrong set up and the drag will do a 180. This is it in the short version. I havent found any boat that goes up in value. all in who wants it and what they are willin to give.

Brian.

In 1986 Roark designed the pickel fork-- sometime in 87-88 he redigned to the bottom you have (sprint). thenn in1989 late he went to the ski bottom(big inverted v to the front) then he redigned to the mod vp(small inverted v & turn fin) 1994 he built the drag bottom which is the boat on the lift. the drag bottom is totally different from the sprint. its steps are futher forward among many other difference. Wrong set up and the drag will do a 180. This is it in the short version. I havent found any boat that goes up in value. all in who wants it and what they are willin to give.

What we have is whats on the lift, Your wright if its not setup it will bust your ace,looks like the older stepped bottom might work better and a little safer too.what happened to that bottom mold Jeff

Brian.

mines an 86

the fins arent for turning I dont think, because it dosent turn very well at all... I have to make wide turns with it or it will try to hook and throw everything out of the boat lol

it flys really well, but I think I need to do some setup adjusting.. i think the center hight is to high.. maby

I can't really get much more than 85mph out of it.. but that could be the engine.. its taching about 6300 at that speed with a 28p big ear chopper.

200 merc bone stock

thanks for all the info

Joe