Since the board been quite I'll start something

How do you think a 225 H.O. E-tec would run on the back of a Euro.

I been thinking about it with the price of gas.

But I don't know how the boat would handle it.

Any Feed back.

Since the board been quite I'll start something

How do you think a 225 H.O. E-tec would run on the back of a Euro.

I been thinking about it with the price of gas.

But I don't know how the boat would handle it.

Any Feed back.

Not trying to make this a ford chevy thing since I really have a a lot of respect for the new BRP offerings and would not have any concerns about owning one despite being very much a merc guy. However, it is my understanding the Optimax is better on fuel economy than the etec. Bass and wall eye showed it in the head to head tests. Both are very good and I have heard nothing but glowing praises for BRP's warranty and customer service. The 225HO is an awesome motor, but so is the optimax. I would think that given the relative parity in performance and fuel with the merc only having a slight edge, I would think warranty and customer service would more or a decision maker if brand loyalty is not a concern. Just my $.02.

What kind of prices do they get for both motors? Warranty? That might be the deciding factor. I drove by a boat dealer near my house and they have a special sale on the 225 HO for $11,000. Is that a good price? I have no idea what they go for.

From a performance standpoint the 225HO wont hang with the 260 or 280 of coarse, but If you want everyday driveability with little hassles, I think it would be a good choice. I think you would get respectable speeds from the setup.

Kurt

There is a guy down the street that has one on the back of a 21 ft. Checkmate. I haven't talked to him about it but he's always out on the lake and it seems to run pretty good. The only reason I was thinking Eude because I've had one on the back of my stream for 30+ years with out any problems. I getting to the point that running in the 80's is ok I really never get out and do speed runs to see how fast it is. Up here we boat on a chain of lakes and you have quite a few no wake channels and I get a lot of poeple giving me the evil eye with all the smoke the 245 makes. So i was looking at something cleaner. I also have a Ski-Doo too and never had a problem engine wise with it.

I did find a priceon line.

E225DHLSC

$20,580.00 list

$18,050.00 sale

90*V-6/200.1 CU IN

20"

E-TEC

BLUE

H.O. STARS &

STRIPES

REMOTE

ELECTRIC

There is a guy down the street that has one on the back of a 21 ft. Checkmate. I haven't talked to him about it but he's always out on the lake and it seems to run pretty good. The only reason I was thinking Eude because I've had one on the back of my stream for 30+ years with out any problems. I getting to the point that running in the 80's is ok I really never get out and do speed runs to see how fast it is. Up here we boat on a chain of lakes and you have quite a few no wake channels and I get a lot of poeple giving me the evil eye with all the smoke the 245 makes. So i was looking at something cleaner. I also have a Ski-Doo too and never had a problem engine wise with it.

I did find a priceon line.

E225DHLSC

$20,580.00 list

$18,050.00 sale

90*V-6/200.1 CU IN

20"

E-TEC

BLUE

H.O. STARS &

STRIPES

REMOTE

ELECTRIC

Totally understand and think it would be an awesome combo. I think Ocean marine ran a 3.0L merc on a euro and it ran really well, so I would guess the extra weight of the etec over the 245 would not hurt much if at all, and I would bet that if you ever wanted to break the tripple digit mark it would do it no problem. Looking at your post again, I realize you were not asking about the etec 225, but how it would run on the euro.

I love my 260, but there are definitely times when it would be nice to have a basically maaintenance free motor that I could run all weekend on a tank of gas with.

Ive had both, the 260 and 280. Both were excellent motors with no major explosins or trouble and I ran them hard. My favorite was the Offshore race 280. Bullet proof with some serious punch mid range. The mileage was excellent too. With a 28p prop I could get close to but not quite 5 miles per gallon. You might want to consider a good clean stock 280. You wont be dissapointed.

Kurt

Got this pricing from Jaco's Marine

225XS Racing Sport Optimax $13230 2 YEAR WARRANTY

250XS Racing Sport Optimax $13950 2 YEAR WARRANTY

300XS Racing Sport Optimax $14990 2 YEAR WARRANTY

300XS Offshore Racing Sport Optimax $15490 2 YEAR WARRANTY

It's just something I been wondering.

Does anyone have an E-tec on a STV?

I hope to some day. An E-tec powerhead would bolt right on to my setup. When the rev limiter is removed, I hear that they scream. Of course this mod is not available to the public yet, but when it is I want one.

From what I've heard, the factory has helped and supported testing of the E-tec with removed rev limiter.

Im sure when rev limiter removal and fuel curve mapping is available, that it will be just to the race circuit guys. Of course it will make it into the hands of guys like us.

As for weight, mine runs great.

I have a 2000 STV Euro with a 1999 225 Johnson stock except for the relived exhaust on the midsection and lower unit. My question is if you were going

to use an Etec do you have to relieve the exhaust in the midsection or would it work fine as is? I love the Etec's and have always wonted to know if you

could run as is or have to relieve. I hope this isn't a dumb ?????

i little different thought in the same line. why not a 2.5xs. they quite making [or atleast silling ] in the states. the motor like the 200xs is about the best for fuel economy. i can get up to 7.5 mph with my 200xs. scream and fly mounted a 2.5xs on a stv type boat and got into the 103+- range with 4 adults on board.

I was only thinking of the E-Tec to have matching motors at home.

My other boat has a 75 Eude on it.

I was only thinking of the E-Tec to have matching motors at home.

My other boat has a 75 Eude on it.

Not an e-Rude but would think performance would be similar.

Was a guy out of Chicago that had a 225XS on a Euro and it was bad ass! I think it would run 100 but all day long w/no smoke or noise! I enjoed watching it around dock as it shifted and idled like a stocker.

On the E-Tec's, I have been watching and once I can pull it off I am looking at two 250 HO's for my Sonic.

As is/stock they are the typical OMC grunt monster and pull hard to 6K which is equal to the Mercs.

As already eluded to there is a guy up north drag racing a 225 E-Tec on a Mirage and the thing is near stone stock other than a re-curved "box" , turned it 7500+ all season and beats all the 260's in his class every weekend.

The new 250 HO's also have 1.71 gears which is what I've been waiting on. The prop calculator says that's ateast 5 MPH's on out boats.

Oh yeah. 3 yr freagin warranty :o

Gary

Not to rain on Bretts or Etecs parade. Im guessing thats who you are talking about. Heres a few pictures of him and I racing in 06 at Blarneys. Stock 280 ECU done by Rapair vs Its not a 225 etec and its not stock. I promise you.

And I was running a prop that sucked out of the hole.

Kurt

actytk.jpg

2edxft4.jpg

107rgna.jpg

k9c3nc.jpg

208eku9.jpg

Not to rain on Bretts or Etecs parade. Im guessing thats who you are talking about. Heres a few pictures of him and I racing in 06 at Blarneys. Stock 280 ECU done by Rapair vs Its not a 225 etec and its not stock. I promise you.

And I was running a prop that sucked out of the hole.

Kurt

I know quite a bit about that motor. '07 motor was closer to stock (and won a lot more) than previous version.

I guess the idea of a near stock, very mildly ported (WAYYYY less than a 260 or 280!!!) DIRECT injected green motor with a Hi Perf fuel curve out running HAND BUILT FACTORY RACE MOTORS impresses me a bit but I have been called simple before.

He did win more in 07. I believe he might have won one race in 16 weeks of racing in 06 when I and Jeff H werent there(closing on new houses). I cant remember exactly. Both 280's. I wish I would have raced 07. It would have been a different situation.

Well, this year he has a bone stock 250 HO on it. And I mean bone stock, not even plastic reeds and a factory EMM. The 250 HO does not have the 1.71 lower on it, only the 300 does. And the 07 motor was not "ported" it was within factory specs, with minor other mods.

He raced the new motor in Kingston, TN this past weekend. He came in second in River Racer running my 29 Yamaha prop. Once he gets the prop figured out the boat will be VERY FAST. Considering it weighs 1710# I think it ran very well. Considering the boat that won the class was a couple of hundred pounds lighter, well, you figure it out.

To top it all off he was giving rides to the press, people from the city, etc....

HERE is a newspaper article about this past weekend.

2cdh3j6.jpg

14si4g6.jpg

Well, this year he has a bone stock 250 HO on it. And I mean bone stock, not even plastic reeds and a factory EMM. The 250 HO does not have the 1.71 lower on it, only the 300 does. And the 07 motor was not "ported" it was within factory specs, with minor other mods.

He raced the new motor in Kingston, TN this past weekend. He came in second in River Racer running my 29 Yamaha prop. Once he gets the prop figured out the boat will be VERY FAST. Considering it weighs 1710# I think it ran very well. Considering the boat that won the class was a couple of hundred pounds lighter, well, you figure it out.

To top it all off he was giving rides to the press, people from the city, etc....

Very well done Joe! Great newspaper article. Used to race kneel downs in Kingston. Great course.

On Bretts '07 motor I thought he told me they cleaned up the ports?? As to the gears, attached is right from brp.com

Main point for me is a near stone stock green motor against a hand built 2.5.......and is good as it is absolutely amazing!

Guess it would be better if it was an Opti huh?

E-TEC 250 H.O. | V6 - Specifications

PDF version

Get Acrobat Reader

Engine: Loop Charged V6 90° E-TEC Direct Injection Bore in/mm: 3.854 in / 98 mm Stroke in/mm: 3 in / 76 mm Displacement cu: 210 cui / 3441 cc Starting: Electric Trim Method: FasTrak Power Trim and Tilt Propshaft kilowatts (HP): Factory Tuned for High Performance Full Throttle Operating

Range (RPM): 4500-6000 Gear Ratio: 1.71:1 Fuel Induction: E-TEC Direct Fuel Injection with stratified low RPM combustion mode Alternator: Variable Voltage Computer Controlled 133 Amp / 1800 watt output with Regulator Cooling: Pressure and Temperature Controlled Water Cooled Steering: Remote Limited Warranty: 3 Years Non-Declining Compliance: EPA 2006, CARB 3 STAR, European Union 2006 Colours: Blue Length: 20 in / 508 mm or 25 in / 635 mm Dry Weight: 507 lbs / 230 kg or 515 lbs / 234 kg

Gary

My bad Gary. I'm on the phone with Brett and he set me straight about the 1.71 lower:o

You're wrong on the porting though.

How much of the weight difference is it going to effect the handling of the boat.

Being that my boat is a 93, I wonder about the extra weight on the back.

Would I have to renforce the transom?

How much of the weight difference is it going to effect the handling of the boat.

The weight won't affect it at all. You just need to get the setback right. Transom will be fine as long as it's in good shape.

The weight won't affect it at all. You just need to get the setback right. Transom will be fine as long as it's in good shape.

The one I saw w/th 225 XS would be virtually the same weight as the E-Tec.

My 2009 250HO is only a few days away from being hung off the back of my Euro! Starting with 6" setback.

What props should i be using for this setup? I have a 28 Yamaha but thats it. Was thinking a big ET (3 or 4 blade) or maybe a cleaver???

Adam