My 2009 250HO is only a few days away from being hung off the back of my Euro! Starting with 6" setback.

What props should i be using for this setup? I have a 28 Yamaha but thats it. Was thinking a big ET (3 or 4 blade) or maybe a cleaver???

Adam

hey adam,

that sounds really cool, put up some pics whenyou get a chance.

Here are my thoughts on the prop. I want to qualify this by saying I am winging a lot of this and just really thinking out loud based on my experience and a little speculation.

I personally love my 3 blade et. from what I have seen, the people who get the most speed out of their stv's with sporty's are usually running cleavers (helmut, keys dave...etc). cleaver is a stern lifting prop. With the extra weight of the h.o. vs a 260, drag, 280, you might need a bit more stern lift anyway. When I ran my 4 blade et, I found it to be faster than the 3 blade which I assume is due to greater efficiency, and it had considerably more stern lift than the 3 blade.

Assuming you can get a hub to run an et for a brp motor, i am guessing the 4 blade ET might be a good prop based the greater stern lift since the h.o. is a bit heavier than a lot of the merc's we are running. Again, I am just winging this, but based on my limited knowledge those are my thoughts.

Thanks for the reply Fish, do you feel the lower engine height im going to have to run with the BRP gearbox may affect prop choice? I wont have access to many props to try/borrow for testing being located in Australia, its going to be a case of make an educated guess and buy one.

Im pretty sure you can get hub kits to suit BRP/OMC for any flo torque prop, is that right?

Will definately get some pics up once the boat is completed.

Cool. I've been waiting for someone to do this.

Im running a OMC 3 liter with a merc sporty on my euro. My boat really likes the 3 blade ET. I have never run the 4 blade. To run the Merc hub kit on the OMC shaft, I believe you could just drill out 1" of the splines. Looking foward to your results.

Fish.

What was your final result with the pro et prop ? mph, rpm ?

I thought id put a quick update in here, running the 250HO 1.5 inches below the pad for now, on a 9" jackplate.

Still getting used to the boat having only driven V bottoms before but i am getting 90mph GPS with a 28 Trophy Plus at around 5900rpm. Still a few 100rpms left to go, just have not found a good stretch of water to wind it out yet. Very responsive motor, plenty of torque!

I have not heard of many people running the Trophy on a STV, so its sure to go even better with the right prop. Might be able to borrow a 4 blade ET, any other suggestions?

Adam

I thought id put a quick update in here, running the 250HO 1.5 inches below the pad for now, on a 9" jackplate.

Still getting used to the boat having only driven V bottoms before but i am getting 90mph GPS with a 28 Trophy Plus at around 5900rpm. Still a few 100rpms left to go, just have not found a good stretch of water to wind it out yet. Very responsive motor, plenty of torque!

I have not heard of many people running the Trophy on a STV, so its sure to go even better with the right prop. Might be able to borrow a 4 blade ET, any other suggestions?

Adam

What about getting hold of the guys from Labsport/sportsfisherman marine? They should have an assortment of props to try. They were running 4 bladers on their old raceboat at one stage. Post some pics when you can.

Bullet 1650,

You have a chance to run other props , and raise the motor yet ? Im sure it has allot left in it, from your trophy setup.

I have not had a chance as yet to borrow another prop, i do have a 4 blade pro et lined up, just need to make it happen.

I was without a boat for so long i'm just enjoying it as is for now.

Here is a pic...

euro1.jpg

Lets see some more picture of your boat. Thats the first ETec I've seen on a Euro. Looks like the motor is sitting really low. I bet it will pick up quite a bit of speed when you get low water p/u, and raise the motor.

Our boat weights are about the same and mine loves the 3 blade ET, I have wanted to try a 4 blade ET, Im sure it will work well.

Lance

InspectorLance,

Motor is buried for the time being, its almost 2" below. I have plenty of water pressure so can go higher with standard water pickups. would be nice to see how fast it will go with everything standard BRP. Had unreliable / modified motors in the past and would be nice to not modify this one in any way!

I'm real keen to try this 4 blade ET now, engine height may follow shortly.

Haven't really got too many photos of it yet, heres another one though. More to come later.

October2008stv.jpg

1650, that is one of the best looking euro's I have ever seen and I am pretty partial to mine!!!

thanks for the input on the HO too, I am sure there are many more people here interested on how it runs.

Looks pretty sweet with that e-tec hanging off the back.

When Joihn Graff had his River Rocket with the big Yammi on the back he ran a 30 or 32 Bravo 4 blade with holes through the hub and it ran real good. So you may want to look into that.

Quick update guys, finally got my hands on the 32 Mazco 3 Blade. Motor is still well below the pad, ran up to 96 mph gps @ 5900rpm and ran out of river. Screams to 90 odd then every mph after that is a bit slower. That being said it did keep accelerating, my gut feel is very high 90's is within reach, if not the magical 100 mark. Not bad for a stock green motor without a low water pickup, well i think so anyway!

Adam

Quick update guys, finally got my hands on the 32 Mazco 3 Blade. Motor is still well below the pad, ran up to 96 mph gps @ 5900rpm and ran out of river. Screams to 90 odd then every mph after that is a bit slower. That being said it did keep accelerating, my gut feel is very high 90's is within reach, if not the magical 100 mark. Not bad for a stock green motor without a low water pickup, well i think so anyway!

Adam

With a coned case and some height, you'd be well into triple digits. Beautiful boat.

One of these days I plan on dropping a Etec 300 powerhead on my setup. Just wish I had the extra cash to do it now. Hopefully in the future we will get some options to raise the rpm of these motors.