stvdrive

propshafts

been trying to get my sportmaster back together, got some good used parts ,mainly for replacement propshaft smallshaft, found out that there are 2 different sizes of the hypo smallshafts as my replacement shaft is slightly larger than the original.my 1.87 foreward & reverse wont fit ! sooo ,it looks like i'll be installing the complete 2 to one setup in that case that came with the shaft & carrier, aint gonna see any top end with that!

GARY...I am a little confused here. Are you going to install 2:1 instead of 1:87? Let me know what you need as I may be able to help with your info...also let me know the part neumbers you are looking for? Don't forget that if you go 2:1 your pinion has to change too.

GARY...I am a little confused here. Are you going to install 2:1 instead of 1:87? Let me know what you need as I may be able to help with your info...also let me know the part neumbers you are looking for? Don't forget that if you go 2:1 your pinion has to change too.

yea anthony, i have a complete hypo set of internals with all gears that i got while looking for a smallshaft that we are installing in this case.it will be 2 to 1 ratio. i figure i'll try this ratio & then just keep it for a spare,got a nearly mint 1.87 sportmaster ,stock case coming as of today.

got some interesting info about my sportie with the broken propshaft today, the gears & propshaft that were in the housing when i bought it were stock internals..not hypo.bought from another site a couple years ago as a complete sportmaster,,, looks like i got owned !!!!!now it has hypo internals.i should have known better.

Gary do you have the old parts? If so send me the part numbers of forward and reverse and we will see what you had?

Gary do you have the old parts? If so send me the part numbers of forward and reverse and we will see what you had?

my lower unit tech told me that numbers matched with stock part numbers & also said that some early hp cases were assembled with alot of different parts.i bought it as a used gearcase & it had some worn carrier nut threads when i got it,we fixed the threads, examined condition of internals which had some wear & resealed it.never checked any part numbers,my bad! i ran it approx.30 to 40 hours before the shaft broke with several fluid changes , no big deal.as we all know ,if you wanna play with hi performance boats, it'l drain your wallet. weather it is maintenence, repairs or bling,it goes with it , but to me ,it's worth it to have nice stuff.

have another question ,i was told by someone (cant remember who) that the hp propshafts were made from a hardened steel & that the standard shafts were stainless, is this a true statment? hello,anyone know? we seem to have stalled out again!?