stvdrive

lower unit questions

question about lower units ,what effect does an allison cut skeg have as compared to a stock,uncut skeg on a sportmaster case? , my current setup is riverrocket ,propshaft at 1 & ahalf above with 6 inch setback.what is the better skeg design for max speed, steering input or feedback & handling & durabuility??? side note ;have run a bobs case,2 hole cle with allison skeg & torque tab added, & an early design sportmaster with allison cut , seems that the cle handled best !?

Roark did design the STV around the CLE case and too this day he would say it is his favorite case on the STV hull. I have run all types on the STV hull and personally I’ll stick to a fairly bone stock SM for general lake boat. Any time you add heat to a factory case you reduce the temper of the alloy…which ultimately leads to a failure. Sure any case will fail but all my cut skeg stuff did not have the service-life I would expect.

Personally I enjoy the fat skeg cause you can get yourself in lots of adverse conditions with the STV and the big Skeg will always get you back on course. In roundy conditions I found that skinny skegs are just that, skinny when it comes to turning the hull.

Keep in mind that The SM and CLE cases are designed to run optimum at neutral trim or slightly negative. Keep it in this position and they work just GREAT. My two cents “)

If you have the choice, you DO NOT want the Allison cut skeg. The stock SM with full skeg is the best set up, and the fastest too. I have been 130+ with a stock SM. Been 130 with a CLE, but did not like it as much as the SM.

If you want top end, you want the 1:87's.

thanks for the info guys,my sportmaster is a swept, cut skeg, now with 2 to 1 ratio due to a replacement propshaft diameter (original 1.87 gears wouldnt fit on the shaft)soooo i just bought a STOCK ,near mint mint condition ,low hour sportmaster with 1.87 ratio. my cle has developed a crack in the skeg & is no longer safe .i need more garage space to store all this stuff!!!!!!!!

Sounds good Gary. Especially having an extra drive.

Glad you like it Gary. Keep us updated

been a while , boats been covered up too long, gotta set aside some quality time for some stv & me! funny that the older i get, the faster time slipps away! just thinking outloud.

How much was your skeg cut i'm running one that is only 2'' wide at the bottomm looks alot like a 200 skeg.Somebody ground about 3/4'' off the bottom of the tourqe tab also.I'm am at only 3/4 up now as far as motor height.The boat seems to get a little more sguirly on decell the higher i go.I started even with pad.I'm a little scarred of the cut skeg.Swept sporty i forgot to mention.Seems i read most folks are running about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 up for lake use.I have 9'' setback plate for 15'' motor.