Coupe427

Are Optimax motors too heavy?

Triad V-21 & Optis

I was curious if the Triad boats could handle the added weight of the new Optimax motors or just stick with the promax 2.5s 225/260/280s? Also what setback seems to work best? Thanks, Gary

I was considering an 06-08 225/250 to put on the back of an open bow. Just wasnt sure about putting that much weight on it. I'll probably try to find an older Merc but wanted to know all my options.

My guess is yes they (Optimax) are too heavy. I had a 2003 225X Merc Promax on my 1998 Triad V-21 before I sold the motor - my boat and trailer still for sale though. Great motor and weighed about 400 lbs. I do not know of anyone running the newer 505 lb Optimax motors on their Triad V-21. Most for sure run Merc 260's, 280's or Merc 225 Promax engines. Don't think Wally built these boats for today's heavier direct injection 3 liter engines. . I think 6 inch set back is about right for this boat. I am sure some of the other Triad V-21 owners will chime in with their thoughts

I've got a 500lbs 3.1 EFI Yamaha on my V21 and it runs great. Wally told me tha tthe motor was not ideal for it but with some mild set up work it runs great. It's not the fastest thing on the planet but it runs 90+ on 87 pump gas and can get right at 5MPG on a long cruise. I'm a happy sucker. JUst keep the set back to around 6 in and you will be fine.