deckofficer

New member's intro and a land-based version of a SVT

Hi all,

Name is Bob and I finally found this forum. I have been interested in the SVT ever since reading a performance test in Hot Boat magazine that pitted this little boat against some real fire breathing blown big blocks about 25 years ago. I didn't run out and buy one then because I felt to safely enjoy its potential, water conditions would have to be ideal for that kind of speed and didn't want to trailer out to the local lakes just to be skunked for the day due to wave height.

Now I'm retired from the Merchant Marine (hence the handle "Deckofficer"), and due to property values being low have decided to buy a lakefront home with covered dock, so perfect for having an SVT ready and primed for favorable water conditions.

I have been the fast boat route before, but nothing like the time to speed and top speed of an SVT. This old flatty with the 392 Hemi and V-drive could manage 85 mph, but I'm sure would take twice as long to reach that speed than a SVT, and it would continue to triple digits while my old Hemi screamed in protest at going 85. This is an old picture I scanned, probably close to 30 years ago at Tahoe, taking my parents for a ride.

Image88965x700.jpg

This is my current land-based version of an SVT, weighing all of 1790 lbs, powered by a sbc (350 block, 400 crank, 383) I built for torque. I gave up around 120 hp on the high end to have 516 lb/ft @ 2800 on the low end going through a Tremec TKO-600 5 speed with 0.64 OD to a Jag IRS 3.54 and 31" tires.

DSC013201014x760.jpg

With this intro I'm hoping some knowledgeable SVT owner will explain to me what I might be getting into with finding a good SVT. Thank you, after years of going 18 kt all over the world, I'm looking forward to something a bit faster and doesn't displace 125,000 tons.

Hi BOB...Welcome to STVowners....Those are some pretty cool rides...past and present...thanks for stopping in ...there is a ton of useful STV info here and even some nice STVs for sale...feel free to fire away and we will direct you as best as possible...Thx,,

My above post was held for moderation so I did another intro. My first question I started a thread on, wondering if anyone was using the Verado 350 SCi?

I know it is about 150 lbs heavier, but I would like a quiet motor with good longevity.

I am not aware of a Verado on an STV...However there are many out there with 250 and 300XS Motors....that get great fuel milage and run fast

Thanks for the reply Anthony. What is your experienced take on hanging an additional 150 lbs on the stern?