Sign in to follow this  
Flyboxes

225 Pro Max fuel pump intermittent

Need help from an expert.

I have a 1999 225 pro max. It only has 335 hours on it in fresh water and looks new. About one year ago the electric fuel pumps started to become intermittent when i went to start it. I found out that if I took a small jump wire and grounded the outboard terminal of the fuel pump I could get the pump to run as long as the key was on. I did the diagnostic procedure in the maintenance manual and at the end it says the problem is either the fuel pump or the ECU. I sent the ECU off to Brucato Inc to be tested. They said they tested it many times and it was working correctly. I installed a new fuel pump. That did not fix the problem. Now I can put the jumper wire on and make the engine start but as soon as I remove it will die. I know that doing the jumper wire could damage my ECU so I do not like to do it.

Any suggestions? Jim

I think you need to find a wiring diagram for the engine injection system. If it's anything like my 280 was and now my 300xs theres a fuel pump relay. The ECM is what turns the relay on which then turns the fuelpump on.