Sign in to follow this  
InsaneSTV

1997 2.5 Dropping cylinders

I have a 1997 2.5 260 freshly rebuilt and ran great for 2 days.  Know all the sudden it is dropping a cylinder or cylinders on the left bank one time then the next time it may be the right or both.  If you gradually build the RPM instead of just putting it on the floor it is fine but if you stomp it from 3000 on it will drop the bank at approx 4000-6000 RPM just depends.  I have swaped all electronics but the ECU and nothing seems to make a difference.  WWWWHHHHAAATTTTSSSS  UUUUPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  By the way I know which bank by a dual EGT.  Thanks and hope someone will have some input...

I have not spent much time fixing OB's but might suggest you check the sparkplug wire resistance. Spent the last 30 years on VW's but find many times the basics are over looked. A goo check is spray the wires and coils with water to see if it starts to miss or arc? Also are the plugs new?

Hehehehe  hay thanks admin. the little things do get looked over.  I replaced the plugs and bam its back in action.  Stupid things that I forget.  Thanks again!!!