• 95-100
    • 100-105
    • 105-110
    • 110-115
    • 115-120
    • 120+

OK Guys lets see were the majority run

post-2-1026351585.jpg

just got new motor together. not much time to play but I pulled 120mph on gps last sunday with my euro. the weather was very warm, hazy and damp. I think on a cool dry day and if I pulled the speedo pitot from draging in the water I will get around 125. I only made 1 pass for that 120. slowing the boat down is a little scary when going that fast. I am still a little cautious. but soon i will fly and hopefully not scream.

I would say 30" wheel, 8500+ Rpm and about 340 Hp should get you in the 125 range :D

Sounds like an STV with a S3000/Drag motor ...right RT???

The above boat it owned by Blake Sewell (and rigged by me)of Toronto Canada, it is a 2000 TRIAD STV River Rocket. It has a pump fuel JSRE/SVS/Diamond/G-Force Drag motor. Through 1.75 gears it turns a 30 cleaver 8900 rpm, for mid-late 120's. (In fresh water I might add)

RT

NO race boats Keith...

both boats I posted are full interior RRs that run 120+

you should see those things pass us as we are going 100...you would not belive it man!!!

post-2-1026419301.jpg

####, that's fast...I gots a long way to go.  :)  That pic you said was RT's boat doesn't look big enough for more than 2 seats.

I am very satisfied with my present speeds. In fact I haven't been over a 100mph this year... mostly due to water conditions and can't find another fast boat to play with. I hope to put on the 32 this weekend sometime and see what happens. Attached in my prop family ET28, 30, 32 lab cleavers. The 28 and 30 hit the limiter real hard but the 32 peaks out at 7500-7600. That's the same 32 I did the article last year entitled "cleaver shootout"! Things happen real fast above 90 so think ahead and stay safe. :0

post-2-1026431884.jpg

NEW boat to me.  First nite out on water calm enough to go fast.  1999 River Rat with 2 180 # Adults--'96 2.5 stock carbuerator powerhead--102 mph on gps.

NICE Props Larry...

Hey Bruce feels good to see 100 first time out eh!!!

You got an easy 5-10 mph more in there!! Have Fun and Play safe!!

Both my (and now a great guy by the name of Brent Milburn) and Blake Sewells STVs are 2000 Triad STV River Rockets. Both boats are within 4 lbs mine being 722lbs and Blakes at 726lbs, with interior, steering, and fuel tanks. Both boats will run over 120 mph everyday. The rigging on both boats is rather simple, but extraordinaily clean (if you have ever seen DCB stuff you will know what I mean). It requires considerable power (about 330-345) to get to these speeds. Both boats ran modified sportmaster gear cases, and Dennis Cavanaugh cleavers. Blakes boat in particular runs a 26 ET for daily use, and will still run 118mph, with very impressive acceleration.

The newest creations are a lot lighter (500lbs), single seaters with huge power (370ish on c-12), these will be drag boats built with the intentions of running ODBA once or twice a year, (it is a long fricken drive south, and time is short with this #### work thing.)

RT

I got a 32 lab cleaver (from dennis also) and turn it a little over 8k (est 8400 on a 8k tach) I need a higher rpm tach. to 10k. to be more accurate. At that speed I cant look at the tach much. in fact the only gauge I watch is the water pressure because of the hydraulic jackplate. things are just happening way to fast to be staring at all the gauges.

today i went out this morning, the winds were around 15-20mph with a pretty good chop going. gps showed 118 and I had to back off. maybe later I will go out if the wind dies down. I just wish for once the weather will cooperate. seems like whenever I get to use the boat, its windy out. oh well.

another early morning run this sunday morning. conditions were like in the picture below. It ran 122 on gps. had a grin from ear to ear. couldnt help myself :):D

Yes this is salt water here but I've run the fresh water too and there isnt much difference. maybe 1 possibly 2mph difference. ........RT, Have you ever spokin with Wayne Tripp? he told me he has gotten over 130 in his euro with the drag motor on it and a big cleaver. he also said it was very unstable. I'm gonna shoot for 125 with the summer air. my next attempt will be without the speedo dragging through the water. and my box a little leaner. right now my egt are only around 1000 -1050 at wot. my sportmaster is also bone stock except that I slightly sanded down some of the torque tab. I think at that speed there is too much pressure for the skeg. what do you think i should do with the gear case? seems to handle good. I'm not sure what to expect if I go any faster.

Sure I know Wayne, he has helped me with a few things in the past, (I am planning on building a drag, boat, but I need to get off my ass and wallet first (I have been lazy this year)). Anyhow, we made a few changes to the sportmaster, we removed some of the torque tab as you noted, removed 3/4 of an inch off the bottom of the skeg, removed the lower half of the blowout ring, and filled the passenger side water hold.

Be really careful slowing it down, they get a little spokey over 120 (not running, just slowing it down). When Roark designed the boat it was for roundy round, and the sponsons are SHARP, it helps a bit if you round them off with a file and reseal it with gel.

Good luck.

PS what is your motor as Wayne had close to 400hp, or that would be a good bet anyway.

RT, what changes were noted as each of the sportmaster mods were done?

Later...

I have the opportunity to try a fully modified sportmaster from greg over at screamandfly which is being built for his boat. we will compare both the stock and modified sportmasters on both boats, my euro and his light weight v-king. also I am setting up a camera from Onboard Camera in my euro to video tape my dash board. It should be interesting. It's planned for early sun. morn.  The video should be on the web next week sometime.

How/where do they cut 200lbs out of the boat?  Isn't this getting close to the minimum? I understand the minimum is to make sure someone isn't running a rice paper hull.