• 85-90
    • 90-95
    • 95-100
    • 100-105
    • 105-110
    • 110-115
    • 115-120
    • 120+

Techno, I have heard of STV's as light as 450lbs, I have seen (their is one in my garage right now) 54-550 lbs boats. They are thin, VERY THIN. You cannot ever stand on the side of the boat, for that matter you cannot even lean on it. The bottom of the boat was designed for drag racing (mod vp bottom), and has little in the way of lateral stiffness built in.

In short to make the boat light they have to remove materials, that would otherwise be in a std layup boat. Consider that std layup is more in the 725-775lb range it is a considerable reduction. (to be fair a little weight is lost in more exotic materials (kevlar, okume etc), and the lose of the interior)

Hope that helps

RT

Hey guys its been awhile since I've checked out the site, Looking Good,  STV Keith don't feel bad about your 3 seater Pro Comp I got mine running pretty decent with a 260hp turning a 14.5x32 cleaver @8550 gps reading 126mph, but then I get spanked by two of my buddy's with there 130+mph STV's.

Even though I don't go this fast its nice to see that the largest number on the poll is near the limit of the boat.

The majority is the fastest! Yee Haa!

Over time I expect this number to go up and the others to go down.  With all the experience and advice it should be relatively easy.  

The same poll done again in a year or so should have the groups moving up.

Just looked again and noticed that the lowest speed anyone is running is a larger group ( with no slower speeds) I'm willing to bet this group will move up since its seems to be set-up to get out of it.

Hey Pro Comp, thanks for the kind words.  I just can't imagine that the 260hp motor will go so much faster than my 240hp setup.  Now, I know the rev limiter I have is limiting me somewhat, but I just bought an A13 analog box without a limiter.

I'm hoping to try it next weekend, that's providing I can fix my sportmaster this week.  Something in the shift setup let go and it only has neutral and reverse.  A few people have said there is some linkage on the shift cam or something...I'm going to take it over to my friends' prop shop tomorrow evening and we're going to rip it open.  Kinda disappointing after just replacing the water pump and gear lube last week...but the water temp was down and pressure was up yesterday.

:D I'm on the lower scale of the speed pole. We have gotten over 90 with our 200 merc. I have yet to drive the boat by myself to see what it will do. so I think that there maybe another 3 to 4 miles an hour there. thats not to shabby out of a fishing motor!!!!

Hey Keith I think the 2.5 260's are putting out a lot more pony's than Mercury tag them with. Mine has 31cc heads, a spacer plate, Diamond tuner, and I recently hogged out the exhaust cavity myself, no porting on the block and no SVS, my Pro-Comp weigh's 1400lbs w/o me, so I don't think the motor is only making 260hp, but it sure get's my buddy's with there Drag motors pissed when I pull into Amoco and get that 93 octane $1.70 gas compared to there C-12 VP race fuel.

my computers been down for a few weeks but i did manage to reach 125mph on gps twice a few weekends ago. shooting on 130 now.  :D

Be Careful helm.....

I think you need to get an STV capsule boat for those speeds you want to go!!!

That's VERY VERY fast in a family STV

post-2-1030723498.jpg

Hydrovector, I think my 200 fishing motor has me in the low 90's as well.  What ya running for a prop?  I have a 29 SRX and a 30 Cleaver.

ProComp

ProComp,

running a box stock 28 merc chopperII.

I've tried a couple of other props but nothing worked any better than the chopper. there is always my and my wife in the boat so the extra lift seems to help it run good.

Pro Comp and Hydrovector,

What height are you guys running your fishing motors at. I have a 92 pro comp with a 2.4 fishin motor and have seen just over 94mph with a 28 mazco re3 and that was running it even with the bottom of the pad. My other prop is a 28 Hoss triton and the best I have seen with it is 91mph but was running it 1in below the pad. Now that I know better I'm going to start playing with the height because I think there is more left in her.john

STVBOY,

I have a land and sea jackplate so I can put the engine height any where I want. It seems to run good at 1" above the pad. I'm not pushing rpm's over 6500 because if the oil injection. I dont have a prop to keep it under that if I run by myself. so i'm sure there are a few more mph left to get.

STVBOY, 94 mph on what?  GPS?  If so, I think that is about it.  Very good for a 200 fishing motor.  I don't have a very good speedo or GPS so I am guessing my speeds at low 90's based on props and rpm.   I don't know my height for sure but will check this fall when I bring the boat home but I am pretty sure I am at least an 1" above.  I just kept raising it and getting more mph.  It starting getting air a little too often so I dropped it 1/4".  

ProComp

ProComp yes the 94 mph was on GPS.I was running my Mazco RE 3 28 even with the pad at 7200 rpm. After calculating it after the run that gives me 8% slippage which is not bad. I sure hope you are wrong about that being it. I'm hoping that there will be an improvement when I move it 1in above the pad.I'll keep you posted if there is any improvement.Thanks

John

STVBOY, do you have a lightweight flywheel on your motor?  7200 rpm...I am kind of surprised you can get that much rpm.  What is the diameter of your Mazco as I may have to go shopping.  I can only pull about 6200rpm with my 30 and around 6400 with my 29.

HEY Procomp

I still have the stock flywheel and the stock pistons with six steel sleeves in the motor. It has boyeson reeds and and L&S one piece exhaust and relieved and a bobs nose cone. The Mazco is a 14.5 .  JOHN

Guest SD MIKEY

Just got mine two weeks ago and I got it to 90 on gps this weekend.  260hp merc with 32cleaver prop and had more just thought it was fast enough for my second weekend out.

Sounds great MIKEY...

take your time bud and enjoy the seat time!!

Guest SD MIKEY

I was going like 80 and it was windy and I came up on some wakes from another boat and it seemed to get a little, well it seemed like it was walking, or maybe I should say it was fishtaling. I would call it head shake on a dirt bike. I dont know if those are the right words but what is the best thing to do?  Keep steady gas?  Gas it?  Back off the gas?

I got to run the Euro by my self down at Table Rock at Aquaholics place. We tried a bunch of different props for best speed. it worked out to be 93.1 on GPS at 6300 rpms with a 30 merc cleaver.

post-2-1054746115.jpg

YEP...that's real sweet for a 200 on a EURO...what is best is like 94% efficiency...That's right where it should be...and what can I say...30" Cleaver still the best whether its a 150 a 200 or a Hi-perf....

I think if you tried trimming in a bit you may touch the elusive 95 mark:)

Well, if my tach was right, I was also running 6300 rpm with my 2.4 200 fishing motor with a 14.5 x 30 cleaver as well.  

Good numbers for a motor that will put out a lot more hours than a perf motor.  Time will tell if my upgrade was worth it or not.

ProComp