Sign in to follow this  
Guest SD MIKEY

Steering?

Guest SD MIKEY

I have never driven any other STV, but my Euroski steering wheel is very hard to hold on to when going fast.  Is this normal?  I have to use 2 hands and I dont think my wife could hold on to the wheel if she were to try to drive it.  I have the standard steering with the 2 control cables.

Propellers have a lot to due with the steering torque. When I purchased mine I ran many props to see which ones ran the best. The first props I tried were SRX(DAH) and Mazco's RE3. You couldn't turn the wheel and mid to high speeds. Cleavers and the Merc ET props seem to offer the least steering torque. After that I converted over to the seastar pro hydraulic steering and glad I did, but would do so until you get that steering torque figured out to keep the "stresses" low on the steering system.

SD...

Yep something sounds amiss. Larry is right about the different props...an the amout of torque they feedback

A properly setup STV should have a minimul amount of torque at the wheel that is very managable.

What drive are you using, what height and is there a torque tab insatlled or factory applied??

Engine height will also change steering torque.  Anthony used to own my boat, and the torque wasn't bad where the height was set with a cleaver.  I put on a Mazco RE3 (round ear) and the torque was way up there.  Dropped the motor 3/4" and made all the difference in the world.

Guest SD MIKEY

Seemed to be the same with both chopper and cleaver.  I have a 95' merc 260hp.  The motor is about 1/2 inch above the transome mount, looks like its up one hole.  Taking it back out this weekend to see if the motor is fixed.

Guest SD MIKEY

Whats the best way to mix the oil/gas?  Some say to pour some oil in the tank then some gas then some oil then some gas.  Is this how everyone does it?

My goal is to add all the oil, one time to a quantity of gas. Then pump the rest of the gas in.

If the tank has enough gas in it then I just add the oil. If its kind of dry I would add some gas first.

With some gas in the tank the oil goes into it rather than sticking on the walls or sitting on the bottom. Pumping gas in helps mix it.

Someday I'm going to find out just how well the oil does mix with a test.

I run the Merc Hi Perf Synthetic oil at 40:1 for turning less than 7k.  I'd go to 32:1 for over 7k.

I mix mine with a big funnel at the gas station.  Slowly pour in the oil while pumping the gas from the pump.