Sign in to follow this  
Techno

Fuel tank size?

How big is your fuel tank?

I had to buy an aftermarket one and it has everything at the rear. 20 gallon tank.  Also do you have the problem of not being able to use almost all the gas?

I'm planning to tip mine slightly for getting it to the pickup.

Where do you get those mid fill/vent tanks?

I think my tank is a 28 gal one..One things for sure the installation needs improving...The "fill cap" is mounted on the rear of the boat just to the left of the motor and since the tank fills from the top it's difficult to get gas and oil to flow into it...almost an up hill flow situtation..As for gas pick-up I haven't run it that low...Anyone got any ideas as to how to improve the fueling procedure..ie flex funnel etc

Guest paulb

I use the stock 28 gallon tank in my modvp boat- I use the stock air vent and line to exhaust the fumes out the side-I blocked off the stock fuel fill- in its place I used a Jegs fuel cell cap- I placed the cap towards the front of the tank-quick and easy cap removal gives you a 4 inch hole to pour oil and fuel in- note the cap is vented-its easy to plug the vent- downside is you have to lift your rear fairing up- in my case I hate to walk on the deck so I do not mind moving the fairing out of the way- in a Euro the fairing/seat lifts up and a paddle is easy to use to hold it up-the rocket and procomp fairing needs to be hoisted up and moved to the front of the boat as mine does- in my opinion the large gas cap is the best way to go in terms of ease and preventing fuel and oil spillage.  heres a link to the jegs part I used

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin....nbr=361

thx.  paul b. :)

Thanks Paul..that''s a modification I'm going to make..I suppose you can just leave the existing filler and vent in place and add the 4" cap to the system

Guest RE EXITING FUEL FILL

IF YOU ARE RUNNING A MERC 2.5 HI PERF MOTOR-THE 16 AMP CHARGING SYSTEM ALWAYS REQUIRES CHARGING YOUR BATTERY- IN PLACE OF THE FUEL FILL ON THE BACK OF THE EURO WE PUT A PLUG( SHORE POWER OUTLET TYPE MADE BY MARINECO- FROM THERE YOU CAN RUN WIRES TO A GUEST 3 STAGE BATTERY CHARGER THAT HAS LEADS TO YOUR BATTERY- THERFORE YOU PLUG YOUR EXTENSION CHORD INTO A OUTLET AND THE OTHER END SIMPLEY PLUG INTO THE MARINCO PLUG THAT IS HARDWIRED TO THE GUEST CHARGER- LOOKS NEAT AND IS VERY PRACTICAL AS YOU CAN CHARGE YOUR BATTERY ANYWHERE ASSUMING YOU HAVE AN EXTENSION CORD ON BOARD AND A POWER SUPPLY NEAR BY- WWW.OVERTONS.COM PART #34531 FOR THE PLUG-CHARGER #37579 -NOTE THE CHARGE THAT OVERTONS SELLS IS FOR 2 BATTERIES THERE IS A SINGLE CHARGER BY GUEST AS WELL- MOST ONLINE BOATING RETAILERS SELL IT- THE GUEST CHARGER IS THE REAL DEAL- 6 AMP CHARGER THAT MONITORS THE BATTERY- MAKES RUNNING A 2.5 VERY EASY- AS A PROPERLY CHARGED BATTERY IS CRUCIAL TO A 2.5

THX.  PAUL :)

X-Cellent posts guys...do me a favour and post some pics of these great mods!!! :D

Guest neily1

great ideas paul. can you install the 4" fill cap without removing the tank and emptying it? also will the inlet plug on the charger fit in the gas tank fill without modification?

thanks

neil :D

the marinco plug will cover the hole that is drilled for the fill fitting-however the three screws used to screw the fitting to the boat will not be covered completely- we had a bezel made for the marico plug-any machine shop can make one-we payed $50 for the custom piece-modeled it after any common bezel sold- can't remember the sizing off hand- as far as the jegs fuel fill you will have to empty the tank-removal is optional but will make it easier in the end-I used a jig saw to cut the hole- the hole is big enough to put a small hand in(thx. RT) to vaccum the shaving out and screw the nuts on, as they are screwed from the inside- the jegs unit is complete and is easy to install- note on cutting the hole.- towards the front is obviously the place to cut but the tank has a seem on it- I would suggest picking a side and not cutting through the seem-not a good seal for the gasket- on my tank, if you are looking straight down on it from the front,  I cut it in front of the existing fill, on the left side of the tank-  my seem was closer to the right side of the tank- I have a season on my install and it has worked flawless-the factory unit seems to burp and fart fuel out no matter what stv you have and we have them all covered up here- as far as the plug, my modvp boat did not have a external fuel fill so I cut a hole betwwen the trim lines in the back of the boat- the euro looks trick with the custom bezel and placement in the fuel fill hole-you can leave the fuel fill in place and place the marinco plug where I have it or where you see fit- in fact the guest charger can be plugged in directly-I hard wired mine for ease and looks

thx.  paul

thx.  paul :)

It's hard to believe but from the pics at Triad's plant they are still cranking out boats with this highly impractical fueling system..I guess no one want's to alter the mold..I also suspect they have never had to fuel one of their creations while it was in the water...Not to mention the polution involved..I found (through a race car mfg. friend of mine) that a 4" flush cap can be added to the tank for around $35...They call them fuel cells and like Paul has stated its no real challange to install and it will make fueling super easier and cleaner...As for the batt. charger the single batt. charge unit (built in and hard wired) sells down here at most discount stores for $60 to $70 so none of these mods will break anyone.. :D

Any pict of this monster fuel fill? Wondering what it looks like.

For the Triad thing I'm pretty sure it's against the law( for builders) to have a fuel fill inside your boat or placed so fuel can run into it. Thats probably why they don't put them on the tank. If the CG stopped you I don't know how this shakes out. Mine is placed so it could spill into the boat, but this is only when its level on the trailer. On the water it would spill off of it, torwards the transom.

For the danger of refilling a boat.  A boat on the river was being taken out for a sale cruise, the owner re-fueled it and started the engine. He was below decks ( big boat) and the boat blew up, literaly. He was blown through the side while the buyer-passengers above deck were blown off of it.  All lived with no injuries, other than a no-sale. There was no boat to sink.

Paul refers to a web site with picx of the fuel cell 4" fill system...I suppose there are legal questions re: fueling if you're a boat mfg. which is why the stv system exists...I plan to leave the factory system in place and simply add the fuel cell cap under the cowling for ease of adding oil and gas...the vent and factory fuel cap will remain in place..Don't need a closed unvented compartment for the reasons Techno relates to...

quick note on he charger- I did my home work on them and they are not all equal in there ability to charger- alot of the cheaper ones sell for 20-50$ but put out no more than 1.5 amps- the guest unit is a 6 amp quick charge and decreases on its own with a internal shut off at full charge- as well the unit has greem and red lighting to identify what stage it is in as well as a battery trouble shooting guide to determine if your battery is f*&%- as far as the fuel fill in the boat- the factory vent through the side of the boat via the 5/8 hose should not be messed with-as for the factory fuel fill-it must be properly blocked off- with a plug and a clamp- the jegs after market unit has all the gaskets for a proper install- if you fallow all the common sence procedures for fuel filling you and your guests will not be ejected unexpectantly-the jegs unit has a process to closing it- a tab must be turned and pushed down- there is no mistake once it is closed- I in no way own stock in these company's just think the products make boating a lot easier and more pleasurable- as a note Wally at STV will install just about anything-they are custom boats and he has a base he starts with- the list of options is endless-just remeber that there is a charge.

thx.  paul b.

The charger I picked up was a single batt. 6 amp Guest charger...I think the price was $69 plus tax...By the way..why does the factory fuel fill have to be closed..I understand leaving the vent but I had decided to leave the fuel fill line as well...

jj

We were just talking about an alternate fuel cap being installed on the fuel tank (or cell)..jegs is one type of cap and there are others...If your picture is of a fuel cap installed on the tank then that's what we're talking about...The factory fueling system sucks...Having to fuel and oil through a system that's almost up-hill takes some effort not to mention spilage etc...Adapting an alternate system to the fuel tank makes fueling and adding oil much cleaner and easier..as long as the vents are in place I see nothing wrong with the change...

Cheers

jj

With no place to put mine I ended up putting it directly over the tanks fuel fill. I used rex marines SS flip top.  Just makes it the 2 nipples almost touch with maybe 6-8" of hose joining them.

I can see why you would want to change if the fill is next to the tank.