AnthonySS

READER RIDES

Hey Dreamer...I know Anthony used to run a 30" Cleaver for his top end stuff.  I bought his old boat.  I've run a 29 Mazco RE-3 and like that for all-around use, but think I need more prop for top end (like a 32).  For just bumming around, especially with people in the boat, I have run a 24 chopper.  Good bow lift with weight in the boat.

I just picked up a 27 RE-3 Mazco for 1-2 up, light load playing around.  Still give a theoretical 103mph at 8000, but better acceleration than a bigger wheel.

Big wheels just seem to be for high top end speeds..not much good for playing around..I think a 26 or 27 yamaha drag or something like it will be better for fun..The smaller props are good out of the hole and will pin you to the seat..after all you can't run 90+ all the time..I have a 29 mazco and a 31 cleaver and they are a little sluggish (if an STV can be sluggish) but once strung out they really get up and go

Just my .02

TY guys. I'm scaring myself cuz I really don't know crap....YET. Gonna post in prop. section if anyone has any of the above for sale....be gentle as I have to convert from the powerful Canuk Buck!!!

Keith...hows the rebuild comming along?

Dreamer

I can appreciate you guys that like those smaller wheels for neck-snapping punch etc.

But here is why I prefer Taller wheels too.

Its called Efficiency and fuel economy...like having highway gears in your muscle car.

Seriously...one of the nice things about the STV is you can play all day with a bigger wheel depending, on your power of course.

Dreamer with your 240 hp...I think a 30" wheel will serve you good. I have an "award winning" blueprint for a 30" Merc Cleaver that I have let many duplicate with excellent results on  STVs Streams and even a Stoker.

I have used smaller wheels for Drags and roundy stuff...but I love the way a cleaver works for all day boating. Seems like the best compromise prop for the conditions we face in Ontario too!!!

HEY Keith I remember your Dad was quite impressed how the 30 Cleaver worked on our boat!!!

One day I used a 24" ET thinking like some said I might be cruising mostly under 80 most of the day...well by comparison to the 30...it sucked and sucked a ton of fuel too.

Just my experiences guys!!!

DREAMER...we have an excellent prop guy in Harold Stuart  at John's Marineland in Markham. He actually has my cracked Cleaver in his shop rite now...chances are ...we can badd aid the prop for a few passes for you!!!

Picture of my 30 Cleaver.

HEYS guys...seems like we have a lot of new STV owners this past year.

If I put on a clinic...would any of you attend. My lake is about 3 hrs from most US borders into Ontario.

I think it would be fun !!!!

post-3-1039529250.jpg

That prop looks a lot like the one I was running last sat..Mine is a 31 and runs well..good hole shot and 'get up an go'..just takes a while to really stretch out..as for fuel econ....well when your hobby is race boats and horsepower I don't think a gallon of gas here or there is gonna matter

Just my .02 for what it's worth

Cheers

I really like my 29 for all around use (actually, that's what Roark told my dad was the all-around prop for an STV - which is why I have one).  It's got good acceleration and great top end, plus cruise is easy.  60mph at like 5500rpm.

Most of the things I do around here are 100mph or less, so with an 8000rpm limit (self imposed), a 26 or 27 will work well, plus have better acceleration.  The big wheels are for the days when the water is nice, no one is out and it's just me.  The big water lakes here can get bumpy, and it's hard to find time when there aren't a bunch of 36 footers out there stirring it up.

I guess it's hard to really know till I try a few. The boat doesn't have a jackplate on it and I'm not sure if I will get one....was told that with a plate there is more chance I'll run it out of water and cook it, but let me tell ya its acary how close the engine trims to that cowl. I know this a go fast sport but with NO seat time or experience maybe I should keep the set up modest.....any opinions/recommendations re: jacks!

Anthony...sign me up. Keep in mind I'm on a decent lake that's close if there is any interest in a season opener for the locals.

Dreamer

The chat is good but we need pics too.

I was thinking we should do a thread on props....pics of all your props and another on motors....cowlings, under the cowl shots of your power and if there are any extras....maybe even just running. What do you guys think....I'd like to see who's got what!

Dreamer

STVdreamer, mine has a jack plate on it and it runs good with it.  If you can get a hold of a 29 SRX give it a try.  I love mine and they are less expensive than other props.

Check with Yammer as he had one for sale.  If you send me your email address I can get you in touch with him.  I have tried several including a 30 cleaver I bought for top end.  The cleaver is brutal with two people in the boat.  The 29 runs strong with 1-4 people with only a few mile per hour less on top end.  A friend of mine runs a 29 Mazco on his Euro and it rocks with 1-4 people in it as well.  Cleaver = 1 person and top end.  That is it.  I got beat by a vector one day while running my cleaver with a fairly big guy next to me.  Would of killed him with my SRX.

ProComp

While I agree with Keith re: running top end while the water isn't crowded, I would not make it a habit running alone..Just ask Ro Yale...If something happens you might need someone around..I would not run alone for safety reasons..

Hey PC..that Vector must have been cooking..My boat ran 95+ last sat. with 3 people in it..(two large ones) and I had a 31 cleaver on it..Maybe you need some new plugs...lol

While I agree with Keith re: running top end while the water isn't crowded, I would not make it a habit running alone...

I didnt' mean without other boats around, I meant without other passengers.

I've also got a helmet being painted to match the boat, and a Lifeline jacket in my colors too - even have the STV Logo going on the back!  Safety is a concern.

I use SRP jacket in royal blue...shoei full face helmet for speed..without helmet I wear ski glasses (goggels)..One things for sure..when or if you get out of the boat you're gonna need the jacket...either srp or lifeline..these ski and fishing things are not designed for much speed protection and don't put you 'head back' in the water

JJ, I wish it just needed plugs.  It needs a heart transplant.  Hope to perform surgury in the spring with a much larger heart.  Hope that money tree I planted this past fall grows in the spring!

ProComp

post-3-1039569969.jpg

I tucked it away for the winter today in its heated space and crawled around the boat a little bit and found a few things of interest. Anyone else have tunes or a cigarette lighter?? hey that means I could plug in my laptop and pop in here while out on the lake..............cool.LOL

attached image

post-3-1039576584.jpg

Is this gizmo standard on the PC or high cowl models...if the engine is trimmed too high it pushes on this switch and sound a buzzer to alert driver its touching cowl (little hexagon in centre of arch). If these things are standard pls forgive me.....I can't actually do anything with this rig but look it over till ...........THAWWW.

attached image

post-3-1039577200.jpg

Dont have any use for a lighter..can't hear tunes with the boat running so use for a radio...as for the cost of a lifeline..they don't give those things away..I bought a SRP (security race products) online..cost was $440 USD..you download the order blank..fill in the measurments and answer the other questions and send it to them..My jacket is a Pro Outboard with inpact panels with no tail...I think this cost is if ordered before 12/21 but you can check with Tracy at SRP.....www.SRPRACE@aol.com