Sign in to follow this  
mikej

rigging your ride

I am in the process of putting a new motor on my boat. I have a few questions.... All my cables come off the drivers side.... I think there is to much s#@t comming out of one hole. I would like to see how you have rigged your stv. I am looking for pics from the backside

Guest sd mikey

The blue one is mine.  I would like to change my rigging to the 2 big lines like the orange/purple boat (posted above mine).  Any ideas on how to do it?  Do I need new cables that are longer?  

By the way where do you get the pics?  Just woundering?

SD Mikey

Must stand for san deigo ?..I got the pics from the prior owner in arizona when I was thinking of buying the rig..assume that's where you got the boat..I've heard that there were some motor problems after your purchase..anyway I was looking at 3 boats..one in Phoenix...one in Miami...and one in Chicago..all 3 were 1200 miles away..I had decided on arizona but you had already bought it..I then chose florida and then someone beat me to that one...I wound up with chicago..a blue and white river rocket and now I'm glad I did..It's a great boat..but then I guess they all are

cheers

post-1-1040912411.jpg

Guest SD MIKEY

San Diego you got it.  Yeah, he didnt say anything about it I had a friend drive out and go for a test ride and it would only do 67mph.  He tried to say it just needed new plugs and fresh gas, so I did that.  Didn't work, turned out it had clogged injectors.  Had them cleaned and it runs like new.  I want a cover, bimini, and a motor support bracket.  Any ideas on where to get them?

the bimini would be a custom piece-the cover can be bought from Wally at Triad as I donot think anyone makes them-there are quite a few custom shops that could do it,but they would not be better priced than wally's product- as for the motor support bracket-I assume a manual lift is what your looking for- A S@F posting in the parts needed section should help- CMC makes a nice piece if your going new-look under

http://www.cook-mfg.com/

thx.  paul b.

Guest SD MIKEY

Cool, thanks!  How fast could a guy go with a bimini up?  Seems like  only 60mph or so.

The motor support is the one that goes between the trailer and the bottom of the shaft.  Dont they help keep the weight off the transom?

It's called a 'Transom Saver'...I use one on my allison because the motor is so far back that it drags going over bumps etc..Have to trim it up so I set it on the transom saver when going down the road...The STV wont drag so I don't use the saver..Don't think you need one if the motor don't drag and you can trailer with it trimed down...Just my .02....BTW we had this discussion over on the allison owners page a few months back and that bunch was about split 50 / 50 as to using or not using transom savers...

Theres a thread on this site too.

I still think the transom savers make a diff. You have 400 lbs hanging off the back of the boat. If mounted on a plate then the 400lbs is multiplied by the set back. Whether they save the transom??? but it seems like it reduces the strain by quite a bit.

Probably the most important are time to splash, road smoothness and how well the trailer absorbes bounces. If these are all low then there isn't much stresssing it.