Sign in to follow this  
Techno

2 fuel tank qwestons

For the large after market fixture that was added to the tank- How is the inside ring held in place for bolting on the top plate?

I'm going to do this and probably use 2 flat head screws to hold the tapped-inside the tank ring in place then bolt the finish plate on. Wondering if there is an easier way to hold this tapped inner ring in place.

Adding this plate eliminates several problems I have. Fuel return, vent location and auxillery.

My present vent location is at the back and vents fuel when sitting on the trailer tilted. Heat expands the fuel during the day and pumps it overboard. Not nice.

2:

How many gallons does your tank hold and is it enough? If you had a choice, how many gallons would you like to carry?

considering adding a 2nd tank and need to know approximate size to make the mount for it. Then I can add the tank at a later time if needed without messing up the interior.

2nd tank would mean I could carry extra fuel or not. The present 20 gallon tank is about all I can fit in the center area-between the knees and bulkhead location. The 20 gallons isn't completely used, tank shape and reserve fuel. So I don't really have 20 gallons.

2nd tank would be placed port side to counter my weight.

Large after market fixture? I assume you are talking about a fuel cell filler cap? If so here's a pic of mine..The inner ring/seal is held in place by 6 bolts..I cut a 4" hole in the cell and drilled the other 6..Had to drain the tank and place a piece of cloth in the bottom so as to catch all the drill shavings..I also find that the stock fuel cell (I think 20 gals) is enough..I can carry a couple of 6 gal containers in the truck since with this added fuel cap adding gas is (now) not a problem...

post-1-1050699538.jpg

Just realized you reached through the fill to hold the ring in place.  

Or is it fastened seperately?

The thing I'm adding is a plate with fittings on it so I have to bolt it on without access to the inside of the tank.

So you do have the need for about 32 gallons even if it is rare?

Where we normally run it would be rare to need 32 gal...If on a lake or river with marinas I could gas up at the marina (now that I have the fill cap)..I can see the need for more ie: poker runs / overnite stays etc etc...Most of the guys who carry the re-fill cans are burning race fuel..actually I normally run about 15 gal in the cell..not full

BTW..yes I reached through the hole to hold the ring in place

Kurt..

Mine is a 'jegs' cap..You can most likely look them up on the net..It's very simple to install and as you can see in the photo I left the factory system in place for venting..I don't know how anyone can fuel with the factory system like mine has

Ordered mine Saturday. 39.99 FREE SHIPPING to Ill. But ####  they did'nt forget the HANDLING CHARGE of 8.99. What can you do? Thanks again for the info jjones. Kurt

No shipping but handling charges were applied..such a deal but as you say..what can you do...As I recall we located the fill cap on the fuel cell..drew an outline on it and then drilled a small pilot hole for a starting point..used a pair of tin shears (like the HVAC people use) to cut the 4" hole..We also disconnected the fuel line from the motor and used the electric fuel pump to empty the fuel cell..Put a towel down in the bottom of the cell to catch the drill shavings (there were not a lot) from the 6 holes..Held the inner ring in place by reaching through the 4" hole and bolted the outer piece on..