Sign in to follow this  
STV_Keith

Pro Comp Transom Problems

Anyone else experienced any problems with a Pro Comp transom?  It appears that my transom is pulling away from the knee brace on the port side at the top.  From the inside, I can feel where the glass is pulling apart, and from the outside, you can see where the deck/hull joint is cracked about 1/2 way across the transom joint and bowing out on the port side.  It's now even started to crack the gel on the deck.  I'll try to get pics up this week.

Anyone else experieced problems like this?

What year make is it...My boat is a 96 and was likely not built by Summerford..I have experienced some de-lamination on the bottom and the boat is now in the shop...a lot of carbon fiber and glass work to correct the problem...Having other things done to it but it appears whoever did the original layup let different layers dry and as a result the other layers did not bond..We cut out some of the interior decking to get to the problem and 'fix' it right..I'm lucky to live in an area where one of the best carbon fiber / glass expert lives..Anyway the transom on mine seems to be OK and I haven't found any other problems

Thought maybe it was a mfg. problem but since your's was put togerher by Summerford It should have been done right..Maybe Anthony or Techno will have some insight into this problem

Another.  This is from the inside looking out...the bright spot is SUNLIGHT coming through the crack in the transom!

post-2-1052186470.jpg

Not sure why that happened but would suggest you put plates on the inside between the bolts after the repairs. On mine I made 2 out of aluminum about 2 inches tall by 3/8" thick across the top and lower mounting bolts. Is it possible the top cap is flexing and not the transom?

KEITH...that really sucks...but your not alone. The problem is one that shows up on ProComps from time to time...

Look at the pic below...looks to #### familiar.

I think ProComp sent this to me some time ago. He may know whos boat it is!

post-2-1052226235.jpg

Not sure why that happened but would suggest you put plates on the inside between the bolts after the repairs. On mine I made 2 out of aluminum about 2 inches tall by 3/8" thick across the top and lower mounting bolts. Is it possible the top cap is flexing and not the transom?

Well, the transom has backing plates in it now for the motor mount (well, jack plate mount) bolts, but we're gonna build a new one that does that, then drops down and goes forward on the knee braces.  That should allow us to pull it back together, then get a glass guy to seal it up.

I hope that don't happen to mine, I painted that area already!

I thinks I'll be adding more glass just to be sure.

I don't know how the transoms put together but wonder if it's just fatigue, the kind where you flex a part back and forth enough times?

Hey guys. Sorry about your transom Keith. I'm sure you'll get it fixed soon.

I wanted to throw out this idea. I think more STVs have cracks on the transom than people think. They are not all bad though. Some are structural and some are mostly cosmetic from flexing of the gelcoat until it cracks. You probably all read that "discussion" we had about my newly aquired Euro about a month and a half ago. My transom has cracks in the gel and it looks like someone did some glass work in there. Other than that it looks really strong. BUT since someone voiced concerns about its strength, I built a reinforcement plate. I'll post pictures.

I know of two other Euros that have transom cracks. One I think was just gel coat and I don't have any idea about the other because I have never seen it. The first was for sale and the second one I don't think the owner wants people to know. I think that people don't want to talk about their transom problems. Thats why we don't hear much about it on STVs. I probably wouldn't have said anything in this thread except that you all know what was said about my boat already.

I think that STVs are excellently built boats but we do have to remember that we are running them over 100 ususally. Thats extremely fast! Plus some of the boats are over 10 years old with lots of fast running on them. Also, some people are running 6" of setback. That MIGHT agrivate the problem. Who knows, maybe another argument for no setback at all.

Sorry to ramble. These are just some thoughts that I had. I am in no way an expert. I'm actually a newbie owner so take it with a grain of salt!

Adam

post-2-1052321616.jpg

Here is the transom brace that I built. Its 11 guage steel. Not the lightest but... This picture was just a test fitting. There are four stainless bolts on each side that go through the transom knees. The jackplate bolts go through this plate, thought the transom and then the jackplate bolts on. I think that the bolts are 7/16" with 2" fender washers.

Adam

post-2-1052322055.jpg

ADAM,

Your comments and photos are appreciated by me.

THANKS for sharing

I have the same cracks at the corners of  the transom on my Euro too. they don't seem to effect the boat and don't flex any. I just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get any bigger.

call me an idiot but how does setback relate to forces on a transom?? I would think that it would just work like a lever when accelerating but what about those who really push their boats in the turns???

I used to think the upper bolts were in tension and the lowers in compression. Then one day I realized that the OB turns so puts the inboard in tension and the outboard in compression. All the bolts are loaded & unloaded and a jackplate just makes it worse.