Sign in to follow this  
Guest STV Bob K

Drag Race Euro

Guest STV Bob K

I would be interested in seeing pictures of whale tails used on a Mercury 2.5L.   I have seen one that Wally makes.  I have never seen his attached.  Are there many versions used?   ???

the plaining plate that wally makes would be used in conjunction with the bottom mods that he does at an addition charge. his mounts just above the centre drain plug- nice piece- probably not may copies out there as wally himself probably does not sell many- as for anything monted to the motor itself-there are a few options-wasn't aware Wally makes anything.

thx.  paul :)

I think that I saved this picture off of S&F and it is named "triad cavitation plate". Don't know if I named it that or if it was already named that.

I seem to remember that another STV owner said that these plates can cause the nose of an STV to possibly stuff. Something about how they trip the rear of the boat over some wakes and cause it to nose down?????? Not sure on that. Big help I am.....

Adam

post-2-1053148218.jpg

Also, as a similar topic, does anyone have experience with these transom plates? I think that they originated on Allisons but I'm not sure. What do they do? Are they worth it? Details?

Here are a couple of pics on STVs.

Adam

post-2-1053148411.jpg

Hey Blue..

I think Casey over on the byuboyz site runs one of those motor mount cav plates on his Triad...Gets you out of the hole quick when drag racin' but is not in the water after you're up and runnin'...as for the stv pad plates it seems that those running 'set backs' could use those...for the same reason..I've never seen the reason for a 'set back' on the stv since it's already built in..guess if you have a jack system on the boat it's necessary..just my .02

I think a part of those plates are in the water.  Consider the angle of attack and the rise of water from the hull. Not so much in the water as being hit by it.

Rise of water from the hull??

There ain't much boat in the water to cause a 'rise'...Casey's motor mounted cav plate runs high and dry when racing..once out of the hole it's well above the water line

I think there is more than it seems. Anyway the thing that gets me to wondering is why the pod is angled away when the plate could have been incorporated into the transom.

Is this plate only to shroud the jackplate?

The part I am looking at is mounted to the lower unit of the motor..above the nosecone and on the cavitation plate..also a deflection plate under the jack..am told this makes for a much better holeshot..Wally makes these over at Triad..This one is on a Triad ski boat that Casey races in the various outboard drags around the southern state area..anyway STV Bob wanted to see one attached so there it is

I'm looking at the transom plate.  The picts that bluelixer posted show it best.  The pod angles up away from the plate. Since wally is building the boats why angle the transom away and then bolt on a chunk of metal to un-angle it?  Just wondering why put a plate on a boat that you build?

Seems that it would be an even better thing if it were enclosed.