Sign in to follow this  
Techno

Props and numbers

For anyone who has the numbers I think it would be interesting to see the prop your running (make, dia., pitch, type) and the speed/rpm/slip your getting.  HP might be a help to catagorize them a bit.

This could be usefull for others prop buying and even those who may have results different than others with basicly the same set up.

Maybe all round performance too?

The prop poll showed the dominant prop but this doesn't nessecarly means it's the best, just that most have it.

Cool Idea Tech...

My Favorite Wheel with 2.4 EFI B/P (240 hp) on PCS:

14.5" x 30" Merc lab Cleaver

RPM with two up in short runs 7000, slip = 13%, speed = 96

RPM with two up in Long Runs 7300, slip = 7 %, speed = 106

The reason I spec'd long and short runs is that the STV efficiency will improve a great deal on long runs...see if you can get a Straight stretch where you can drive WOT for like 5+ miles...it pretty nervey but pretty cool!!!

REMEMBER all this calculation stuff is NOT exacting science either...just a lot of fun and offers up some bench marks

post-2-1053447169.jpg

BRAD....sorry I have to chuckle...at your question...years ago it used to be...is that on Radar?? Now its...well you know:)

Years ago I wrote an article called ..."your numbers have to add up" expressing getting tired of answering the question "IS that on Radar?"

The bottom line in the article is..."The Real Proof is on the Water" when you go boating with your fast company...not the GPS reading or Radar reading you got when you where by yourself.

For the record ...the 96 was on GPS and the 106 was NOT....but when you run around with your 105 and 110 mph buds and your faster then the 105 and slightly slower then the 110....your proof was on the water and your numbers have added up!!!!

ALSO I would challenge any STV owners to find a good stretch of water and stand on if for 5 miles or more. If your like me, you will have a little nerve in doing this and find yourself backing off slightly, casue everything just feels to smooth....and the thought of that coming to a halt abruptly enters your mind for instances too...THAT keeps you on your toes somedays and ALIVE too....but watch the speed build with NO RPM increase and it will FREAK YOU!!!!

BUT remember Be CAREFUL,  cause just lerking in the distance is that Mystery wave too and it comes apoun you so fast at 100+.

post-2-1053522924.jpg

I ran the first leg of the muskoka poker run a few years ago from New Ark to Gravenhurst at well over 110, with 3 other boats (Blake, Jay, Eugene).....approx 12 miles.

ROB,

When we come out of the mouth of the Otonabee River onto Rice Lake and head for Emlhirst's resort at Keene, its about a 8-10 mile run...That's where we let em rip, if the conditions are favouring us....you get there real quick at 100+ (about 5 minutes)

I agree the stretch run  too Gravenhurst is also cool and I think I remember that year and not being to far behind you guys in my slow 100mph STV!!

I have the room as long as the lake is agreeable. Thats what I want to do is open it up for some distance. The fuel tank and me are the limiting items.

Also the reason I want to put a resistor on my down trim, I don't like the way it trims in under speed. A tap and a large response. I want to be able to actuate the down trim and stop where I want it.  Not a guestimate tap.

There is going to be a normal down trim too.

On the speed poll there are 7 people who claim to be going over 120.

All together 12 going over 110.

Don't you know what prop your using to do this?

I would like to take the shortcut of experience rather than bucks to find the right prop.