Sign in to follow this  
STV dreamer

Motor height???? need HELP

Hey guys....just need some input on raising my motor up a notch. Some of you know where it is now and recommended raising to max height for better control and a bit more power. But, my mechanic said its too high and I'm gonna get lower water pressure and risk hanging it out too much...causing powerhead damage. Also said prop will be running out of water.

I like this guy cuz he treats me fair and gets my toys in/out real fast...but some of you have years experience with STV's and peak performance so I ask for your input please.

I'd like to go a wee bit faster but at same time I'm not into redoing a cooked motor. THANKS.

RICH...you be fine...

THATS why the CLE has a Low Water Pickup (LWP). Don't forget that your boat was designed around that specific motor and gearcase too. Another 3/4" up won't hurt anything. Its recommended.

Heck some of have run up to an 1 3/4" up and have had tons of cooling.

Not sure who your wrench is...but he sure don't know STVs...not many do. Anyway if he won't do it for you, cause he is skeered he may be liable..., we can do it for you.

Hey Rich ..... as Anthony said

" If he is not a Hi-po guy then you cant listen to what is said from him about your boat's set-up"

A guy like that will only cause you unjustified problems and worries for you.

Most run theirs at that height or higher ( me !! )

Jeff

You should find the "happy" spot any where from 1" to 1 3/8" above the pad and shouldn't have water pressure problems. MY water pressure with a sportmaster ranges from about 20psi at 1" to 15psi at 1 1/38" up. Now my theory on how high to go is dependent on how much you weigh along with ow much weight is in the front. I think if you are a bit heavy then the best will be lower as I think as the added weight of the driver pushes the hull down in the front thus the lower unit runs higher because everthing pivots on the transom. Now with less weight the hull flyies higher and lower unit then must be raised. That's my 2 cents. Now if it would only stop raining so I can make my first run this year.... YIKES!

Thanks! Told him I wanted it done and it will be up for this weekend. Was at shop due to a small salad blocking the cooling....and some mud in pickups.

Yes, I agree with you guys and look forward to feeling the difference.....I can smell 100 already.LOL

Larry.....buddy...you gotta be kidding! no seat time for '03. That wreaks bigtime. Better weather has to come your way.

Thanks again gents.

SOUNDS GREAT Rich...didn't mean to sound harsh about your wrench and all...

YEP get used to getting that "Salad" and muck out of your pickups :D

Just thought I'd let you know the results of raising motor were pretty good. The best speed w/28 copy 2up was 93.2 on GPS and 94.4 solo @ appx 7000rpm. Prior 2 up speed was 86-87. The 32 top speed only appeared to come up solo from 94.6 to 96.8. again @ 7000 rpm. So all in all much better allround.

BUT, I was told this setup is capable of 103-107....maybe not eh! I've been spewing off at the mouth it will easily pull 100+ MPH and if I can't see those numbers I might be eating alot of crow. Should I be looking for a 2.5? other prop?

NO...look at more seat time :D

Anyone can make an stv go 100+ with a 2.5.

I'm not sure anyone could make it go 100 with a 2.5 but I do agree with Anthony that seat time is key...like an old test I remember.  MOD VP boat of Rusty Campbell's, the testers did 91 mph (or something like that) and Rusty pulled off a 109 with same setup, prop and day.  Seat Time!

Seat time, Seat time, Seat time, Seat time, Seat time, that's what it's all about. The first summer I had mine I went from low 90's in the spring to over 100 by the end of summer. And it wasn't until the end of the 2nd year I felt comfortable running 100. I found the best way to learn and try driving my STV was in the 50-80mph zone. This gives you time to play with boat wakes, different water conditions, etc. 4 years later and I still consider myself a novice and can't wait to get to the Rumble to see how a pro drives a STV! ANyone want to show me!

OK...correction....

Even JAMIE could make an STV go over a 100 with a 2.5 :D ...just ribbing you of course!!!

I think the First time I took mine out I went 92 with a low motor....by the end of the season....96-97...then almost a full year later...103 ish with 2.4 power.

Anyway...I also find I don't get my best speeds till the fall when conditions are ideal and when most lake traffic is gone....and you usually need more room with the less power you have.