Sign in to follow this  
luvfastboats

what should my next prop be?

I just got a 1990 ProComp Ski. It came with a 96 2.5 260/CLE. It also came with a R&R 24 yammi copy, somebodies copy of a 26 Lightning ET and a mazco 30 re3. from another boat/motor combo i have a spinnelli 32 cleaver. All are 3 blade.

I use the boat for lake running and am primarily interested in good holeshot and mid range punch. It's too crowded around here for safe top speed runs (lake lice infestations) so i'm not trying to sqeeze the last couple of MPH out of the boat. I don't want to turn much over 7500-8000 cuz i'm not a mercury mechanic and engine service life is an issue.

i was thinking of a 30 lightning or a merc 30 cleaver but am open to other ideas.  any comments or suggestions?

luvfastboats

dan

DAN...yep you said it already...

14.5"x 30" Merc Cleaver and ET....

The STV is already good at hole shot and they are second to none in the midrange...those props will compliment those aspects of the hull.

Aha wise ones. I can't afford both, well i could but then i'd probably end up a single guy with no boat. So which one should i get the cleaver or the ET? There's a 30 ET over on s&f if thats the way more experienced STVers think would be best for my application.

dan

My Mercury 28ET goes straight to 7800rpm(limiter) at 102mph! Once you try a REAL ET you will understand why everyone wants one! The ET also carries the hull better when just crusing around in the sub 60mph zone compared to the cleaver.

Thanks so very much guys. I wish i could afford both but it looks like i'm gonna start looking for an et. Is there any pitch that works best on a procomp ski. I have a 26 and hit my self imposed rev limit with a ton of motor left. Both jjones2 and euroski are running 28's but there's a good looking 30 FS on S&F. Do you guys think a 30 would be to much prop? what would i lose/gain with the additional pitch? or should i just try to find a 28?

thanks so much

dan

The ETs I run (a 26 / a 28 / a 29) are clones made by one of the members of this board (Aquaholic)...These props actually perform like a higher pitch prop ie the 28 is more like a 30..I don't know if the real thing has such a trait so maybe a 30 is what you're looking for..I can run my 28 to the limiter but don't think there is much more I could do if I raised the RPM to run above 7600..maybe it would go to 8000..don't know

I'm thinking that the 30 ET would perform very close to your Mazco 30 so you'd probably be wasting your money.  I have a ProComp with a 245 Carb.  I really like my 29 SRX however it is a pain to swap between this prop and merc props due to having to change the thrust washer.  As you have so many props already I wouldn't recommend you getting one.

I agree, add a 28ET and keep the 32 cleaver for top end or trade it for a 30.  Can you pull the 32?  Personally, I would have no use for the 24.

I have a 30 cleaver and it is a great top end prop but its not the best for daily cruizin.   I think I am going to add a 27 SRX to my collection.

If I was starting from scratch, I would have a 26ET, 28ET and a 30 Cleaver.  

ProComp

I'll go against the grain here and say go for a 30 Merc Cleaver :)

Iv'e run that on as little as 150HP on a STV and it was great all around...

Don't get me wrong I use ET's too!!

Anthony, haven't tried the cleaver now that I have a 2.5 but I use to loose 5 mph when I added a second person in the boat when I had my 200 on the boat and acceleration really fell off compared to the SRX.

ProComp

BRAD...yes when I used to run a 150, add a second person and it would take a long time to get thru the bounce with the 30 Cleaver

Ok, I'll add a 28 ET to my collection. Now who's got one for sale?

Anybody need a 24 yammi copy?

dan

areostar..interesting prop..I see all their testimonials only involve speeds up to 50 or so...Don't think I would consider one of these with all those 'parts' for speeds such as we generate..

There are a few who have used them and swear by them. High speeds like we do.

Also I E-mailed them about having cleavers.

They answered they just sold 2 to a couger? and eliminated his hole shot problem. Twins.

They don't warrantee surfacing applications but most props aren't warranteed for this anyway.

But at $1600 each :0  I think I will just keep what I have.

4 x $400 props and your there!  No prop changing. Only need to sell what you have and give the 1.6 grand a bon voyage party.

Imagine a 30" that starts out at 25 or 26"

Or a 32" at 28".

Don't need these high pitches then a 28" at 23" imagine that puppies launch!

I have 5 of those $400 wheels and they all launch me just fine...If I lose one I still have 4 spares to dip into...I would like to try one of those cutting edge props though...Let's see..I could sell 4 of my collection and buy one of these monsters and still have a spare....You say they have cleavers?

They call them something else on their site but they do have cleaver blades.

I think you have to custom order in the larger sizes so if your interested at all send them an E-mail or call them.

I downloaded the manual and adjusting the thing doesn't seem to difficult.

Not sure how you would change a prop in the water. I've done it at the shore but in deep water I doubt I could do it.

But then I'm putting a troll motor on!!!

Even better post a question on the S&F site asking about them. Should get at least 1 answer from someone who is or has used them.

I would keep that 24 Yama-copy.

A 26 Yama would be good too.

I think the ET's make the boat more flighty than the Yama's do.   Yamaa's also leave the line a little harder but dont pull through the upper midrange quite as good, especially with a passenger.

Of course thats only what I found on my rig.

Randy.

417-779-3357 shop, 9-5.

Is anyone running a Mazco RE?  I spoke w. Dennis at Mercury Racing, he was reluctant to putting an et on a Euro due to the lift, he seemed to lean more towards a cleaver. My boat is 98 Euro w/ a 93 2.5.   I am currently running a 15 X 28 cleaver @ 7000-7200 @ 93.3, will a round ear produce anymore top end or should I go for a 30 cleaver.  Mazco also does the OS cleaver, are they comparable to the Merc products.  Great site w/ loads of great information.

TRIMMED...out....

THANKS for stopping buy...make sure you post some pics and THANKS for the kind words.

Every STV owner shoud hae a 14.5" x 30" Merc Cleavr in thier possesion...they are the Best Prop for medium to light loads and varying water conditions....The MERC ET...is also very popular with STV owners too.

Personally I would stay away form RE high Rake props...A powered STV like yours really does not need the bow lift...when properly flown, the the STV benefits from flying flat with nice tail lift from a Cleaver Style prop.

This Pic shows a Euro flying flat and fast with 2.5 EFI power.

Hope this helps some.

post-2-1058359719.jpg

Heres what this site is missing on the home page...

We need someone to scan the prop testing done on the two STV Euro's in Hot Boat.  I am sure that would help members out tremendously.  I have a faxed copy but not an original.  If someone has the original how about scanning it for members to read.  Maybe email it to Larry.

I read it last weekend.  The Mazco's work well if they are made for an STV. (less cup)  Friend runs a 29 on his Triad Euro and it works great.

The SRX props get the best overall rating for performance/acceleration and cost however they recommend a work up from company's such as DAH. I believe they polish them and thin the blades a little.  (I run one and love it)

The cleaver is your top end weapon and I agree with Anthony on the 14.5 x 30. (have one too)

Hope this helps.

When I first purchased my Euro I tried a Mazco RE29 & RE27 but only netted speeds in the low 90's and that's with a 99 280. I also talked to Dennis before ordering the ET28 and he did comment on going with a cleaver versus the ET but said since I'm carrying some weight it should work well. The ET has very little bow lift as compared to the Mazco RE props and you can't go wrong in getting an ET. On mine the ET28 goes to the limiter very quickly(7700). Next I added a Merc lab 14.5x30p cleaver which netted about 5mph over the ET at the same RPM. The difference to me is the ET takes a bit longer to get the last 3-4mph than the cleaver. Over all for 99% of your boating an ET is the way to go. Now as for the Hot Boat article I think it's flawed, but the data it got is good for general comparsions between the props tested. Also, John Tiger requested I pull the article because it's his copyrited works. I do have it and will forward the report if anyone is interested... just e-0mail me!