Sign in to follow this  
Administrator

Medallion speedo pickup breakage

About once a year I break the pickup($50) off and it's always going at slow speeds. I'm not lucky! What I just did was make some brackets to add a little strength to the mounting tabs with some hope of making it last longer. The question is has anyone ran this pickup with out running the hoses through the base connection? Mine hangs down below the hull about 4 inches, is this correct? I guess this increases the pressure against the pickup as speed/pressure increases but the thing seems to have enough pressure to hold it. Going to try Friday night and see what happens. Any comments?

YES...running the hoses thru the base pressurizes the chamber to hold the thing down, the faster you go. Or course it will eith kick up or break off if it hits something.

On my old stream I had it land in the boat once...We did all kinds of things to reinforce those things too...but in the end we made a replacement via the gaffrig stlye...

here is a DIY project for ya if you ever get tired of the Medallion Pitot

http://www.hydrostream.org/ArticleArchives/Pitot.htm

http://www.hydrostream.org/ArticleArchives/Pitot2.htm

JJones, that's the way I think I'm going when it breaks again. I was looking for the digital GPS over at Graffrig but only found the analog type. Do you have the part number and how much was the kit? Where did you mount the antenna?

Later going boatin'

I don't use an 'in dash' GPS speedo...Saw this one over on S&F..I use the old stand by hand held one with a dash mount bracket...Can't afford this new high tech stuff...anyway on graffrig's home site the part number is 4042 for the 'head' or in dash speedo part..cost is $198...the sender is another matter...another $200 for it and I don't see an antenna with it...seems to work off a transducer type thingy...So far the hand held one works just fine...I still need to hard wire it to get away from the batteries

Until I get the money together to purchase the GPS unit how far does everyones speedo pickup hang down?

OK..my speedo pick up is located on the right sponson and the spring loaded pick up tube hangs down 4" below the sponson...this was measured with a level held against the bottom of the sponson..I don't really use the speedo but it only works when the speed is above 30 or so...I've had to pick wood out of it a few times after hitting trash in the river...Mines a graffrig unit and came with the boat

You probably have a hand held GPS but if not one very nice feature of the GPSs are the ability to read 5MPH no wake speeds. I was surprised to find that my no wake speed was really about 3 mph.

If your stuck on keeping it then don't use that plastic thing, Either make your own or buy one of the solid aluminum ones, at least they won't break anymore.

2 styles. Tubing or solid with a bored hole. I tried both. The solid needs a very long drill bit. Aviation bit. feed it and remove it constantly to get a straight hole. Shape the outside for a nice shape.